By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Father includes gender neutral language into The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Tagged games:

This'll be one time I'll be happy to see Nintendo roll out a Cease and Desist from modifying their game code.

It's not mentioned in the portion here, but I hope he hasn't made his text modified version of a Nintendo classic game available for download anywhere.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

Why are people crying about this seriously?? Young children in general greatly prefer to play as their own gender in games, so this father changed a few words in the game so his daughter could believe she was playing as a girl which she would most likely prefer.

I sincerely hope Nintendo releases a Zelda game with a female link as a protoganist to see how much you guys would lose it then.

No idea why everyone is upset.

Barkley said:
Why are people crying about this seriously?? Young children in general greatly prefer to play as their own gender in games, so this father changed a few words in the game so his daughter could believe she was playing as a girl which she would most likely prefer.

I sincerely hope Nintendo releases a Zelda game with a female link as a protoganist to see how much you guys would lose it then.

I'm up to the idea of a female Link. It's just that the A Link to the Past Link is male, not female. That's it xDDD.

Volterra_90 said:
Barkley said:

I'm up to the idea of a female Link. It's just that the A Link to the Past Link is male, not female. That's it xDDD.

But isnt Link is meant to be a representation of the player, thus he has no voice and in ocarina at least he can be named whatever you wish. You can call him Joe and "Link" is then not a part of the game. If you can change his name to something other than link why not change some pronouns? As said in the OP in link to the past the player sprite is gender ambiguous. I guess a lot of people really love the game from their childhood and any modification even one as slight as this and done for the enjoyment of a little girl is HERESY.

Barkley said:
Volterra_90 said:

But isnt Link is meant to be a representation of the player, thus he has no voice and in ocarina at least he can be named whatever you wish. You can call him Joe and "Link" is then not a part of the game. If you can change his name to something other than link why not change some pronouns? As said in the OP in link to the past the player sprite is gender ambiguous. I guess a lot of people really love the game from their childhood and any modification even one as slight as this and done for the enjoyment of a little girl is HERESY.

Nah, I don't think it's heresy or something like that and it's not such a big deal. I just find it a bit absurd, because she could enjoy the game either way with the original version. More of a waste of time if you ask me. But I think it wouldn't be a bad idea for Nintendo to make a gender ambiguous Link in the future. 

Around the Network
Volterra_90 said:
Barkley said:

Nah, I don't think it's heresy or something like that and it's not such a big deal. I just find it a bit absurd, because she could enjoy the game either way with the original version. More of a waste of time if you ask me. But I think it wouldn't be a bad idea for Nintendo to make a gender ambiguous Link in the future. 

You know what some kids are like if a little boy is given a game where he has to play as a girl there's a good chance he won't play it, and assume the opposite can be said.

Why is this news worthy?

Barkley said:

You know what some kids are like if a little boy is given a game where he has to play as a girl there's a good chance he won't play it, and assume the opposite can be said.

I'm not an expert in little boys actually. I didn't have any problems back then and didn't gave a damn about the protagonist gender (and I still don't give a damn about it). The father worded it as if it's not because of the girl having problems on playing it as a boy, and he just did it because of yes. But if it was the case of the girl don't want to play it because Link is a male (which I very much doubt it, but who knows) it wouldn't harm anyone actually. I just doubt it a lot. 

In the words of the great Anita Sarkeesian "Everything is sexist, everything is racist, everything is homophobic and you have to point it ALL out".

The modern lefts mantra.

Chevinator123 said:
Why is this news worthy?

Kotaku and other sites make it newsworthy