By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mobile devices will be more powerful than PlayStation 4, Xbox One in 2017, ARM forecasts

Well yeah, by that time, there will most likely be some crazy portable device in some lab that is theoretically stronger than PS4 and Xbox One. But we won't see any end consumer device with that power anytime soon. You can't compare the components directly anyway. On top of that, even if mobile devices get more powerful, they still won't run the games from PS4 and Xbox One, so it's no use anyway. Plus the battery would die after minutes when the device is running at max speed. Instead of beefing up specs, they really should come up with new batteries. My iPhone 5s is doing just fine in terms of power, but charging that sucker every 1-2 days really gets on my nerve. So, dear tech giants, if you wanna impress me, show me a top notch smartphone that lasts a week under heavy use. Thanks.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network

In two years, they have come up with a chip that is 3.5 times more powerful, and 75% more efficient. Meaning at 3.5 times more power it consumes less energy than before. This is progress in two years. It's easy to forget that the rest of the technology industry keeps moving forwards while the consoles don't. And I do realize that there are physical limits to prevent the further advancement at the same pace, but just to reach current gen power this shouldn't be an issue yet.

Source(click on the performance tab): https://www.arm.com/products/processors/cortex-a/cortex-a72-processor.php

Turkish said:
GamechaserBE said:

Well that is mostly because it had to work on older systems like Iphone 5 released in 2012?

So why does it still look and run crap on newer hardware?

I don't felt it run like crap but looked like crap. I am playing now riptide GP2 a mobile game on my PS4 looks like crap aswell but runs just like the mobile version why =p?

GamechaserBE said:
BraLoD said:

What am I even losing? Seriously, Rol...

Well you were acting like people who said smartphones will be more powerfull than PS3/X360 were wrong but they were right and when someone points that out you try to spin it in a different way =p.

Again where are these flipping phones that have 250 gigaflops of computational power. Please I am begging you guys.

Protip: they don't exist.

You guys just need to admit being incorrect. There are no smartphones out on the market that even come close to touching the PS3, maybe in 3-4 years.

Profrektius said:
sergiodaly said:
There is no way a 9w soc can outperform a ~140w soc just in 4 years...

Factor in that Xbox One and Ps4 did not use the best hardware available at the time of release, and that the top smartphones cost at least twice as much as the consoles.

Doesn't matter that the hardware was the best or mid-range or whatever. ARM and mobile makers love to spout this nonsense when the energy is not there in the mobile battery to pull those kind of processing power. My phone cost the same as 2 ps4 but i bet it cost sony (Xperia phone) less than what one ps4 cost. And the soc is usually like a 1/5 of total cost for a phone so your argument is not correct. 

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Around the Network

It'll be more powerful (for 10 seconds), before throttling rears its ugly head.....

small44 said:
No smartphone dev will spend millions of dollrs on one games so smartphone games will never reach consoles graphics

Have you seen Assassin's Creed Identity. 

And some people think the NX won't be...

I LOVE ICELAND!

elektranine said:

What phones have released that have greater than 250 gigaflops average of performance?

Oh please do tell I'm interested

Adreno 430, the GPU used in mobile devices such as Sony's Xperia Z5, packs 324-420 Gigaflops. (Depending on clock speed)

Mobile chips are getting very powerful, but where are the mobile games that demand that power?

Infinity Blade 1 - 3 and a few other impressive mobile games really pushed the envelope on the iPad 1 + 2 / iPhone 4 + 4S, but why should I replace my iPad Air 1 with a much faster iPad Air 3, if the Air 1 can still run any iOS game? BioShock has been pulled from the AppStore, the prettiest remaining iOS game I can think of (Modern Combat 5, even if it's almost 2 years old) runs fine and there are no hardware stressing iOS games on the horizon.

Without Tegra-exclusive ports (I'd love to try Half-Life 2, Doom BFG or The Talos Principle on my Z5 compact) Modern Combat 5 seems also to be the most demanding Android game for MOBILE devices with no new hardware stressing games for the PlayStore announced.

Tegra X1 exclusive games can't be counted as mobile versions as long as the only way to play them is on the Shield TV (power consumption while gaming 19.4 Watt according to Anandtech + power for the display). So there are no mobile games yet (and none in the near future) that can keep up graphically with 360 and PS3 games like The Last of Us, God of War 3, Gears of War 3, Halo 4, GTA V, MGS 5, Rise of the Tomb Raider or similar games. Mobile games/ports "in your pocket" at PS4/XBO fidelity are even farther away.