By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Amiibo is the worst thing to happen this generation

Tagged games:

What do you think about it?

Amiibo = shit 179 29.88%

Amiibo = meh 152 25.38%

Amiibo = love 167 27.88%

BraLoD = hater 51 8.51%

BraLoD slept with Sanic 50 8.35%

Total:599
curl-6 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Good spech and all Curl but it doesnt matter, you are losing the point:

If wast because amiibo you wouldnt have that content to begging with

If that content didnt exist, you would be happier, but if exists as an amiibo bonus, suddlenly the game is incomplete.

And dont fall on that demgagy please, you need 80$ to have the full game.... where the 99.9999% of the game is already included in the game alone, the rest is just little fanservice, you cannot compare that to what other companies do, taking big chunks of a game and releasing later as dlc, you are complaining about a completely insignificant amount of content that would not be there anyways if they didnt need to think something to add.

I´m sorry, but find this really dumb.

That "fanservice" is very significant to me as a Starfox fan, and it's on the disc I'll be buying, yet they lock me out of it unless I buy a separate plastic toy. I will never support on-disc DLC, I don't care if it's minor. For years I praised Nintendo for not giving in to these horrid practices while other companies did. I'm not going to give them a free pass now just because I love their games or just because some other companies are even worse.

As for "it wouldn't exist if not for Amiibo", we can't know that, a lot of it may very well have. And either way, it is still content that is on the disc we paid for, but which we are denied access to.

I find Amiibo repugnant, personally. On disc DLC is one of the worst things to happen to gaming in the past decade in my opinion, and the fact that it's now spreading like cancer through pretty much every major Nintendo game is something I will never be okay with.

YES, we know it. Miyamoto himself said it, they were thinking about something cool to add to the amiibo and the young staff came with the idea of the retro arwing, and Miyamoto didnt liked it specially but he ended up giving them green light. And at first the bombs were going to be part of the retro arwing alone, but they though fans wouldnt like that so at the end this made the bombs get into the the main game. 

This would have not existed without amiibo, but then you would be happier, how ironic and dumb is that?
At least now you have a chance to have it, and if you happened to have a star fox amiibo, now the toy has more value and it gives you a nice little dumb thing.

Terrible, the worst thing ever.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
curl-6 said:

That "fanservice" is very significant to me as a Starfox fan, and it's on the disc I'll be buying, yet they lock me out of it unless I buy a separate plastic toy. I will never support on-disc DLC, I don't care if it's minor. For years I praised Nintendo for not giving in to these horrid practices while other companies did. I'm not going to give them a free pass now just because I love their games or just because some other companies are even worse.

As for "it wouldn't exist if not for Amiibo", we can't know that, a lot of it may very well have. And either way, it is still content that is on the disc we paid for, but which we are denied access to.

I find Amiibo repugnant, personally. On disc DLC is one of the worst things to happen to gaming in the past decade in my opinion, and the fact that it's now spreading like cancer through pretty much every major Nintendo game is something I will never be okay with.

YES, we know it. Miyamoto himself said it, they were thinking about something cool to add to the amiibo and the young staff came with the idea of the retro arwing, and Miyamoto didnt liked it specially but he end up giving them green light. and at first the bombs were going to be part of the retro arwing alone, but they though fans wouldnt like that so at the end this made the bombs get into the the main game.

This would have not existed without amiibo, but then you would be happier, how ironic and dumb is that?
At least now you have a chance to have it, and if you happened to have a star fox amiibo, now the toy has more value.

So we should be happy that we're given the privilege to pay extra to unlock stuff that is already on the disc we paid good money for?

Sorry mate, that's just not good enough in my book. 

Goodnightmoon said:

Good spech and all Curl but it doesnt matter, you are losing the point:

If wast because amiibo you wouldnt have that content to begging with

If that content didnt exist, you would be happier, but if exists as an amiibo bonus, suddlenly the game is incomplete. Why? why can we think a bit?

And dont fall on that demgagy please, you need 80$ to have the full game.... where the 99.9999% of the game is already included in the game alone, the rest is just little fanservice, you cannot compare that to what other companies do, taking big chunks of a game and releasing later as dlc, you are complaining about a completely insignificant amount of content that would not be there anyways if they didnt need to think something to add.

I´m sorry, but find this really dumb.

Are you serious ?! Amiibo's accounted for only 7% of Nintendo's revenue so we would've probably gotten the content had it being paid DLC, microtransaction, or included in the game free of charge ... 

Depending on one's definition of "incomplete" for some out there it means any content outside of the medium or for others it's gating content already on the medium ...

