By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: Killzone 2 > Killzone: Shadowfall

They're both good, but I think KillZone 2 has the edge for being more solid gameplay-wise. It felt like a very polished game and was more enjoyable in my opinion. Shadow Fall has some lows... like chapters where it tries to be something different, mainly when you're not holding a gun and have to do weird/boring stuff.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network
Shadow8 said:

Lawlight said:

What the hell are you talking about? How was SF similar to CoD?

I'm gonna copy and paste what I discussed with another user here:

Well it felt like Cod to me. They tried to go with cinematic moments in the story and had cliche characters that acted cool, but we're really not. Also as you said they tried way too many different things that didn't work...sounds a lot like CoD Ghosts to me.

Of course this is just how it felt to me, didn't feel like the old ones at all.

Cinematic moments does not mean it plays like CoD. Otherwise Uncharted is similar to CoD. SF had a range of gameplay.

More importantly, how awesome was SF's multiplayer? It was so good. I played that for months. It was so hectic and unpredictable.

Killzone 2 blew my mind with its incredible visuals. It was enough for me to overlook the laggy controls and play the campaign to completion. Definitely a great game for its time though it doesn't hold up well now.

I still have Killzone SF sitting on my shelf. Its beautiful graphics weren't enough to keep me playing. There was just something really strange and restrictive about the level designs. Like if you step off a ledge that isn't too high off the ground you end up instantly dying because the game wasn't designed to let you walk there.

My favorite Killzone game is actually the Vita game. The overall feel was fast, fun, kind of arcadey. If they're going to keep making Killzone games they should really adopt that style.

Lawlight said:
Shadow8 said:

I'm gonna copy and paste what I discussed with another user here:

Well it felt like Cod to me. They tried to go with cinematic moments in the story and had cliche characters that acted cool, but we're really not. Also as you said they tried way too many different things that didn't work...sounds a lot like CoD Ghosts to me.

Of course this is just how it felt to me, didn't feel like the old ones at all.

Cinematic moments does not mean it plays like CoD. Otherwise Uncharted is similar to CoD. SF had a range of gameplay.

Yea but compared to the earlier Killzone games, those cinematic moments weren't like that at all. It seemed like they wanted to bring in the casual market by making it have cinematic set pieces that resembled CoD. At least that's how I saw it.

Around the Network

Well, that's not an uncommon opinion or anything. If they'd done a better job balancing the MP, they really could have had a classic on their hands with KZ2.

A shame that the franchise only went downhill from there.

Shadow8 said:
Lawlight said:

Yea but compared to the earlier Killzone games, those cinematic moments weren't like that at all. It seemed like they wanted to bring in the casual market by making it have cinematic set pieces that resembled CoD. At least that's how I saw it.

I think what you're trying to say is too many moments feel scripted in CoD. You essentially have to do exactly what the game wants. But Killzone 2 and 3 were also games heavy on cinematics, scripted events, linear levels, etc. Killzone games are no better than CoD when it comes to that stuff.

Actually, Killzone:SF feels surprisingly open in the first 4 levels or so. There are multiple paths and large levels that allow for different play styles. But the game just gets shitty after that.

People say CoD is casual but if it is I'm surprised it doesn't sell better to the Nintendo audience. CoD appeals to FPS fans, period.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

LudicrousSpeed said:
Well, that's not an uncommon opinion or anything. If they'd done a better job balancing the MP, they really could have had a classic on their hands with KZ2.

A shame that the franchise only went downhill from there.

Not true, Killzone 3 is good. Some like myself argue its the best.

Killzone: Mercenary is also a fun game. Its short so I think I'm going to replay it in the near future.

The only bad games in the series is probably the first and Shadow Fall.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I loved the weapon weight in 2. A lot of people complained about the controls feeling delayed but I just loved it.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Mr Puggsly said:
Shadow8 said:

I think what you're trying to say is too many moments feel scripted in CoD. You essentially have to do exactly what the game wants. But Killzone 2 and 3 were also games heavy on cinematics, scripted events, linear levels, etc. Killzone games are no better than CoD when it comes to that stuff.

Actually, Killzone:SF feels surprisingly open in the first 4 levels or so. There are multiple paths and large levels that allow for different play styles. But the game just gets shitty after that.

People say CoD is casual but if it is I'm surprised it doesn't sell better to the Nintendo audience. CoD appeals to FPS fans, period.

Yea that's what I meant by cinematic. 2 and 3 did have cinematic moments, but they felt more memorable to me since there was a considerable gap between them, giving it more impact.

CoD is aimed for the casual market, I know a lot of people that dont play a lot of games, but play CoD.I don't care one way or another though. If you're a fan of fps games, then CoD is definitely worth your time because it really is a well crafted series. I guess it's better to say that it's a game for both hardcore and casual.