By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Father includes gender neutral language into The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Tagged games:

Platina said:
If I was going to mod a game, I would be adding a lot more fancier features than just something like that :p

For example?!

Around the Network
Wright said:
Platina said:
If I was going to mod a game, I would be adding a lot more fancier features than just something like that :p

For example?!

Well, I can't mod, but if I could maybe something like new powerups and items?

..or even change Link into different colours or something. I feel that changing just the text is hardly worth the effort :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Platina said:

I feel that changing just the text is hardly worth the effort :p

Damn, Platina disregarding all those poor fans who use several months/years of their lives to fan-translate games for a western audience.

Wright said:
Platina said:

I feel that changing just the text is hardly worth the effort :p

Damn, Platina disregarding all those poor fans who use several months/years of their lives to fan-translate games for a western audience.

Well. Translation patches are a different story :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Hynad said:

There's definitely a spirit of rigidity emanating from the replies in this thread.

Can't say I'm surprised.

Me, neither. Disappointed, certainly, but not surprised.

ALttP is a great game and if a dad was able to modify the gender of the protagonist and that made it a more enjoyable experience for his kid, then that's awesome.

Around the Network
Jon-Erich said:
the_dark_lewd said:
Maybe you can just teach your kids not to be too obsessive about their sex/race/(other innate traits) and to value themselves based on their character and accomplishments?
Maybe his daughter would never have actually cared about playing as a boy, except for the fact that she has an obsessive father who points it out to her.

THIS.

I'd hate to sound like that older guy and I'm sounding more like that guy everyday but I can't help it. What I'm about to say is from a male perspective but the point still stands.

When gamers my age were kids, we weren't bothered by gender. Yes, videogames back then were marketed mostly to young boys but there were still games with female protagonists in games. We didn't care that Princess Toadstool in Super Mario Bros. 2 was female. We liked playing as her because of he gliding ability. We didn't care that Samus was a woman. That didn't stop kids from replaying Metroid when they found out. We didn't care as long as it wasn't sometihng terrible like those licensed Barbie games. Even as teenagers, playing as Claire Redfield in Resident Evil 2 didn't bother us.

Now about the Zelda series. It is true that there is supposed to be a connection between the player and the character Link, hense his name. You get to name him and what he does is what you do. It is also why Nintendo never gave him much of a personality outside of a few traits (being couragous, being lazy at the beginning of games) because his personality was supposed to be the player's personaility. HOWEVER, it is established in the Zelda canon that Link is male. That has always been there, long before any official timeline existed.

People today are overly concerned about gender identity and they're passing this behavior on to kids and it is not a healthy thing. Kids need to understand that not everything can be the way they want it to be. Some games have you playing as males and some as females. However, some parents want to try and create a world where anything can be exactly as the kid desires. This is the world that the kids grows up in and then they expect society to cater specifically to their needs. It is so self-centered and so selfish. It is also out of line with reality. People in general need to grow up and stop taking everything so seriously.

Agreed 100%

Masculinity so fragile...

Have a nice day...

Get up out of this man's life!
*shakes screen*
What is wrong with you guys? You are making me sad.
*In poorly acted voice over*: Anakin, your breaking my heeearrt.

Whats with all the rage? The guy did a nice little thing for his daughter. He didn't even *gasp* make Link female. If anything he very closely adhered to the philosophy the character is build on.

I mean, he is called LINK because he is supposed to link the player to the experience. They are supposed to be able to project themselves on him. Referring to him in gender neutral language is just that basic concept brought to completion. Literally everyone can now project themselves on their Link to the game.

I see this Link argument bought up whenever there is talk of giving him more of a character or even giving him a voice. The argument is always 'I'm against it because he is supposed to be a blank slate fo me to project on, that's his concept', but when someone dares to bring this concept to it's logical conclusion there's suddenly puzzlement, over why anyone would do this.

Chevinator123 said:
Why is this news worthy?

It's Kotoku.