By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Father includes gender neutral language into The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Tagged games:

There's definitely a spirit of rigidity emanating from the replies in this thread.

Can't say I'm surprised.

Around the Network

Don´t get me wrong, that´s a nice thing to do, but equality is something difficult to achieve.
What happens with black people, for example? Why can´t they play with a black link-black female link? Or asian people? What about a transgender Link? Or a Gay Link/Straight Link? Have we thought as well about older people? Why isn´t an older Link? I´m not being represented by a 15 year old Link, am I complaining about that? Hell no.

If we start doing this kind of things, every game in the world will end up having the same character, with different gender to choose from, different sexual orientation, races, ages... why can´t we have our games designed as the creators had in mind and enjoy them that way?

Also, there are a lot of games with a female protagonist. I don´t see people complaining about that. Why isn´t Lara Croft a man??!! Well, because the creators had a woman as a protagonist in mind, so that´s the thing.

And we should do the same thing with everything, because that´s what equality means, right?
Let´s make Spiderman a woman, but a ginger, brunette, blond and bold woman.
And let´s change Elsa from frozen and make her a boy. Why not?

I could go on, and on, but I´m sure you all get my point.

I don´t have any problem with that, but in the end it´s stupid, because it changes the creator´s idea which is not a nice thing to do.

My kids are 9 and 7, both boys, and have no problem playing games with girls - they just recently played Never Alone, one of them played as Nuna, now they're playing Chariot where, again, one is playing with girl.

Once they're old enough to play Tomb Raider Anniversary or Metroid Prime, should I learn to mod and make Lara into Lars and Samus into Samuel before I let them?

AlfredoTurkey said:
Guys wanted attention, and he got it lol

Essentially. Or he has a lot of time on his hands and thought this would be a cute pet project.

Rename Pac-Man to Pac-Person ? Is it a person though? Its just a goddamn circle with a triangle cut out? Wow this equality stuff is a head fuck

Around the Network
teigaga said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Guys wanted attention, and he got it lol

Essentially. Or he has a lot of time on his hands and thought this would be a cute pet project.

Now all he's gotta do is compile a few "abusive" messages he gets, put up a sob story on tumblr about them, start a patreon and watch the money flow in.

Some people just have to be angry at everything (refering to the replies in this thread).

I LOVE ICELAND!

Nettles said:
teigaga said:

Now all he's gotta do is compile a few "abusive" messages he gets, put up a sob story on tumblr about them, start a patreon and watch the money flow in.

Considering he's just happy to have achieved this little project, I think he couldn't care less. As long as his kid is happy, he's cool.

I don't exactly see the point and it seems like his kid doesn't exactly care or realize any of this anyway (the text makes it seem his child hasn't even played or wanted to play the game, "just in case"), but sure if he wants to do this go ahead. It's not like modding isn't a thing in a million other games either. In that sense I agree this is in no way newsworthy because it's just a mod, nothing more.

In the real world, by the way, Link's male.