By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - I'm worried for the future Xbox...

Are you worried about the future of Xbox?

Yes. Their vision is bein... 320 68.52%

No. Phil knows what he's doing. 73 15.63%

PHIL IS A GOD! PRAISE UPO... 19 4.07%

Console peasants just mak... 55 11.78%

Total:467

I've never owned an Xbox, but I really liked the 360 (I never bought one because my friend had one, and I had a PS3, so we each got to play all of the major games).

It's a shame to see them shifting their focus in a direction that isn't quite clear right now, but appears to be away from traditional console gaming. I also do see some peoples concerns about MS trying to limit the freedom that many go to PC gaming for.

But, maybe it will all workout. We'll just have to wait and see.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network

Not a great time to be an xbox fan.Exclusives might not sell consoles on their own, but when all things are practically equal (power, price, features, third party exclusives) it's normally the first party exclusives that get people buying consoles. First party titles matter.

MS feels like it's slowing pulling the plug on the whole thing while making sure everyone notices. If this keeps up, Xbox won't be a console, it will be a brand of MS-certified entertainment center-ready, like Steam Boxes, except with Microsoft's walled garden instead of Valve's. Somehow that seems far less appealing to me than even a steam box sounds, and it seems the target market for steam boxes is precisely no one.

Oh, and speaking of how important exclusives are, I think it's very shortsighted to say that an exclusive is only worth it's sales.

Who gets the most excited by exclusives? Hardcore gamers.

Who frequent video game forums, and post things on Facebook and twitter about video games? Hardcore gamers.

Who work in the Gamestops and electronics departments that sell everyone else their games? Hardcore gamers.

The value of a hardcore gamer to a brand like Xbox or Playstation goes way beyond just his money, because that's the person that's going to create hype, and talk to people at work, and tell their friends which console they should buy, and make/watch YouTube videos, ect.

They're also the people who livestream the E3 conferences and roll their eyes when COD comes up, but then freak out when they show something like TLG.

That base is immensely important to these brands, and they care about exclusives.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

spemanig said:
Nah, I'm all for it. MS are going to be extremely successful after the XBO is done. That PC-console hybrid platform is going to work wonders for them.

How sucesful like steam machines? I mean that would be pretty big for microsoft to achieve that.

whao backwards compatibility is not going well too? only 20 games so many months from 100 they say they add every time? why what happen?
The only that i don't understand is how MS is on pc games now or care about it, because Valve and steam = pc gaming. Maybe they have to start the fight again with valve and he use some good xbone exclusives games? or all that about pc is nothing and MS blows as away with console games for the good of competition

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
Azzanation said:

Thinwhat u lik,eThere is no need to downpaly anything because the proof is right in your face. WiiU has the most exclusives and is the least selling. PS4 has the most 3rd party games and is the highest seller. There is only 1 PS4 exclusve in the top 10 selling games on it. Where are those 10+ million sellers for the PS4 or XB1? Where are those who buy a PS4 buying those 1st party games? Thats right there isnt many. My facts are based off charts, yours arent. Go ahead and look them up, suprise yourself.

The XB1 and PS4 will continue to sell because they have strong 3rd party support and many gamers want a console to game on. Why is the XB1 the 2nd best selling console this gen outselling a console with the best 1st party support?

On don't try to play that shit. You never look up a thing to save your life. Many times, people have set you straight with facts/charts but you ignore it and stop posting/replying in the thread altogether. Did I say that exclusives sell really well or top the charts? Nope. Because what games are selling are not really that relevent in this because they can't explain why somone bought one console over another. You have to ask gamers to find that out.

I'll put it a way so you might understand or that you can't deny it. If any xbox fans are asked why they chose to buy an xbox one. They'll most likely say it's because of the exclusives or exclusive IP series.  It's no different with any of the big 3. 

Why dd you buy an xbox one, azzanation? Are you gonna tell us it's because of the multiplatform games? *Rolls eyes

If I ask you why there's any reason to buy a xbox one right now. Are you gonna tell me the reasons are muliplatform games?

Think what you like. No one here has proven me wrong, the problem, is when I list facts fans change the subject, much like what you’re doing right now instead of answering my post with a reply to my question. Your now asking me an off topic question. Ill bite for your question. The reason I brought an XB1 was so I can play Xbox games in my living room. I am not plugging in my giant PC tower in the living room.

