By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forbes - Is the death of consoles inevitable?

Nintyfan90 said:
Soundwave said:

There are lots of things today that would seem like "magic" 15 years ago. 

If you told someone in the year 1999/2000 that you'd be able to carry around a device the size of half a deck of cards that can store thousands of CDs worth of music on it in 1s and 0s a lot of people wouldn't believe it, and that's just a iPod, which is laughably outdated compared to an iPhone. 

Or you could just watch thousands of movies ala carte at home instantly with the click of a button rather than having to go to Blockbuster Video to rent them like everyone did in the past. 

There will be plenty of things your kids laugh at, game consoles is likely one of them. 

In the future I imagine likely all your movies/games/music etc. will be streamed to whatever device you feel like playing on, physical media and dedicated consoles will go the way of the dodo and dinosaur. 

That and in 10-15 years even pocket smartphone devices will be able to generate incredibly high end visuals, rendering a giant sized console moot. 

It truly is funny seeing people like you and spemanpig take different types of media and apply them to video games. The fact of the matter is video games are nothing like the other types of media out there. Music and books take very little space and havent taken much more space compared to their past counterparts. Does Michael Jacksons Thiller take much more space than Adeles 25? No, now can you say the same about Super Mario Bros. all the way up to NSMBU? The medias arent at all comparable, thats why all digital works for music and books. Music and books in the next century probably will take no more space than they do now.

Movies is also another monster media that is nothing like video games. The reason streaming a movie works vs. video games is simple really. Lag has no effect on a movie, you can simply rewind and watch a segment back over. Video games now have tons of online lag issues, now you want my single player games to face the sames lag issues? No thanks.

Higher speed internet and things like Google Fiber are inevitable. If you think your kids will be using the same internet you are think again. 

Storage space is accelerating all the time too, I don't see that as a particularily huge issue. 

If you think gaming will largely be the same in 15-20 years as it is today .... I'll just say I seriously, seriously doubt it. I think by then the "giant shoe box under your TV to play video games" concept will be more or less dead. 

A kid's cell phone will likely be able to stream games to any display around them with graphics that are approaching/close to photorealism. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Nintyfan90 said:

It truly is funny seeing people like you and spemanpig take different types of media and apply them to video games. The fact of the matter is video games are nothing like the other types of media out there. Music and books take very little space and havent taken much more space compared to their past counterparts. Does Michael Jacksons Thiller take much more space than Adeles 25? No, now can you say the same about Super Mario Bros. all the way up to NSMBU? The medias arent at all comparable, thats why all digital works for music and books. Music and books in the next century probably will take no more space than they do now.

Movies is also another monster media that is nothing like video games. The reason streaming a movie works vs. video games is simple really. Lag has no effect on a movie, you can simply rewind and watch a segment back over. Video games now have tons of online lag issues, now you want my single player games to face the sames lag issues? No thanks.

Higher speed internet and things like Google Fiber are inevitable. If you think your kids will be using the same internet you are think again. 

Storage space is accelerating all the time too, I don't see that as a particularily huge issue. 

If you think gaming will largely be the same in 15-20 years as it is today .... I'll just say I seriously, seriously doubt it. I think by then the "giant shoe box under your TV to play video games" concept will be more or less dead. 

A kid's cell phone will likely be able to stream games to any display around them with graphics that are approaching/close to photorealism. 

Games will also continue to become more complicated leading to better connections being required regardless and companies will also continue to abuse data caps. Streaming video games has a place no doubt (rental) but its simply not practical everywhere.

Nintyfan90 said:
Soundwave said:

Games will also continue to become more complicated leading to better connections being required regardless and companies will also continue to abuse data caps. Streaming video games has a place no doubt (rental) but its simply not practical everywhere.

Netflix isn't practical everywhere either. Hell it doesn't even most new release movies. 

Yet Blockbuster Video is extinct now and so is basically all movie rental houses, and that used to be a staple of America at least, going off to Blockbuster with the family on a Friday night to pick out some movies. 

Things change. Fact of the matter is too, the people who grew up on things like the PS2 (or even earlier) will be like 40-50 years old in 15-20 years. That encompasses most of this board. Their opinions on hardware media are simply not going to matter as much. 

This board insists over and over again that no one should play smartphone games and you need real buttons to play "real" games ... but you ask a kid who's 9 years old and he doesn't give a a shit about any of that he didn't grow up with a NES or Playstation that stuff doesn't mean the same thing to him. 

Once you have things like Google Fiber or its alternatives spread throughout most of North America/Europe/Japan, it doesn't matter what the graphics capability of a game is because the signal is just being streamed, but the control lag will be reduced to the point where most people simply won't care for physical game consoles IMO. 

That and on the other side you'll have smartphones that are absurdly powerful in 15-20 years capable of generating basically any type of game world at a high quality and being able to display that graphic on any display with the snap of a finger. You'll just need a controller if even that. 

Soundwave said:
Nintyfan90 said:

Netflix isn't practical everywhere either. Hell it doesn't even most new release movies. 

Yet Blockbuster Video is extinct now and so is basically all movie rental houses, and that used to be a staple of America at least, going off to Blockbuster with the family on a Friday night to pick out some movies. 

