By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Amiibo is the worst thing to happen this generation

Tagged games:

What do you think about it?

Amiibo = shit 179 29.88%

Amiibo = meh 152 25.38%

Amiibo = love 167 27.88%

BraLoD = hater 51 8.51%

BraLoD slept with Sanic 50 8.35%

Total:599
BraLoD said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
It's DLC only instead of JUST some invisible, digital file that sits on your HDD, you're also getting a collectable figure to go along with it. So really, if you have an issue with Amiibo, you're having an issue with DLC and DLC was made popular by companies other than Nintendo.

So if I want an ability I always had in other games I have to deal with buying a overpriced toy?
Fucking no, that's even worse than conventional DLC that would cost around $0.50 to unlock it (which would already be bad).

And "DLC was made popular by companies other than Nintendo" what that has to do with the fact that Nintendo is scaming people now? Nintendo is the only one to blame for it, don't spin things away, this is a Nintendo practice.

I love how you think another company would charge $0.50 for something like that.

Around the Network

People are still ranting about this Topic and creating Threads? Wasting even Lifetime to follow this Thread like OP?

In the upcoming weeks, another Thread of "Amiibos are comig straight from Hell" will be created here.

Anyway. No one will get harmed by Amiibos. If you don't buy them, you won't miss something Über-Important. If you collect them, because you like to collect your favourite Characters, than you get in many parts a little Gimmick. Some times, you get an absolute useless Gimmick like in Smash Bros.

Yes, and even the "Cave of Shadows" in Twilight Princess HD is nothing more than a little exta feature. If you miss it because you don't like Amiibos, you won't miss something very important. If you own the Wolf Link Amiibo, you get a nice Extra in a Game you most likely know since 2006.

Life can be so simple. I never saw Amiibos as expensive locked on Disc DLC. I like to collect a few of my favourite Characters and in exchange I get a little Bonus. I will never buy an Amiibo because of its's conent, because the content isn't worth it.

Like curl said, Nintendo got the chance to abuse the concept but they didn't. No one is forced to buy an Amiibo. OP can rant as long as he wants, Amiibos will exist tomorrow, the day after tomorrow and maybe Amiibos are the key to Nintendos future. Deal with it. I don't like this phrase, but, yes, deal with it.

Be aware: English is not my native language. The Internetz is the only place I'm partly speaking this smooth language. And because my Signature is so boring, feel free to insert a lame Boob-Joke here: [Insert lame Boob-Joke here]

Warning: Nintendo and Übel Blatt Fangirl alert

bigtakilla said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

It's worse because you need it for so many Nintendo games. If I dint want to play skylanders or Disney infinity then dont buy it. But Nintendo are tying amiibo content to almost every game. Locking content in  many games behind an expensive toy.

"but other publishers do this that and this" is not a defence, and I'm not sure why you're trying so hard to defend cause all you're doing is trying to make other companies sound worse rather than addressing the issue.

Because the content is usually costumes, ect. Only game I feel they went a bit overboard is LoZ Twilight Princess.And even then, as the cave of Twilight isn't a new chapter to the story, it still even isn't all that bad. Nothing is really taken away from these games.

Something is clearly taken away as mentioned in the OP and it seems to be getting worse.

I'm a PS guy myself, but I feel if Microsoft started doing this with Xbox we wouldn't have the same defence on this site as we do for this, you may disagree with that but I can't see it going down any other way.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

So, i could't care less about amiibo so far. Nintendo has been pretty soft with it.
I just can't see anyone feeling compeled to buy the toy because of the bonus they locked so far. At best it is a plus if you already want the toy. Even Smash amiibo function, arguably one of the most complex, is just a glorified bot.

The single case where nintendo got close to the line between reasonable and bs, but still pretty far, was splatoon amiibos locking out levels with different weapons. The outfits being locked are completely ok, but i would love to replay levels with a different weapon.

You would have a easier time defending quite the opposite. That if you don't care about the toys, amiibos are not useful enough to warrant $12

Goodnightmoon said:
curl-6 said:

"Don't like it, don't buy it" doesn't solve the problem for people who are being denied access to stuff on the game disc they paid for unless they buy an additional plastic toy.

For example, as a big fan of the SNES Starfox, I would love to play the newly announced retro mode where the Arwing, its lasers/bombs, and the music/sound effects are ripped from the SNES original. That content will be on the disc that I will spend $80 on. But I'll be denied access to it unless I then go and buy a plastic toy. That's shit.

Except that content would not be in the game if wasnt for amiibo, dam Curl I expect more from you.

Now they need to think in some extra fanservice stuff for every game to justify the amiibo, just as they release games to justify their console, so they include this little stuff on them. The retro arwing was an idea of the young staff when they were thinking what could they implement for the amiibo, and they come up with that, even if Miyamoto didnt like it so much. So this exists because of amiibo, but someway you would preffer if this didnt existed as long as amiibo has nothing to do with it, wich honestly sounds kind of dumb.. are you going to get up on this hate bandwagon with absolutely zero rational thinking as everyone else?

I'm going to be asked to spend $80 on a game that will lock me out of some of the content on the disc unless I buy an additional plastic figurine. That's anti-consumer behaviour on their part, and I will call out any company that does it, even Nintendo. 

Others keep saying "well you get a plastic figurine out of it", but if that's the case, they should be happy with just the figurine, rather than demanding in-game bonuses that the rest of us are locked out of despite having purchased the game at full price.

There is no excuse, ever, for a full price game not to offer buyers the entirety of the content on the disc they paid for. For years, we railed against companies like Capcom, Ubisoft, or Konami pulling this kind of shit. I am not going to turn a blind eye now just because a company I grew up loving has jumped on the bandwagon.

