By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Father includes gender neutral language into The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Tagged games:

gooch_destroyer said:
Chevinator123 said:
Why is this news worthy?

It's Kotoku.

That's all the input you can give, Gooch? I expected better!

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

The vast, vast... vast majority of people don't want this and/or don't care. In journalism courses, they teach each student to sensationalize stories to maximize views and hits. This is a good example of that. In the real world, almost every person walking around doesn't care or even think about this stuff but stick it into their brains and you've got a hot button topic which will incite and provoke people of all walks of life into a reaction. When you do that... cha-ching... ad revenue.

Yeah, I understand that much. But I hate it when people go ape sh*t when you don't agree with them. Most of my recent comments have a postitive and negative side to protect me from being warned or banned.

I totally agree and I have no answer as to why people are like that online. My guess is some sort of insecurity issues. They go about their normal lives in the "real world", taking crap from everyone, too cowardly to say anything to anyones face and then go online at the end of the day to exact their revenge of sorts. Online, they can hide and "be the bully" instead of being bullied in the real world. It's a chance for them to make themselves feel big in a world where they feel small in.

Those of us who are more secure can't relate and it gets frustrating to deal with. My advice would be to just let it roll off your back as much as possible. Understand that these people are troubled and/or suffering from some kind of issue in the real world and just move on to something else. There's rational thought online, believe me. It's just harder to find lol.

Personally this change feels rather pointless, but I don't really see any problem with it either. If that's the way he or his daughter prefers to play the game, then good for them. It's not like the original is going away or anything.

SuperNova said:
Whats with all the rage? The guy did a nice little thing for his daughter. He didn't even *gasp* make Link female. If anything he very closely adhered to the philosophy the character is build on.

I mean, he is called LINK because he is supposed to link the player to the experience. They are supposed to be able to project themselves on him. Referring to him in gender neutral language is just that basic concept brought to completion. Literally everyone can now project themselves on their Link to the game.

I see this Link argument bought up whenever there is talk of giving him more of a character or even giving him a voice. The argument is always 'I'm against it because he is supposed to be a blank slate fo me to project on, that's his concept', but when someone dares to bring this concept to it's logical conclusion there's suddenly puzzlement, over why anyone would do this.

You can talk about all this with as much philosophical depth as a scholarly paper written about Socrates but at the end of the day, Nintendo made Link a boy. Nintendo wants him to be a boy. It's in the manual. Link is a "he"... and that's that. There's no arguing against it. There's no room for debate. 

The reason people are against this stuff is because some of us (myself included), are tired of their inability to cope with things they don't like. Link is a boy, and they should deal with it. If someone doesn't like it, play a game with a female lead. This concept of an "everybody wins" world is fairy tale by it's very nature. Some things in life can't be changed. Some things MUST be dealt with whether a person likes it or not. People who can't cope with this need some self reflection and self growth. They need to accept that they do not have any control over this world and move on. Running around pissed off at everything around you because it doesn't fit into your personal view of the world isn't going to change shit. This guy hacking Zelda doesn't change shit. Link is a boy in ALTTP, and changing the dialogue doesn't change that. He should have taught his daughter that gender doesn't matter. He should have taught her to be inclusive. That a boy can play a game with a girl lead and visa versa. Instead, he sent the opposite message. He fed her an illusion. 

i hope someone makes a gender neutral version of uncharted 2 ....that would be awesome!

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Volterra_90 said:

I'm up to the idea of a female Link. It's just that the A Link to the Past Link is male, not female. That's it xDDD.

But isnt Link is meant to be a representation of the player, thus he has no voice and in ocarina at least he can be named whatever you wish. You can call him Joe and "Link" is then not a part of the game. If you can change his name to something other than link why not change some pronouns? As said in the OP in link to the past the player sprite is gender ambiguous. I guess a lot of people really love the game from their childhood and any modification even one as slight as this and done for the enjoyment of a little girl is HERESY.

But Link is Link.

Eliminating or altering the identity of an established person is not how you push an equality agenda.

I never had any problems as a boy playing as Samus Aran or Celes or Terra or Shiek any number of female characters.  I've played as white characters, black characters, boy characters, girl characters, and never gave it a second thought.

Just like replacing one demographic entirely with another is no more "diversity" than you originally had, erasing another individual's identity and making them something they aren't isn't a good way to teach equality and diversity and acceptance.

In fact I'd suggest hes doing more harm than good.  He is turning his daughter into a xenophobe and setting the expectation that everyone is the same as her.  It would be better to leave alone these other worlds and characters and works who are already defined and allow your child to experience alternate subjectivities by playing as characters that are NOT the same as you.

All hes doing is teaching her that it's ok to change other people to fit your own expectations.

AlfredoTurkey said:
SuperNova said:
Whats with all the rage? The guy did a nice little thing for his daughter. He didn't even *gasp* make Link female. If anything he very closely adhered to the philosophy the character is build on.

I mean, he is called LINK because he is supposed to link the player to the experience. They are supposed to be able to project themselves on him. Referring to him in gender neutral language is just that basic concept brought to completion. Literally everyone can now project themselves on their Link to the game.

I see this Link argument bought up whenever there is talk of giving him more of a character or even giving him a voice. The argument is always 'I'm against it because he is supposed to be a blank slate fo me to project on, that's his concept', but when someone dares to bring this concept to it's logical conclusion there's suddenly puzzlement, over why anyone would do this.

You can talk about all this with as much philosophical depth as a scholarly paper written about Socrates but at the end of the day, Nintendo made Link a boy. Nintendo wants him to be a boy. It's in the manual. Link is a "he"... and that's that. There's no arguing against it. There's no room for debate. 

The reason people are against this stuff is because some of us (myself included), are tired of their inability to cope with things they don't like. Link is a boy, and they should deal with it. If someone doesn't like it, play a game with a female lead. This concept of an "everybody wins" world is fairy tale by it's very nature. Some things in life can't be changed. Some things MUST be dealt with whether a person likes it or not. People who can't cope with this need some self reflection and self growth. They need to accept that they do not have any control over this world and move on. Running around pissed off at everything around you because it doesn't fit into your personal view of the world isn't going to change shit. This guy hacking Zelda doesn't change shit. Link is a boy in ALTTP, and changing the dialogue doesn't change that. He should have taught his daughter that gender doesn't matter. He should have taught her to be inclusive. That a boy can play a game with a girl lead and visa versa. Instead, he sent the opposite message. He fed her an illusion. 

Funny you talk about people's inability to cope with things they don't like.

Quite ironic, to say the least.

acer67 said:
i hope someone makes a gender neutral version of uncharted 2 ....that would be awesome!

You can play using different skins on Uncharted 2. You might be onto something here: all kind of gender neutral skins should be released by default, so the player can switch to them instead of having to play with Nathan. A voice change would be desirable as well.

I mean if he has the ability to hack a game he can do whatever he wants, I can understand why he hack the game that way, but I wouldn't do it if I could.

Hynad said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Funny you talk about people's inability to cope with things they don't like.

Quite ironic, to say the least.

Do you know the motivation for that snarky response? It's because after reading my post, you probably took away that I was a man who stood on his own ground, free from the pressures of modern PC police nazism, and you subconsiously wish you were as well... but since you're not, you have to cut me down to feel better about yourself. 

The fact of the matter is this. I can except things and I wish everyone else could as well. It's a better place to be in life.