By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: Killzone 2 > Killzone: Shadowfall

mjk45 said:
Shadow8 said:

I never said they were.

I was talking more about the appeal it has to people that don't play games often. (sorry I don't think I was being clear)

Casual basically means someone who does something irregularly after all.

The meaning of the word casual as applied to cod to me  seems to be, a game that has a large number of people who are cod players rather than gamers in general , many like my new neighbours son  who when he learned I was a gamer we talked a lot about playing cod bop's 3 and when talking about other games not so much.

Now this definition  of casual could be applied to lots of other games as well , but for what ever reason when it comes to cod especially later ones it is highlighted , my feeling is it is used on one hand  because like most generalisations it has some truth to it , but on the other hand it is also used in a  derogatory manner usually by people who wish cod a quick death even though they don't play it.

Yeah, I'm just thinking about it that way since from my experience I've seen a lot of kids and non-gamers playing CoD a lot. I don't mean any ill-wiil to the series though because I have grown very fond of it since mw. Would hate it if the series just died.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
mjk45 said:

The meaning of the word casual as applied to cod to me  seems to be, a game that has a large number of people who are cod players rather than gamers in general , many like my new neighbours son  who when he learned I was a gamer we talked a lot about playing cod bop's 3 and when talking about other games not so much.

Now this definition  of casual could be applied to lots of other games as well , but for what ever reason when it comes to cod especially later ones it is highlighted , my feeling is it is used on one hand  because like most generalisations it has some truth to it , but on the other hand it is also used in a  derogatory manner usually by people who wish cod a quick death even though they don't play it.

Your example anecdotal. Most CoD players I know play lots of games. Look at profiles online players and you will see they often play lots of games.

I was talking about reasons why cod is labeled casual not whether it is or isn't ,  by the way I think it isn't , what I should have added when I said the definition could be applied to other games as well was ,  that if your games sells a order of magnitude more than most there has to be a large part of your base that is buying it because they are cod , gta , Gran Turismo , MK etc Players and my neighbour fit's that profile.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Shadow8 said:
mjk45 said:

Yeah, I'm just thinking about it that way since from my experience I've seen a lot of kids and non-gamers playing CoD a lot. I don't mean any ill-wiil to the series though because I have grown very fond of it since mw. Would hate it if the series just died.

Yes I allways thought of you being the former not the later.

Killzone 2 was one of my favourite shooters from the last generation, so under appreciated and yeah its way better than Shadowfall but i do think Shadowfall is better than KZ3. I enjoyed KZ3's singleplayer but its multiplayer was pretty bad imo, they tried to bring in a new crowd by making it more accessible and that just ruined it for me. Shadowfall on the other hand was way more accessible as well but it was designed a lot better than KZ3 imo, still nowhere near as amazing as KZ2 though.

I would still rather replay SF's single player campaign than KZ2, yet I agree when it comes to multiplayer.
Only KZ2 and Resistance 2 coop have been able to draw me into fps multiplayer. Nothing after that, all the way back to CoD 2 before that. The dynamic objectives and large player count kept me interested.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
I would still rather replay SF's single player campaign than KZ2, yet I agree when it comes to multiplayer.
Only KZ2 and Resistance 2 coop have been able to draw me into fps multiplayer. Nothing after that, all the way back to CoD 2 before that. The dynamic objectives and large player count kept me interested.

I'd choose KZ2 just because of the awfully frustrating 7th level of SF.

SvennoJ said:

It's interesting how many people I have heard say they like KZ2 mp and Resistance 2 co-op and just about all of them preface it by saying they don't play a lot of mp . my thoughts about why these two games draw these people in, are both hold enough points of difference to interest mainly campaign only  players  , and they seem to be new player friendly compared to some others.

Was the title edited?

mjk45 said:
SvennoJ said:

It's interesting how many people I have heard say they like KZ2 mp and Resistance 2 co-op and just about all of them preface it by saying they don't play a lot of mp . my thoughts about why these two games draw these people in, are both hold enough points of difference to interest mainly campaign only  players  , and they seem to be new player friendly compared to some others.

I guess due to the randomization of objectives in both it held my interest long enough to get invested in levelling up my characters. And yeah, more new player friendly as well, not immediately dying after spawing thanks to the objectives in KZ2 was a bonus. That turned me off Resistence 2 competitive multiplayer and made me stick to coop. Spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, no fun.

The last time I was into competitive multiplayer was UT2004. Those days are gone.

SvennoJ said:
mjk45 said:

I guess due to the randomization of objectives in both it held my interest long enough to get invested in levelling up my characters. And yeah, more new player friendly as well, not immediately dying after spawing thanks to the objectives in KZ2 was a bonus. That turned me off Resistence 2 competitive multiplayer and made me stick to coop. Spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, no fun.

The last time I was into competitive multiplayer was UT2004. Those days are gone.

UT 2004 , those where the days'  ,I have a relative who  who played UT 2004 so much he stopped because he thought he had become obsessed with it .