Around the Network

No, Amiibo isn't the worst... It's a not forced option, i don't see how it affect gaming as a hole.
Nintendo is or was a toy-company, so i feels it's a natural choice for them to mix them both.
It's a toy and it adds something to the game, people probably would buy them regardless since most people like collecting stuff.

Dlc's, corporated greed (Fast pace development=Bugs and glitches) and paid online, a lot more but this is the first i could think of as of right now.

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

BraLoD said:
Baryonyx said:
No, Amiibo isn't the worst... It's a not forced option, i don't see how it affect gaming as a hole.
Nintendo is or was a toy-company, so i feels it's a natural choice for them to mix them both.
It's a toy and it adds something to the game, people probably would buy them regardless since most people like collecting stuff.

Dlc's, corporated greed (Fast pace development=Bugs and glitches) and paid online, a lot more but this is the first i could think of as of right now.

That's day one DLC on physical form (which may even be in disc), that is taking things from a game if you don't buy it.
It is affecting gaming, people are being ripped off of content if they do not buy it.

It involves two of the things you listed as worse than that (DLC and greed), and also has issues above those (physically tied to another object that inflates the price of the game content, contect which is not even new as it was already an in-game ability before so it was once part of a game for no extra cost).

Worst thing to happen this generation, IMO.

Amiibos seem to have one figure for each game, whatever you can get from Amiibo isn't essential for the overall experience ( My dumb ex bought one ) and it was completely useless and whatever Dlc's that was unlocked was just as useless. 
The games are actually at a default, where Amiibos are adding stuff that isn't necessary but is an option of people want it. 

I don't agree with it, but there are so many other things which are worse and might actually be *Thy product* which will be the boarderland over to something even worse. 

*Episodic games*
*Broken games* ( not everyone have internet, they are stuck with a glitchy buggy game forever until they get internet)
*Skin-Dlc's*
*Pay-2-Win*
*Paywalls*
*Bad ports*
*3/DS revisions* 
*Unbundled product's* (A charger for 3DS?)

And the list goes on and on.. If you think Dlc's which adds nothing but useless add-ons which you don't really need, unless if you want it.
(Skin-packs are just beyond the level of scheming.. Paying for a texture that took them 20 min to make?....)

I hate Amiibo's, i just personally think there are other matter's which are worse and should be a bigger priority. 

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

They're just toys for little kids aren't they? Not a big deal.

curl-6 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Except that content would not be in the game if wasnt for amiibo, dam Curl I expect more from you.

Now they need to think in some extra fanservice stuff for every game to justify the amiibo, just as they release games to justify their console, so they include this little stuff on them. The retro arwing was an idea of the young staff when they were thinking what could they implement for the amiibo, and they come up with that, even if Miyamoto didnt like it so much. So this exists because of amiibo, but someway you would preffer if this didnt existed as long as amiibo has nothing to do with it, wich honestly sounds kind of dumb.. are you going to get up on this hate bandwagon with absolutely zero rational thinking as everyone else?

I'm going to be asked to spend $80 on a game that will lock me out of some of the content on the disc unless I buy an additional plastic figurine. That's anti-consumer behaviour on their part, and I will call out any company that does it, even Nintendo. 

Others keep saying "well you get a plastic figurine out of it", but if that's the case, they should be happy with just the figurine, rather than demanding in-game bonuses that the rest of us are locked out of despite having purchased the game at full price.

There is no excuse, ever, for a full price game not to offer buyers the entirety of the content on the disc they paid for. For years, we railed against companies like Capcom, Ubisoft, or Konami pulling this kind of shit. I am not going to turn a blind eye now just because a company I grew up loving has jumped on the bandwagon.

Good spech and all Curl but it doesnt matter, you are losing the point:

If wast because amiibo you wouldnt have that content to begging with, so... your complain is already pointless.

And if that content didnt exist, you would be happier, but if exists as an amiibo bonus, suddlenly the game is incomplete. Why? why cant we think a bit?

And dont fall on the usual price demagogy please, you say yo need 80$ to have the full game.... where the 99.9999% of the game is already included in the standalone game, the rest is just little fanservice, you cannot compare that to what those other companies you mention have done, taking big chunks of a game till the point where it feels lacking and releasing later that as pay dlc, you are complaining about a completely insignificant amount of content that would not be there anyways if they didnt need to think something to add.

I´m sorry, but find this really dumb, and I really dont know why is so hard to understand for so many people.

"Worst thing of the generation"

Unbelieveble

Goodnightmoon said:
curl-6 said:

Good spech and all Curl but it doesnt matter, you are losing the point:

If wast because amiibo you wouldnt have that content to begging with

If that content didnt exist, you would be happier, but if exists as an amiibo bonus, suddlenly the game is incomplete.

And dont fall on that demgagy please, you need 80$ to have the full game.... where the 99.9999% of the game is already included in the game alone, the rest is just little fanservice, you cannot compare that to what other companies do, taking big chunks of a game and releasing later as dlc, you are complaining about a completely insignificant amount of content that would not be there anyways if they didnt need to think something to add.

I´m sorry, but find this really dumb.

That "fanservice" is very significant to me as a Starfox fan, and it's on the disc I'll be buying, yet they lock me out of it unless I buy a separate plastic toy. I will never support on-disc DLC, I don't care if it's minor. For years I praised Nintendo for not giving in to these horrid practices while other companies did. I'm not going to give them a free pass now just because I love their games or just because some other companies are even worse.

As for "it wouldn't exist if not for Amiibo", we can't know that, a lot of it may very well have. And either way, it is still content that is on the disc we paid for, but which we are denied access to.

I find Amiibo repugnant, personally. On disc DLC is one of the worst things to happen to gaming in the past decade in my opinion, and the fact that it's now spreading like cancer through pretty much every major Nintendo game is something I will never be okay with.