By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mobile devices will be more powerful than PlayStation 4, Xbox One in 2017, ARM forecasts

GamechaserBE said:
Turkish said:
We've heard this since 2014 and I've still not seen mobile games look better than even PS360 games. Hell they ported a 2007 game in Bioshock and it ran and looked like utter crap. We've seen all the GTA's on mobiles except GTA IV and onwards. The reason is they're not strong enough, if they were Rockstar would be quick to port them too. Even if the moment happens where mobiles are stronger, doesn't mean we'll suddenly see games looking better on them. See PC hardware and its exclusives, only a few from 1000s of indies can target the high end hardware.

Well that is mostly because it had to work on older systems like Iphone 5 released in 2012?

It looked like utter crap on the iPhone 6 as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcRunKeEtME

Here's a comparison of the iPad Air 2 and the iPhone 5s as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d2qNbHOSc4

However you cut, there is no phone currently that can make this game look better than a decade old console.

Around the Network

Lmao, f $!@&ING dreamING there buddy. At best they can hope for another 5 to 7 years to match xbone and ps4 in"theoretical performance", as in, it has to be a double rainbow during a Real Madrid vs Barcelona match at camp nou, where CR7 scores a hat trick and Messi only gets 3 touches all game. Then Madrid goes on to win 7-0. Lol, I swear....morons.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

sc94597 said:

Depends on whether or not Moore's law continues to be consistently true within the next ten years. Less than 9 years ago the original Iphone released. 

Won't happen, we're already seeing a significant slowdown in Moore's "observation" ...

sc94597 said:

The original iphone had 128 MB of ram, a 412 Mhz generic Samsung ARM CPU, and graphics capabilities much less than what the PSP can offer at the time. Today the best Iphone is better than the MacBook released in the same year in terms of CPU performance, has 2 GB of ram, and moderately surpasses the Vita in graphics capabilities/theoretically matches the PS360. So the jump in less than ten years was from worse than PSP to almost as good as PS360. And the 6s isn't even the best that is out there as far as phone hardware goes. 

Ten years is a very long time for technology to advance. 

And if it is true that power output is what truly limits the mobile devices, then it makes it even less of an issue because within ten years we should have a power-supply breakthrough as battery/capacitor technology has very much lagged behind the last few decades, and there is a lot of research going into the the solid-state physics involved to improve these technologies, as well as the engineering to implement them in cost-effective means. 

Gotta love using GeekBench and I also like how it's being compared to the weaker Broadwell samples ... 

sc94597 said:

Ten years is a very long time for technology to advance. 

The next ten years will be a time of stagnation, I guarantee it since Intel themselves can't even keep up with Moore's Law ...

sc94597 said:

And if it is true that power output is what truly limits the mobile devices, then it makes it even less of an issue because within ten years we should have a power-supply breakthrough as battery/capacitor technology has very much lagged behind the last few decades, and there is a lot of research going into the the solid-state physics involved to improve these technologies, as well as the engineering to implement them in cost-effective means. 

What makes you think we'll see an immediate battery technology breakthough in the next ten years when lithium ion has being a commercial standard for over 25 years ?! 

How are we going to do better than lithium if it's the lightest metallic element there is to offer ?

While possible, there is one HUGE caveat that really isn't being addressed: power consumption. Graphics aren't free. Anyone with a decent graphics card knows that you have to make sure that your power supply is appropriate for what the GPU draws.

Therefore, don't expect real world smartphone solutions until we find a way to either drastically reduce power consumption or revolutionize batteries..

You will never see a Game like Uncharted4, the Witcher3 or Horizon on a Mobile device. Second, the best looking games on PS4 and X1 in 2016 still compare very well VS PC games on 5000$ PC. The best way to play videogames is to buy a Sony or MS Console every 5-6 years. Nintendo have to wake up.

Mobile device are good for whatsApp, facebook, and mini games for kids.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network

Not only power, cooling as well. My laptop struggles with heat management when using the gpu. A phone is what, 1/10th the size? And my laptop also only lasts for an hour while playing a game on battery.
I'm not sure if you want to use a glowing hot phone in front of your face for VR :)

In *some* measurements, sure - but overall? No, but soon.

But then I predict we will soon see an increase in CPU performance and a massive growth in RAM. Some of my friends already run 32 gigs of RAM for their PC - and are starting to use much of it up in some game (like CitySkilines). So while mobile/phones are getting more powerful. We should see a similar leap in most PC's.

It's like now on PC 8gigs is the minimum on low budget PCs. A few years ago it was only half that.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

curl-6 said:
elektranine said:

Lol nice try ...

When i mentioned gigaflops I meant single-precision calculations not the half-precision crap that mobile device manufacturers use in their skewed benchmarks.

Guess you don't know the difference between half, single, and double precision floating point operations. They are all exponentially harder to perform than each other. Half precision calculations are basically useless to anything related to graphics.

The areno 430 is known to throttle severely for any task that lasts longer than a few milliseconds. Actual real world benchmarks peg this GPU at 50-60 single-precision gigaflops.

Actually, high end mobile chips beat PS3/360 in single precision too. Tegra K1, for example, peaks at 326 Gigaflops single precision, and that's a mobile chip from 2014.

And that's before we even start factoring in advantages outside of Gigaflops, like the far more modern graphical feature sets that modern mobile chips have compared to the ancient DX9-era stuff in PS3/360.

You do know that the Tegra K1 is used in zero smartphones. There is a reason smartphone manufacturers stay away from all of Nvidia's mobile stuff lately. They can see through all of Nvidia's marketing hogwash. Nvidia badly wants into the mobile market but Qualcomm is king. Basically the only devices running Nvidia's mobile chipsets is Nvidia along with a token tablet here or there from other companies. There is no reaching 326 gigaflops in the real world that is with active cooling and an active power supply. And even Nvidia's own tablets have this really weird short battery life even shorter than laptops (2-3 hours for gaming). 

Look at this thing it is huge. Its the size of a small motherboard. Its basically a scaled down laptop gpu with a quadcore arm cpu thrown in. Nobody is using this.

And you bring up DirectX. I don't see why, OpenGL is king when it comes to graphics. OpenGL is used in the vast majority of graphical applications and its supported by more hardware than DX ever was. Just because MS tries to force people to upgrade their OS by not updating the features of their API doesn't mean OpenGL has to do the same. OpenGL and their legacy support is really top notch and feature wise there is only a small subset of what you cant do on the PS3 versus with modern hardware.

curl-6 said:
JRPGfan said:

I think soon we ll see Smart Phones that are faster than the Playstation 3.

There have been smartphones faster than the PS3 for a while now.

AFAIK no there hasnt been. Not in ability to run things, and not theoretically either.

Theres some tablet chips that are theoretically faster than the PS3, but those use around 10-15watts (not the 2-3w of a smartphone).

Marketing departments have claimed Smart phones have console quality image effects ect, but its all just hot air.

Nvidia love to make headlines like that, why? because they want to sell their chips.

So far there isnt a smartphone chip (running at 2-3watts), that can beat the PS3 in terms of GPU performance.

This PR claim is nothing but hogwash and lies. Mobile will not be more powerful than PS4 in 2017. Here is why:

Moore's Law

Many of you may have heard of this and seen it used in tech writings but don't fully understand what it means.

Moore's law is a mathimatical proof about the density of transistors doubles every 2 years. With that the potential max power of a given chip with a given surface area will double every 2 years also. Keep in mind that this is just the upper bound meaning that at most the performance doubles every 2 years. There have been many points in history where industry has failed to keep up with moore's law and has fallen behind.

Lets say that even today that smartphones are somehow more powerful than the PS3/Xbox 360 (They are not and not even close).  In order to beat the PS4 arm chips would have to increase in power more than 804% by the end of 2017. Using moore's law that would be physically impossible, It would take the better part of 8 years even if they somehow managed to keep up with moore's law. That would be 2024 not 2017. Very much a lie not even clever PR talk but a boldfaced lie.