By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - America Needs Updated Infranstructure!

palou said:
haxxiy said:

Favouring consumption taxes burden disproportionately the poor, have cascading effects on inflation (at the same time managing to keep the velocity of circulation of money low,making the economy slower), and favour informal economics and the black market, lowering tax income and disadvantaging State-sponsored welfare systems.

Overall a terrible idea next to income taxes. Case in point, probably the biggest experiment on consumption taxes of the planet, the Brazilian economy. Don't go down that slope, please.

Another example: Germany has had very high consumption taxes, for ages. Doing just fine.

We're still alive and kickin'!

But our infrastructure sucks, too! There are countless places here where you don't even have 1 Mbit/s internet access. Then there are horrific data caps. Most people have like 500 MB on their mobile phone and that's it. It really makes you wonder why the hell you would need 4G with 300 Mbit/s when you can only use that for a few seconds. Until this very day, there is no option at any supplier to have unlimited mobile data. You can buy more traffic though, 5 GB for around 20 euros... expensive as fuck!

When it comes to transportation, just never leave big cities! It's ok in Frankfurt, Berlin, Munich and so on. But once you get into a town with around 25,000 people in it, it get's real bad. Public transportation is close to not existing there, with busses travelling only every HOUR. You don't get anywhere without your own car. And many streets are in a very bad condition, especially in the former DDR.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
Nettles said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Every few years the NYC metro keep raising the price. Currently it's $2.75 for a ride, that is almost $3.00. Almost 3 bucks just to get on a pubic bus/train while we still get the shitty service and shitty trains. All that coupled with high rent, price for living going up, all while the minimum wage staying the same. This is BS.

I remember when it used to be $1.50 back in 1999!

Bern for pres!

Oh and congratulations if you noticed the typo.

I still don't get how the NYC subway and London underground lose money.How is this possible, where does the money go? What wages are the drivers on and is there too many managers?

They say they're fixing the subway. By the looks of it, the only place they seem to fix is downtown Manhattan. They don't care about the uptown folks I tell you!

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

John Oliver did a great show about the Infrastructures. You should watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpzvaqypav8

Geralt said:
Let me just say this, America deserves better roads, bridges, schools, and trains. We are becoming a third world country. Hillary clinton, bernie sanders, ted cruz, jeb bush, and many other think this is okay, but its not. Chicago trains are disgusting and expensive!

Actually Bernie Sanders is the only one, as far as I know, that specifically has laid out a plan to rebuild the infra structure.

Cobretti2 said:
Man I don't know if any of you complaining about USA infrastructure have stepped a foot into another country lol.

I was blow away by it.

HUGE roads, well designed malls. best sports in the world.

Our roads you can basically hand shake the guy next to you without sticking your whole arm out of the car lol.

You can't really complain about that. City roads were originally for horses. Then the roads just used the same space. What are you gonna do. Move every building over? It be easier to ban cars bigger than smart cars. That are not used for transportation goods.

Around the Network

Take out the likes of New York and D.C and Ireland definitely has better infrastructure than the U.S. Lived in....Wisconsin........for 5 years........nuff said.....Typical Midwest state. 35 minutes from the capital city....No broadband internet.

And the roads? Ireland has road issues because some of them are from the Jurassic era, homes were built on them and they govt has to upkeep some tiny backroad for one granny and/or tourists. The Beltline around Madison Wisconsin is barely drivable. Pot holes in a high speed limit. Scared the heck out of me. If you're Irish and Reading this, imagine a hole every 10 foot on the M6 going 120 kmp/h. I inherited a horrible habit of boomboxing along to the rippling of my tyres a la *a doom, ba doom, ba diddly doom* and repeat the whole way to work.

And the bridges and railway tracks? Dear Jebus!!

archer9234 said:
Cobretti2 said:
Man I don't know if any of you complaining about USA infrastructure have stepped a foot into another country lol.

I was blow away by it.

HUGE roads, well designed malls. best sports in the world.

Our roads you can basically hand shake the guy next to you without sticking your whole arm out of the car lol.

You can't really complain about that. City roads were originally for horses. Then the roads just used the same space. What are you gonna do. Move every building over? It be easier to ban cars bigger than smart cars. That are not used for transportation goods.

What a stupid comment Cobretti. Have you been to the countryside in the US? It's the same. It's not all like you see on TV :P

OdinHades said:
palou said:

Another example: Germany has had very high consumption taxes, for ages. Doing just fine.

We're still alive and kickin'!

But our infrastructure sucks, too! There are countless places here where you don't even have 1 Mbit/s internet access. Then there are horrific data caps. Most people have like 500 MB on their mobile phone and that's it. It really makes you wonder why the hell you would need 4G with 300 Mbit/s when you can only use that for a few seconds. Until this very day, there is no option at any supplier to have unlimited mobile data. You can buy more traffic though, 5 GB for around 20 euros... expensive as fuck!

When it comes to transportation, just never leave big cities! It's ok in Frankfurt, Berlin, Munich and so on. But once you get into a town with around 25,000 people in it, it get's real bad. Public transportation is close to not existing there, with busses travelling only every HOUR. You don't get anywhere without your own car. And many streets are in a very bad condition, especially in the former DDR.

You think 5gb at 20 euros is a lot? Go to Verizon.com and see what the Americans pay for their phone plans. Also, 1 mbps? Try next to some state capitals. Too many people from Europe think the US = New York. Most of the US has horrible infrastructure.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/data-only-plan/ 

6 gb = $40 + $20 a month for a hotspot + $5 a month per device used.

cfin2987@gmail.com said:
archer9234 said:

What a stupid comment Cobretti. Have you been to the countryside in the US? It's the same. It's not all like you see on TV :P

Why do you think I said city. They just stuck with the same dimenions everywhere else. Bridges and Trains could be huge too. Effencity is gonna beat out convience anyway. They'll make more lanes before they make a lane bigger. Why would you need more room anyway? If an acceident happens. That's gonna disrupt the road regardless. If I was a state. I'd have 8 lanes, instead of 6. So people can get home faster. Roads are tools. Not a couch to lounge around in.

Roads and bridges are no different to anywhere else in the "first" world. People who tell you otherwise probably haven't been about much.

Public transportation is an area that does need large amounts of improvements. These are often run by cities / states, though. I think many places will be better off by privatising large parts of their public transport network. I'm in NJ/NY area right now, and I certainly think a good case could be made for privatising the PATH and MTA.

Indiana "recently" privatised a large chunk of its road networks, to great success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGg6w5jA_Tg

Florida is currently having a high-speed rail connection built by a private company, from Miami to Orlando, with some stops in between (potential expansion down the line). 100% privately funded, a first for any rail line in the USA in over a century.

Started construction in 2015, opens in 2017. No cost to taxpayer. Let's compare that to California's highspeed (and Government owned) service, when that finally opens, how long will that take, how much will that cost the tax payer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Aboard_Florida