Forums - Gaming Discussion - Father includes gender neutral language into The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Tagged games:

The game is supposed to be about LINK, not the player that's playing him. Also, tumblrfags are totally gonna eat this shit up. Gg.

Moderated by - PwerlvlAmy

Around the Network

It's an interesting move for sure, but it should be taken as no more than a personal choice. Nobody should really be offended since it doesn't affect you personally.
If you want my opinion, I'm with Pokoko and Ka-Pi in that the decision to make Link male in the game was the decision of the creator, and thus there is nothing wrong with experiencing the work of fiction for what it is. Besides, a lot of "male" protagonists and characters in Japanese media are androgynous and may be biologically male but dress or look on the more feminine side (yo Tidus, women cosplay you the best just sayin'). Thus, someone whom is transsexual may see heroes like that dressing or appearing feminine and identify with them in that regard.
For any other reason there are RPGs. You can do whatever the hell you want with your character in RPGs.

#1 Amb-ass-ador

c03n3nj0 said:
S.Peelman said:
I don't exactly see the point and it seems like his kid doesn't exactly care or realize any of this anyway (the text makes it seem his child hasn't even played or wanted to play the game, "just in case"), but sure if he wants to do this go ahead. It's not like modding isn't a thing in a million other games either. In that sense I agree this is in no way newsworthy because it's just a mod, nothing more.

In the real world, by the way, Link's male.

Dude, seriously? 

In the real world Link is a fictional character, whose gender can be changed when the creators damn well please. 

OT: The reactions in this thread disappoint me. It's the guy's daughter, who probably likes girly things and maybe won't like to play as a male character. Kids prefer characters that are more like them. He's being a great dad, and it's not a waste of his time. 

What he is doing is illegally modifying a games code, Nintendo owns the rights to the Link to the Past program, music and scenario, if he is changing that so that his kid can enjoy it he is breaking the law, what happens when she wants to go watch a movie lol, is he going to dub over every line so all the characters in films are female so she can associate more with it? this is just daft and sadly it's just picked up the attention of people who have issues with ".... I was going to use the term for it but it's a BS term so I can't be arsed to repeat it, but who have issues with Male and Female people and characters being different.

Like the bottom line of this is he is altering code which there is a software license inside the cover of the SNES game which states he isn't meant to do that.

Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

Well I'd like to thank you Wright, you just helped me realize something. You see, I have to write a research paper for my Anthropology of Gender class, and I was considering writing it on why humans have menopause/andropause and other species do not, but I think there is something to say about gender and sexuality within Japanese media. Hopefully I can find enough peer reviewed research on it

#1 Amb-ass-ador

I think some people are taking this way too seriously. This personally doesn't appeal to me since I don't care about the gender of the character I'm playing as. But it's just the man's personal project to help his daughter identify with Link more, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:

What he is doing is illegally modifying a games code, Nintendo owns the rights to the Link to the Past program, music and scenario, if he is changing that so that his kid can enjoy it he is breaking the law, what happens when she wants to go watch a movie lol, is he going to dub over every line so all the characters in films are female so she can associate more with it? this is just daft and sadly it's just picked up the attention of people who have issues with ".... I was going to use the term for it but it's a BS term so I can't be arsed to repeat it, but who have issues with Male and Female people and characters being different.

Like the bottom line of this is he is altering code which there is a software license inside the cover of the SNES game which states he isn't meant to do that.

Not sure about anywhere else but I'm pretty sure this is perfectly legal in Europe.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Link is a male as of ALTTP and...SS. If Nintendo wanted link to be gender variant they would have asked you if you wanted to be a boy or girl, Pokemon Style. But I don't care, do what you want. I'm not a dictator or anything. If people want this then good, let them have it.

Eh. Why not, I guess.

My 3 year old daughter (look to the left) knows Link is a boy and she currently is crushing on him which is hilarious and scary at the same time. But she will say his name and giggle and she keeps taking my Smash Bros. booklet out with pictures of Link.

I really don't care about the father making edits to the text to let his daughter imagine she is the main character and can read it that way. Heck, if my daughter didn't know Link already, I wouldn't mind having his edited ROM, but that ship has sailed already.

I do think it is silly that people are getting upset on both sides of the camp. 1) Father is trying to make the game more personal for his daughter, big deal. 2) No, every game does NOT need to have every type of person represented. Stories in the game are a type of art and should be up to the creator what they deem the characters to be. If you don't like the author's script, move on, get over it. You can't force everyone to conform to your standards.

Ljink96 said:
Link is a male as of ALTTP and...SS. If Nintendo wanted link to be gender variant they would have asked you if you wanted to be a boy or girl, Pokemon Style. But I don't care, do what you want. I'm not a dictator or anything. If people want this then good, let them have it.

The vast, vast... vast majority of people don't want this and/or don't care. In journalism courses, they teach each student to sensationalize stories to maximize views and hits. This is a good example of that. In the real world, almost every person walking around doesn't care or even think about this stuff but stick it into their brains and you've got a hot button topic which will incite and provoke people of all walks of life into a reaction. When you do that... cha-ching... ad revenue.