By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Video Games Becoming Too Cinematic?

Most games I played do not, but games like Xenoblade does have a lot of cutscenes and it really slows the pace

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

Games like the movie the order 1886 are way too cinematic

fatslob-:O said:
Yerm said:

they try to focus on the story and visuals more actually making a good game

Oh so you can only tell by intention ... 

@Bold It sounds extremely stupid to discount a game based off a developers direction ... 

It's no wonder I can't find it in my heart to sympathize with "traditional" gamers one bit ... 

Traditional gamers like that tend to not be worth paying attention to anyway. If they're going to bitch about how bad games are nowadays they can go play on their "superior" Atari or NES

No, video games are becoming too long, too big.

Fire watch sounds like something I can actually finish without getting bored. Although I still have 99,999,987,000 star systems to visit in Elite Dangerous. I can't buy anymore games for the ps4 atm, hdd is full and I'm dreading starting the next 100 hour game that's sitting there waiting for me. Games are becoming too much of a commitment. I don't feel like playing Xenoblade either as it will suck up all my time. Average play time 168 hours, wtf!

I'll stick to something without a story, like racing or Elite Dangerous for now. Can stop any time without having to remember what I was doing, where I was going, who I have to talk too, etc. No going to the next save point, or better buy/sell that before I forget, or get to somewhere save. Quit instantly, done. That's why something simple like pac man is more fun!

CGI-Quality said:
Uncharted
The Last Of Us
Heavy Rain
The Walking Dead
Life Is Strange

The these all have two things in common - they're cinematic. I guess that kills, at least, part of your theory.

actually i didnt really like the last of us, because it was too cinematic. uncharted cinematicness is more of a indiana jones games. I havent played the other ones, but what im trying to say is that i love some cinematicness but not the whole game, even though it may be recieved good in the critics, its getting those good critics for the wrong reasons

Around the Network
Platina said:
Most games I played do not, but games like Xenoblade does have a lot of cutscenes and it really slows the pace

Really? im always happy when Xenoblade games have Cutscenes. Especially in Xenoblade Chronicles X where there are few cutscenes

HylianYoshi said:
I think that writing a good story with great visuals is more difficult than creating fun gameplay. So when a game focuses more on the more difficult aspect of the game (the story), there's more room for error. As well as that, more is taken away from the experience when the story fails, as it becomes a more important part if the product. In the end, it's easier to screw up a highly cinematic game than a game that focuses very little on the story.

The story is difficult? i would think otherwise, you just need some father and his daughter in a post-apocalyptic setting xD lol seriously though story isnt THAT hard, to actually make the game fun while having a good story, thats harder

I always thought games as a combination of all forms of media in which everything is equal.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Overall, I think game developers are making a mistake and limiting themselves by adopting the movie-style storytelling using cutscenes. I feel games have higher potential for storytelling than movies but it is never going to be realized as long as games mimic and look up to movies as a gold standard. I understand why developers do it or in this case are forced to do it. Change is happening but slow, so slow...

There might be some "spoilers" about Firewatch and I suggest to stop reading if someone is interested playing the game.

About Firewatch....it's the perfect example in this case. Firewatch is a game you need to go in completely blind and the less you know beforehand the better. OP made a fatal flaw and essentially watched a movie and thus cannot comprehend the idea of Firewatch at all and is not in position to criticize it as a game anymore. I don't blame him/her, his/her reaction is what you would expect.

Firewatch is not about the story at all, it's about what the player experiences and how human mind works. It's the players own mind that starts to play tricks from the limited information what is provided. From reading comments on the internet, when the game ends most players feel the real story was not what they expected and felt when they were playing. And that psychological experience is what Firewatch is about. You make things bigger in your mind, like you would if you were alone in the woods.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

Yeah, Splatoon was the most cinematic game I've ever played.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---