It doesn't matter how small you argue the content to be when how their valued varies from customer to customer along with the fact that you have to buy a stupid plastic doll to access it so Curl-6 is protesting on the grounds of it being ethically wrong consumer wise ... 

curl-6 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

YES, we know it. Miyamoto himself said it, they were thinking about something cool to add to the amiibo and the young staff came with the idea of the retro arwing, and Miyamoto didnt liked it specially but he end up giving them green light. and at first the bombs were going to be part of the retro arwing alone, but they though fans wouldnt like that so at the end this made the bombs get into the the main game.

At least now you have a chance to have it, and if you happened to have a star fox amiibo, now the toy has more value.

So we should be happy that we're given the privilege to pay extra to unlock stuff that is already on the disc we paid good money for?

It doesnt matter wether is on the disc or is not, dont be so dogmatic, it may be on the disc, but the reason it was created was the amiibo, the reason they put that little extra effort is because they have a product that costs money and they need to give it value, and there is no other way to do that, would you feel more confortable if that content was not technically on disc? is a psycologic thing or something? There is no other way to add that content, it has to be already there.

What you want is Nintendo doing the extra fanservice that they are doing exclusively because they want to add value to amiibo, and then once is done... suddlenly they give it for free.... then whats the whole point then? 

Goodnightmoon said:
curl-6 said:

It doesnt matter wether is on the disc or is not, dont be so dogmatic, it may be on the disc, but the reason it was created was the amiibo, the reason they put that little extra effort is because they have a product that costs money and they need to give it value, and there is no other way to do that, would you feel more confartable if that content was not technically on disc? is a psycologic thing or something? There is no other way to add that content, it has to be already there.

What you want is Nintendo doing the extra fanservice that they are doing exclusively because they want to add value to amiibo, and then once is done... suddlenly they give it for free.... then whats the whole point then? 

The point is that when I purchase something, trying to then sell a part of what I have already paid for to me for an additional cost is scumbag behaviour in my book.

How about this; what if the Amiibo still unlocks the retro Arwing, but those without the Amiibo can also unlock it by beating the game? That way those of us who don't want to buy toys could still gain access it, while the Amiibo guys could feel special by having it right off the bat.

Around the Network

While I do agree it's getting out of hand, Nintendo wasn't the one who started this sort of thing. It's just the first thing that became popular. There were cards that unlocked levels as far back as the NES.

curl-6 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

It doesnt matter wether is on the disc or is not, dont be so dogmatic, it may be on the disc, but the reason it was created was the amiibo, the reason they put that little extra effort is because they have a product that costs money and they need to give it value, and there is no other way to do that, would you feel more confartable if that content was not technically on disc? is a psycologic thing or something? There is no other way to add that content, it has to be already there.

The point is that when I purchase something, trying to then sell a part of what I have already paid for to me for an additional cost is scumbag behaviour in my book.

How about this; what if the Amiibo still unlocks the retro Arwing, but those without the Amiibo can also unlock it by beating the game? That way those of us who don't want to buy toys could still gain access it, while the Amiibo guys could feel special by having it right off the bat.

I guess is hard to find a balance, you have to be adding something little, but at the same time it has to be something exclusive, because you dont want the people that dont care about them to feel like they are missing something remotely relevant, but at the same time the toy needs to have its value so better be little but exclusive. This is what I guess is their train of though, because it makes sense, however I agree that Mario Maker is the best way to go about amiibo, even if that makes the toys a bit more useless and that goes a bit against the point, but it is more consumer friendly. Anyways, I think the retro arwing is among the lest offensive uses of amiibo, and they are usually not very offensive at all.

Fire Emblem Fates is the first game where not having an amiibo affected me in anyway, locking out iconic fire emblem characters behind rare/sold out amiibo is a pretty shitty thing to do.

If Nintendo wants to go down this road, all these amiibos need to be readily available, or sell the dlc on the eshop aswell.

Goodnightmoon said:
curl-6 said:

I guess is hard to find a balance, you have to be adding something little, but at the same time it has to be something exclusive, because you dont want the people that dont care about them to feel like they are missing something remotely relevant, but at the same time the toy needs to have its value so better be little but exclusive. This is what I guess is their train of though, because it makes sense, however I agree that Mario Maker is the best way to go about amiibo, even if that makes the toys a bit more useless and that goes a bit against the point, but it is more consumer friendly. Anyways, I think the retro arwing is among the lest offensive uses of amiibo, and they are usually not very offensive at all.

I guess that's the thing though, as fatslob points out, even "minor" content can mean a lot to some consumers. The retro Arwing stuff means a great deal to me, because Starfox SNES was literally my introduction to the medium of gaming, and I would've derived enormous enjoyment from the nostalgic value of that content.

You can unlock majority of the costumes in SMM without amiibo. So it is false the without amiibo that content would have not been in the game.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile