By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forbes - Is the death of consoles inevitable?

archer9234 said:
TheMessiah said:

The rest of tech industry. Only 2 years after Xbox One and PS4 released, Nintendo look likely to bring out a hybrid, with the same power, a 1080p screen, much smaller form factor than the PS4 and a wealth of connecting means not even in the PS4 or Xbox One. And knowing Nintendo they will be cheap in price to. A device small enough to be a handheld and powerful enough to be a home console via hdmi dongle attached. However you look at it, the PS4 and Xbox One are currently very old tech already.

Its not just about power though. Its more and more about features. 4k, Connecting other devices and so on.

4K is power. And what else do consoles need to connect to?

Its not about need. Phones don't need apps....... It all depends if the rumours are true anyway.

Around the Network
TheMessiah said:
archer9234 said:

4K is power. And what else do consoles need to connect to?

Its not about need. Phones don't need apps....... It all depends if the rumours are true anyway.

You just said they need two things. Now they don't? Make up your mind. Either the incimental upgrades are important. Or they're not. Phones did need apps. Because people have always wanted a portible computer, since day 1. We have them now. They work fine. Everything else that gets added, becomes fluff. Like 3D Touch. The cool new feature of peeking ar your emails. That totally couldn't of been done, with an exsisting swipe gesture built into the app. You gotta buy that new phone, for this amazing new feature. Instead of doing reseach on making longer batteries.

archer9234 said:
TheMessiah said:

You just said they need two things. Now they don't? Make up your mind. Either the incimental upgrades are important. Or they're not. Phones did need apps. Because people have always wanted a portible computer, since day 1. We have them now. They work fine. Everything else that gets added, becomes fluff. Like 3D Touch. The cool new feature of peeking ar your emails. That totally couldn't of been done, with an exsisting swipe gesture built into the app. You gotta buy that new phone, for this amazing new feature. Instead of doing reseach on making longer batteries.

Sorry. I meant consoles dont need to do anything other than games. Same as phones don't need to do anything orher than call. But tech changes perception. I actually expect eventually Smart TVs will just play games straight from services like Xbox live or PSnow. Buts before the worlds internet is ready for that on mass scale, I think upgradeable consoles are the next step. new models every 3 years. Like PS4 s. Or the like. I think that's what MS is hinting at.

Lawlight said:
Soundwave said:

I think so yes. We are closer to the end than we are to the beginning for sure.

Our kids will laugh at us when we say we needed a shoe box sized "machine" to sit under the television to play video games on which come on plate-sized shiny discs that you had to buy one at a time from the store. They likely will have no concept of that idea at all.

I've always kinda said this but I think there will be a Playstation 5 ... sure. But Playstation 6 ... nope. Not in a traditional sense.

I kinda feel bad if you love consoles, but are just getting into it now or recently. The 80s/90s/2000s were the zenith of consoles, we are now heading towards the extinction phase. 

So, we'll use magic to stream games straight to our brains?

There are lots of things today that would seem like "magic" 15 years ago. 

If you told someone in the year 1999/2000 that you'd be able to carry around a device the size of half a deck of cards that can store thousands of CDs worth of music on it in 1s and 0s a lot of people wouldn't believe it, and that's just a iPod, which is laughably outdated compared to an iPhone. 

Or you could just watch thousands of movies ala carte at home instantly with the click of a button rather than having to go to Blockbuster Video to rent them like everyone did in the past. 

There will be plenty of things your kids laugh at, game consoles is likely one of them. 

In the future I imagine likely all your movies/games/music etc. will be streamed to whatever device you feel like playing on, physical media and dedicated consoles will go the way of the dodo and dinosaur. 

That and in 10-15 years even pocket smartphone devices will be able to generate incredibly high end visuals, rendering a giant sized console moot. 

BraLoD said:
TheMessiah said:

The rest of tech industry. Only 2 years after Xbox One and PS4 released, Nintendo look likely to bring out a hybrid, with the same power, a 1080p screen, much smaller form factor than the PS4 and a wealth of connecting means not even in the PS4 or Xbox One. And knowing Nintendo they will be cheap in price to. A device small enough to be a handheld and powerful enough to be a home console via hdmi dongle attached. However you look at it, the PS4 and Xbox One are currently very old tech already.

Its not just about power though. Its more and more about features. 4k, Connecting other devices and so on.

So you are making a point PS4 and XBO will be left behind because 3 years later Nintendo can release a system with power in between those (still weaker than PS4 by the rumors) that will be priced over both (349 pounds as said in your next post)?

That doesn't make any kind of sense, you are just telling Sony and MS were 3 years ahead of Nintendo techwise and that the kind of power they have is the desired for Nintendo for their next generation.

What is being left behind?

PS4 low end hardware will still deliver the most beautiful game to date on all platform this first half of the year, seems like power is not a problem as well, there is nothing being left behind. Nothing.

Yeah but Nintendo are achieving that with a mobile architecture so as to be mobile. Hence the hybrid. Your getting 2 devices in 1 like the Surface Pro. If they were to build a console and not a hybrid they could achieve more power than the current PS4/Xbox One easily. I'm simply showing how 2 years on even with Mobile tech Nintendo can achieve the same level of power as under TVs consoles.

I think Quantum Break is one of the best visuals Ive ever seen. But with more power like 12 gb ddr4 ram, 2x generational GPU it would be able to have better textures etc etc like a top end PC

Around the Network
BraLoD said:

You shouldn't try to explain me something you didn't even got right, buddy.

He said Nintendo is self sustainable and that neithet MS or Sony could survive as Nintendo without 3rd party support.

