By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Amiibo is the worst thing to happen this generation

Tagged games:

What do you think about it?

Amiibo = shit 179 29.88%

Amiibo = meh 152 25.38%

Amiibo = love 167 27.88%

BraLoD = hater 51 8.51%

BraLoD slept with Sanic 50 8.35%

Total:599
Goodnightmoon said:
Pavolink said:
You can unlock majority of the costumes in SMM without amiibo. So it is false the without amiibo that content would have not been in the game.

Except Takashi Tezuka himself said that the costumes from different franchises were an idea they implemented when they were looking for something to add to amiibo, those costumes were going to be exclusive to the toy until few months before the release, but at the end they decided to have it unlocked because they though most fans would love them.

This is main point about Amiibo that some people don't actually realise, over 90% of the small things amiibo unlocks, wouldn't exist at all without Amiibo. Nintendo make complete game and than they thinking how to add some small thing for Amiibo.

Costumes in Mario Maker and Mario Kart 8 wouldn't exist at all without Amiibo, stamp in Toads Treasure Tracker, controlling two Yoshis in Yoshi Woolly World, new cave in TP HD, Retro arwing in Star Fox Zero....basically none of this wouldn't exist without Amiibo.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
Jon-Erich said:

A few things needed to be pointed out.

First, Amiibos also serve as collectables. So unlike Capcom and their on disc DLC, you actually get something extra from Nintendo. Also, unlike Capcom, Nintendo is open and honest about their content and they don't try to hide it. That is a good thing because honesty is something that is missing in the industry today.

Second, most Amiibo content is minor and any game you play that contains Amiibo content still feels complete without it. I have yet to use any of my Amiibos for Smash Bros. and yet I never felt cheated. Now, if Nintendo pulled a Capcom and released Smash Bros. without a basic single player modr, then I would feel cheated.

Finally, Amiibo is a cancer? You can look past the unfinished, broken games (Assassins Creed Unity, Battlefield 4), fake game trailers and demonstrations (Watch Dogs), Steam Greenlight games (too many examples), online modes working worse than games from a decade ago (Halo: The Master Chief Collection) or publishers simply lying about their games (Batman: Arkham Knight PC version) and you think Amiibos are the worst thing to come out of the 8th generation? 

Personally, if given a choice, I would rather have every single 8th gen game have Amiibo compatibility if all those other problems were to vanish overnight.

I have been saying this for months, but no one is gonna listen to you, you cannot fight a trend and now the amiibo hate is trendy even for people that buys one per day XD

You gotta say YES, is the worst thing ever, is totally ruining my gaming experience, all my games are incomplete, is worse than EA etc and move out.

Honestly, if someone doesn't like the Amiibos, I can respect their opinion. Not everybody likes to collect stuff and that is half of the appeal of the Amiibos. Some people just want to play a game. I can understand that end of the argument, but to call it the worst thing to happen in the 8th gen is something that I can't accept. There's just so much other crap going on and the videogame industry is a complete mess right now. If you ever looked at Amiibos in a negative way, I still don't think they would be on any top 10 list of things that are wrong with modern gaming.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

No game so far has had a lesser experience if you don't use amiibo, all they do is add little extras. Plus it's fun to collect them. They also can be used in a variety of games, so if you don't like them don't buy them, you're still playing a full game

ExplodingBlock said:
No game so far has had a lesser experience if you don't use amiibo

Starfox Zero without the retro extras in a lesser experience for me.

curl-6 said:
ExplodingBlock said:
No game so far has had a lesser experience if you don't use amiibo

Well aside from adding a nice visual aesthetic the gameplay is still the same

Around the Network
ExplodingBlock said:
curl-6 said:

Well aside from adding a nice visual aesthetic the gameplay is still the same

As somebody who grew up with Starfox SNES, the nostalgia factor would have added immensely to my enjoyment.

Bandorr said:
ExplodingBlock said:
No game so far has had a lesser experience if you don't use amiibo, all they do is add little extras. Plus it's fun to collect them. They also can be used in a variety of games, so if you don't like them don't buy them, you're still playing a full game

All of shovel knight co-op is hidden behind an amiibo. That is an entire game mode hidden behind one.

Mario party, Amiibo crossing = games dependent on the Amiibo. No Amiibo no game.

Doesn't Yoshi's wooly world require an amiibo to play two player?

So I certaintly wouldn't say "no game so far".

One of the reasons I didn't get splatoon is because the content locked behind the amiibos looked more than that actual single player and that weird co-op multiplayer.

Mario Party is still playable without an amiibo. it is not dependent on the amiibo for the entirety of the game. Amiibo Festivel which, as the title indicates, is made for the sole purpose of amiibo and comes with at least one amiibo.  That one isn't a game where you get lesser experience for not havving amiibo, you get absolutely none. You only need one of those to play the game.

No. YWW does not require an amiibo for two player...

I don't know how this is what you saw. The content in the Splatoon amiibo must be less than a 16th of the content in the single player much less more content. It also doesn't have co-op.

I love amiibos. I have 25 so far. I dont see them as DLC, but collectibles.

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

@op Coming from someone who collects them, i don't find the retail price too high. So from my standpoint it's (potentially) free dlc i get with my character. I will say i don't agree with the day one stuff (same stance on dlc except pre-order bonuses). HOWEVER, when you consider you get dlc unlocks across multiple games, in many instances, and any additional amiibo abilities for the same game for free as well. When that happens it's a damn good deal. Buy the link amiibo and you get a weapon in hyrule warriors, a costume in mariokart, a trainable variant in smash, and i don't even know what in twilight princess. That's like 5 pieces of dlc. That last one in particular is cool and not cool. Not cool because of day 1 dlc. Cool cuz if you already bought it, then it was basically free. So yeah, ups and downs.
I will say however, this is NOT exclusively a nintendo practice. Skylanders has been around for like 4 or 5 years. That game locks playable characters. If you buy the game digitally you can't actually play it cuz you don't own a character. PLAYABLE CHARACTERS. That sh*ts crazy. I see your a fan so that's why you're taking this so personally, but it's not night and day to already established bs.

hershel_layton said:
Ruler said:

Positives = its physical, you can resell it and get a figure
Negatives = its still DLC and Microtransactions in some cases

Except people keep forgetting that amiibo DLC is usually just a neat add-on. It has almost no impact on the actual game. Amiibos don't lock maps, characters, and so on. All they have are costumes, extra stage(for Twilight Princess), abilities, and so forth. Whether you get amiibos or not does not decrease(or increase) the quality of the games.

Maps = Extra Stage ... lolwut