By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Video Games Becoming Too Cinematic?

CGI-Quality said:
97alexk said:

actually i didnt really like the last of us, because it was too cinematic. uncharted cinematicness is more of a indiana jones games. I havent played the other ones, but what im trying to say is that i love some cinematicness but not the whole game, even though it may be recieved good in the critics, its getting those good critics for the wrong reasons

It isn't for the wrong reason. It's reasons you dont like. That doesn't mean it applies to everything and everyone.

Thunderbird77 said:

More like too many companies making "cinematic experiences" and calling them games.

So, tell me then, how are the games that I brought up not video games? Can they be played/operated/interacted with? We've been through this and you continue to repeat the same rhetoric. This time, I want to actually hear a compelling argument - not simply: "because I say so".

I already told you that games are defined by gameplay and that gameplay is getting removed from many titles, making them less games.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
97alexk said:

actually i didnt really like the last of us, because it was too cinematic. uncharted cinematicness is more of a indiana jones games. I havent played the other ones, but what im trying to say is that i love some cinematicness but not the whole game, even though it may be recieved good in the critics, its getting those good critics for the wrong reasons

It isn't for the wrong reason. It's reasons you dont like. That doesn't mean it applies to everything and everyone.

No, ofc subjectivness is something important here, and some prefer cinematic over gameplay, but i don't. I want games to be games and movies to be movies, or else its a interactive movie. Thats how i experience it

What? No...what is this thread?

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

CGI-Quality said:
97alexk said:

No, ofc subjectivness is something important here, and some prefer cinematic over gameplay, but i don't. I want games to be games and movies to be movies, or else its a interactive movie. Thats how i experience it

But you're, again, speaking for yourself, which is fine. I'm saying what works for you doesn't work for everyone! It also doesn't make these experiences any less of video games!

Well i never spoke for anyone else either. I often said that '' i didn't like it' Majority or minority doesn't matter here because we don't know what the majority prefers or even if they care or think like this.

The problem with some cinematic games is that they often feel kinda ashamed of what they actually are, and it ends up looking like an amatour trying to rip off something that in their eyes is superior, instead of an artist paying homage to his/her inspirations. Kinda sad to be honest.

I'm now filled with determination.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
97alexk said:

Well i never spoke for anyone else either. I often said that '' i didn't like it' Majority or minority doesn't matter here because we don't know what the majority prefers or even if they care or think like this.

If majority/minority views don't matter, then your view, too, is irrelevant. As we know, it doesn't work that way. You'll never speak for everyone, like I said, but when one makes an absolute claim, like these: "aren't video games ", it can be challenged.

As i said, im not speaking like i speak for everyone, i speak for myself only, and some people may have the same point of view like me. once again FOR ME, video games shouldn't be tooo cinematic. i dont mind it, but it shouldnt be prioritised. That is my opinion. Your opinion is different, and i like seeing it

I'm really tired of cinematic experiences, not per se, just those experiences that are just cinematic. If you have a game with a great gameplay and a cinematic feel, it doesn't mind. Problem is some games prioritize the first and forgets about having deep and engaging gameplay. Games shouldn't became pure cinema, if they don't have something that differentiate them as a media, they'll be eaten alive.

CGI-Quality said:
Volterra_90 said:

I'm really tired of cinematic experiences, not per se, just those experiences that are just cinematic. If you have a game with a great gameplay and a cinematic feel, it doesn't mind. Problem is some games prioritize the first and forgets about having deep and engaging gameplay. Games shouldn't became pure cinema, if they don't have something that differentiate them as a media, they'll be eaten alive.

In other words, not very many games are "pure cinema" and have differentiated themselves nicely! :P

Basically xDDDD. Badly worded for my part, I think most of the games (with a pair of exceptions) have some meaningful interactions player-game which differentiates them nicely from cinema. So everything is right, for the moment. What keeps me worried is that some games, even if they retain the "gaming" experiences, are morphing into more cinematic experiences, but I hope it won't be just too much.

CGI-Quality said:
97alexk said:

As i said, im not speaking like i speak for everyone, i speak for myself only, and some people may have the same point of view like me. once again FOR ME, video games shouldn't be tooo cinematic. i dont mind it, but it shouldnt be prioritised. That is my opinion. Your opinion is different, and i like seeing it

Wouldn't it be easier to just AVOID the games that are too cinematic?

ehm i guess so, i do that aswell, but when a game gets very good reception, and is praised i want to check it out myself, im not completely against cinematic games, but mostly i dont buy them, yes.

I'll phrase it that too many games feel the need to try and be cinematic and shoe horn in a drawn out narrative.

What you described in the OP doesn't sound like a problem to me. A small game being carried by tone and aesthetics is cool. I'm concerned with action games wasting time/money on jarring narratives which no one cares about.