Now back on topic. If so many of you say 1st party exclusives mean everything then what are PS4 gamers buying? Why hasn’t any of their 1st party exclusives sold 40m+ to match the console sales? Because gamers don’t follow exclusives unless you’re an extremist. They follow the big 3rd party games hence my original post which stats the truth. Sony's only 1st party title in the top 10 is a remastered PS3 game which was heavily bundled at launch. WiiU has the best 1st party titles and why isn’t the WiiU outselling the PS4? Because I goes back to what I said. Those games are a bonus to a console not a necessary.

The fact you didn’t even bother proof reading what I said, you have just proven me right. The charts don’t lie. Now if you have anything important to say related to my post then I will continue this conversation. If not I am not going to reply with your off topic questions.

Let me tell you a joke: there will be another Xbox.

Azzanation said:
Aeolus451 said:

On don't try to play that shit. You never look up a thing to save your life. Many times, people have set you straight with facts/charts but you ignore it and stop posting/replying in the thread altogether. Did I say that exclusives sell really well or top the charts? Nope. Because what games are selling are not really that relevent in this because they can't explain why somone bought one console over another. You have to ask gamers to find that out.

I'll put it a way so you might understand or that you can't deny it. If any xbox fans are asked why they chose to buy an xbox one. They'll most likely say it's because of the exclusives or exclusive IP series.  It's no different with any of the big 3. 

Why dd you buy an xbox one, azzanation? Are you gonna tell us it's because of the multiplatform games? *Rolls eyes

If I ask you why there's any reason to buy a xbox one right now. Are you gonna tell me the reasons are muliplatform games?

Think what you like. No one here has proven me wrong, the problem, is when I list facts fans change the subject, much like what you’re doing right now instead of answering my post with a reply to my question. Your now asking me an off topic question. Ill bite for your question. The reason I brought an XB1 was so I can play Xbox games in my living room. I am not plugging in my giant PC tower in the living room.

Now back on topic. If so many of you say 1st party exclusives mean everything then what are PS4 gamers buying? Why hasn’t any of their 1st party exclusives sold 40m+ to match the console sales? Because gamers don’t follow exclusives unless you’re an extremist. They follow the big 3rd party games hence my original post which stats the truth. Sony's only 1st party title in the top 10 is a remastered PS3 game which was heavily bundled at launch. WiiU has the best 1st party titles and why isn’t the WiiU outselling the PS4? Because I goes back to what I said. Those games are a bonus to a console not a necessary.

The fact you didn’t even bother proof reading what I said, you have just proven me right. The charts don’t lie. Now if you have anything important to say related to my post then I will continue this conversation. If not I am not going to reply with your off topic questions.

As I said, software sales don't reflect why someone bought a console. So what's topping software sales don't prove anything one way or another. Your own words prove my point. "The reason I brought an XB1 was so I can play xbox games in my living room. I am not plugging in my giant PC tower in the living room." Thank you for actually answering that question, though.

The only reason why I responded to your post was because you think exclusives make no difference or that they are overrated which you're completely wrong about. They are extremely important to the big 3. 

You already know I agree, Super. Xbox is the Decepticon to Playstation's Autobot. Can't have light without dark, man.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Aeolus451 said:
Azzanation said:

As I said, software sales don't reflect why someone bought a console. So what's topping software sales don't prove anything one way or another. Your own words prove my point. "The reason I brought an XB1 was so I can play xbox games in my living room. I am not plugging in my giant PC tower in the living room." Thank you for actually answering that question, though.

The only reason why I responded to your post was because you think exclusives make no difference or that they are overrated which you're completely wrong about. They are extremely important to the big 3. 

My point still stands. If gamers aren’t buying 1st party exclusives for a Console then what are they buying the console for? Clearly not 1st party exclusives because sale wise there nowhere near on the charts which is exactly my point. People and gamers are buying consoles for many more reasons than just 1st party games. The experience, the price, the hardware, the 3rd party support, the features and the most important one of them all… the marketing. 1st party games was always meant to compliment a console not drive its sales.

Yes i own all consoles, and i will always prefer buying Xbox titles on my Xbox, PC titles on my PC, PS titles on my PS and Nintendo titles on my Nintendo. But guess where i spend most of my gaming? On my PC where the major 3rd party support is. Is that a coincidence? No. Thats the way gaming is these days.