By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mobile devices will be more powerful than PlayStation 4, Xbox One in 2017, ARM forecasts

sergiodaly said:
Profrektius said:

Factor in that Xbox One and Ps4 did not use the best hardware available at the time of release, and that the top smartphones cost at least twice as much as the consoles.

Doesn't matter that the hardware was the best or mid-range or whatever. ARM and mobile makers love to spout this nonsense when the energy is not there in the mobile battery to pull those kind of processing power. My phone cost the same as 2 ps4 but i bet it cost sony (Xperia phone) less than what one ps4 cost. And the soc is usually like a 1/5 of total cost for a phone so your argument is not correct. 

The Mobile chips have become 75% more efficient in the last two years. To a significant degree due to going down to 16nm, but it's still notable. They will hit a wall eventually (or slow down) but for now, there seems to be steady progress in mobile power.

Around the Network

Even taking into account a RISC architecture much nimbler than x86, it'd need a giant leap in power efficiency meant as performance per watt. Also, GPU is the real power hog, CPU isn't anymore, and mobile GPUs didn't find some secret graphics holy grail PCs and consoles cannot have, they can only count on the usual efficiency tweaks also portable PC and PC and console APU GPUs use, and the latter two still can't reach desktop GPUs performances anyway if they have to keep consumption and heat under control, for laptops, and costs for consoles, so the ony exclusive tweak mobile GPU can count on is having to generate a much lower number of pixels and polygons to get on small screens the same fine grain a desktop GPU have to generate on a larger one (yes, there are also insanely hi-res small screens on hi-end smartphones, but don't expect anything but some videos to fully use them and even these rare cases will eat battery charge even if nowadays video decoding has become very sober in power requirements compared to games HD 3D acceleration).
Anyway, if they meant they'll exceed, on small screens, the PERCEIVED quality compared to what 8th gen home consoles can display on large screens, this is not unlikely, but they won't surely outperform them as brute computing power. Use those chips to generate images for a large screen and their grain and quality won't look so fine anymore.
This said, nice to see ARM avenging RISC architecture that Intel tried so many times and for so many years to kill.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

LMAO

Own:Nes,Snes,N64,Gamecube,Wii,WiiU,Gameboy Pocket,Gameboy Advance SP,DS,DSi,3DS XL,Sega Genesis,Sega Dreamcast,PS1,PS2,PS3,PSP,PSVita and Xbox 360.

Looking to get: Original Xbox 

A significant portion of my soul died with the first "SMT X FE" footage reveal.

Add me on PSN: afnanthekooltrex 

Check out my YouTube channel:  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzZ6P0251NWOf7WUTsHmw_Q

Yer rite

off topic what does this mean

(Warning: Division by zero in /data/r5/nfs/ioi/gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/my-topics.php on line 177)

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
elektranine said:

What phones have released that have greater than 250 gigaflops average of performance?

Oh please do tell I'm interested

Adreno 430, the GPU used in mobile devices such as Sony's Xperia Z5, packs 324-420 Gigaflops. (Depending on clock speed)

Lol nice try ...

When i mentioned gigaflops I meant single-precision calculations not the half-precision crap that mobile device manufacturers use in their skewed benchmarks.

Guess you don't know the difference between half, single, and double precision floating point operations. They are all exponentially harder to perform than each other. Half precision calculations are basically useless to anything related to graphics.

The areno 430 is known to throttle severely for any task that lasts longer than a few milliseconds. Actual real world benchmarks peg this GPU at 50-60 single-precision gigaflops.

Shame the devices would overheat within about 1minute of use.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

I have big doubts. The architecture of the CPU and GPU is not even close to what we have for the PC.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Frankly, I should hope so. The R/D process for the PS4/XB1 started years before their launches in 2013, and they weren't based upon the highest end tech at the time (CPU especially). I would expect hardware launched in 2017 would exceed them in power.

by then, we would have been 4 years into next gen. Mobile will never catch up to console