I said Nintendo is no different, they need 3rd party support just like anyone else, and they are constantly declining in sales the more they lose support and that is by no means self sustainable.

I'm not the one saying Sony would survive without it, where are you even getting it from? I do said Sony has a lot of 1st party power as well and attach ratios would increase in a situation like Nintendo is facing. And also that PS is not going anywhere while Nintendo keep "bravely fighting alone", because PS is stronger than ever was.

Never said Nintendo future is bad as well, but that Nintendo is not self sustainable and Wii U and other systems are proof they need 3rd party support, are you sure you are quoting the right person? I would appreacite you read what I post before trying saying I'm "fully aware but don't want to accept or believe" something else of what have I been discussing. Try not to make fun of yourself by trying to make fun of me.

Everything I said was dead on about you. That attach ratio nonsense is enough proof you actually believe Sonys first party power isnt laughable at best. Sony's first party might has never saved any of Sonys plats that needed them. PS3 was constantly getting outsold by Wii without 3rd party support. Where was Sonys first party power then? PSP and Vita also needed Sony and they were no where to be found. The point is you are clearly sticking to shitting on WiiU for obvious reasons. GB, GBA, Wii, DS, and 3DS prove Nintys power is strong enough to sustain themselves. You cant even name a single example of Sony saving their own plats. So no you are wrong, Ninty is self sustainable according to the dozens of examples of success on their own. 

Attach ratios increasing mean nothing if the SALES wouldnt. The hardware would sell WiiU levels and software even worse if Sony was in this position, see Vita. You would think Sony would be making bank on first party software for Vita. You have nothing backing up Sony's first party games would sell more without 3rd party support, Vita and PSP prove as much lol.

TheMessiah said:
Lawlight said:

Left behind what?

The PS4 is already behind the tech industry but is selling gangbusters? PS4 is very old tech yet they bringing VR to consoles? So, does power matter?

As for wealth of connecting means, you haven't said what that means.

As for handheld device, we people don't want to carry more than their phone.

Soundwave said:
Lawlight said:

If you told someone in the year 1999/2000 that you'd be able to carry around a device the size of half a deck of cards that can store thousands of CDs worth of music on it in 1s and 0s a lot of people wouldn't believe it, and that's just a iPod, which is laughably outdated compared to an iPhone. 

Or you could just watch thousands of movies ala carte at home instantly with the click of a button rather than having to go to Blockbuster Video to rent them like everyone did in the past. 

There will be plenty of things your kids laugh at, game consoles is likely one of them. 

In the future I imagine likely all your movies/games/music etc. will be streamed to whatever device you feel like playing on, physical media and dedicated consoles will go the way of the dodo and dinosaur. 

That and in 10-15 years even pocket smartphone devices will be able to generate incredibly high end visuals, rendering a giant sized console moot. 

It truly is funny seeing people like you and spemanpig take different types of media and apply them to video games. The fact of the matter is video games are nothing like the other types of media out there. Music and books take very little space and havent taken much more space compared to their past counterparts. Does Michael Jacksons Thiller take much more space than Adeles 25? No, now can you say the same about Super Mario Bros. all the way up to NSMBU? The medias arent at all comparable, thats why all digital works for music and books. Music and books in the next century probably will take no more space than they do now.

Movies is also another monster media that is nothing like video games. The reason streaming a movie works vs. video games is simple really. Lag has no effect on a movie, you can simply rewind and watch a segment back over. Video games now have tons of online lag issues, now you want my single player games to face the sames lag issues? No thanks.

Soundwave said:
Lawlight said:

Yes, they would since the first MP3 player was released in 1998.

And Internet already existed in the year 2000 as did video streaming, so yeah, they would have believed that.

One more thing that you got wrong - dedicated consoles have not existed since the PS2 days. People have been using consoles to watch movies and listen to music since the PS3/X360 generation. Whether the form factor changes or not, there will no one device to replace everything just like there is no one service to replace everything. 

BraLoD said:
Nintyfan90 said:

Everything I said was dead on about you. That attach ratio nonsense is enough proof you actually believe Sonys first party power isnt laughable at best. Sony's first party might has never saved any of Sonys plats that needed them. PS3 was constantly getting outsold by Wii without 3rd party support. Where was Sonys first party power then? PSP and Vita also needed Sony and they were no where to be found. The point is you are clearly sticking to shitting on WiiU for obvious reasons. GB, GBA, Wii, DS, and 3DS prove Nintys power is strong enough to sustain themselves. You cant even name a single example of Sony saving their own plats. So no you are wrong, Ninty is self sustainable according to the dozens of examples of success on their own. 

Attach ratios increasing mean nothing if the SALES wouldnt. The hardware would sell WiiU levels and software even worse if Sony was in this position, see Vita. You would think Sony would be making bank on first party software for Vita. You have nothing backing up Sony's first party games would sell more without 3rd party support, Vita and PSP prove as much lol.

Lol, are you even trying dude? Don't move the subject to something else on your own so you can start having a conversation with yourself, at least not while quoting me.

What...I replied to exactly what you said. But humor me, what did I say that has no reason to be there? The first part refering to Sony was in reply to you saying Sony's attach ratios would increase if Sony had no 3rd party support. I simply said that means nothing if the games are still selling terribly bad like Sonys games do on Vita and still failing to move hardware. The part about Ninty is refering to you constantly pinpointing WiiU lol. WiiU has proven it needs 3rd party support. Not GB, GBA, DS, Wii, or 3DS. Yet you only want to pinpoint WiiU? I wonder why.