Things change. Fact of the matter is too, the people who grew up on things like the PS2 (or even earlier) will be like 50 years old in 15-20 years. That encompasses most of this board. Their opinions on hardware media are simply not going to matter as much. 

This board insists over and over again that no one should play smartphone games and you need real buttons to play "real" games ... but you ask a kid who's 9 years old and he doesn't give a a shit about any of that. 

Once you have things like Google Fiber or its alternatives spread throughout most of North America/Europe/Japan, it doesn't matter what the graphics capability of a game is because the signal is just being streamed, but the control lag will be reduced to the point where most people simply won't care for physical game consoles IMO. 

That and on the other side you'll have smartphones that are absurdly powerful in 15-20 years capable of generating basically any type of game world at a high quality and being able to display that graphic on any display with the snap of a finger. 

Yes because its more convinent to rent from home. Buying movies physically hasnt died now has it?

Soundwave said:
Nintyfan90 said:

My internet speed hasn't increased since 2009. So, if I had a kid back then, yes, s/he would have been using the same internet as I did.

And we've been hearing that phones will replace consoles for 5 years now.

Around the Network

These articles on the heels of Microsoft's statements are always dubious.

It's not going anywhere for the time beeing. Microsoft just finally realised that they don't have whats needed to dominate on that market and chose a different one. If it was the X1 having the PS4's sales, we wouldn't be reading this article.

Microsoft starts putting exclusives on PC...so it's the "death of consoles"? Lol. Okay. Maybe it's simply a sign Microsoft shouldn't have gotten into console gaming the first place?

BraLoD said:
                        You don't even read what I post, I already showed that on the first time I quoted you, but yet again, just so I can leave you having a conversation with your own, the whole point about attach ratio was exactly the opposite you are taking, it was just a showcase of Nintendo having high attach hates also comes from their having lesser hardware sales, that the same would happen to Sony, and that this whole attach rate thing means nothing, which you are trying to make a go of me saying otherwise and saying in response to that which was never said the exact same thing I'm pointing, as if you are taking what I'm pointing and inverting it, just so you can have a conversation that is not even happening.
About the console stuff, the Wii U is just the culmination of Nintendo losing support over the years (which has been what I've been saying the whole time, I'm not focusing on the system) more and more until number like got SEGA DreamCast an early death and are also giving the Wii U one, with all the fuss being another system so it can someone changes things, Nintendo has been losing power ever since they got competiton and started losing support, from the NES to the Wii U all consoles except the Wii, which are 4/5 new systems show a clear decline, from 60M to 40M to 30M to 20M to 100M (Wii, the outside of the curve) to 15M at best now.
The more Nintendo loses support the more they lose power and sales, and that situation is anything but self sustainable, which has been the whole point I've been discussing with the other user until you felt like having a conversation of your own while quoting me.
Even their safe zone which was the Handheld market is also declining already as well, which are 4 or your 5 examples of Nintendo not getting support, which is ridiculous as Nintendo handhelds get droves of support, but that was never part of the point I've been making, just to try to address something to all this nonsense.

So yeah, I'm full of your nonsense that has nothing to do with what I've been saying and it turning in whatever you want to turn it to for obvious reasons, just do that somewhere else other than quoting me, it's annoying, even as it's hilarious.

And... I'm done with you.

Ok now i get it, the typical Nintendo doom and gloom is all youre spewing.

Fail 1. "Nintendo having high attach rates also comes from their having lesser hardware sales"

Nintendo games have very high attach ratios with all of Nintys platforms including Wii. But ofcourse you are trying to desperately push some kind of agenda like Sony could do the same, with no history of showing it. Sony has a poor selling plat in Vita, attach ratios are a joke. PS4 is a high selling platform where Sonys first party games will also fail to have high attach ratios. They gotta sell way more than 10 million of a single game(a feat Sony pulls very rarely) to have an attach ratio on Nintys level.

Fail 2. " NES to the Wii U all consoles except the Wii"

When you have to use the word "except" there is a obvious flaw in your argument. You are clearly just further spewing the same Ninty doom and gloom we have been hearing forever lol. The Wii being the exception puts a damper on your argument, it proves Ninty is capable of self sustainment. It proves if Ninty does a better job of supporting their own plats, they could sustain. Now you even bring handhelds into this declining argument all because of one decline? Now i see why he gave up explaining this to you. You are so caught up on trying to shit on Wiiu, you want to ignore all of Nintys proof of self sustainment. They dont need home consoles and have clearly given up on them. Does Vita prove Sony will go the way of Sega? No lol because of Sonys success in the home console market, so why childishly ignore Nintys success in the handheld market? Thats the kind of argument he wants to dodge from you because he knows most Ninty haters think just like this "home console market is all that matters to me because Sony is owning it". Meanwhile Ninty continues to stack just as much money as Sony, showing Sony just how much Ninty needs 3rd parties(no much).

I'll believe consoles are on their way out when we start seeing stuff like Call of Duty and GTAV sell at $60 dollars on the App Store/Google Play and do well.

Until then, the markets are divergent enough to ensure that both have a place in the gaming landscape.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

Seriously. This is troubling. The fact that the console could be considered "dead" just because Microsoft doesn't want to make console games anymore is silly. If anything this shows a weird, scary ALLEGIANCE people have with Microsoft.