By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - America Needs Updated Infranstructure!

Metroid33slayer said:
What the? The USA is the richest country in the world, no where else in the world do the people live in such luxury, extravagance and wealth, I think you need to put things in perspective. The average person in the USA has a far higher standard of living than the people of china and Saudi Arabia, a slow train isn't going to change that.

The complaint is that the wealth is used inefficiently.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
Nighthawk117 said:
Just raise the federal tax on gasoline, it's been 18.4 cents a gallon since 1993. Raise it to something like 50 cents and use the money to pay for roads and bridges.

Favouring consumption taxes burden disproportionately the poor, have cascading effects on inflation (at the same time managing to keep the velocity of circulation of money low,making the economy slower), and favour informal economics and the black market, lowering tax income and disadvantaging State-sponsored welfare systems.

Overall a terrible idea next to income taxes. Case in point, probably the biggest experiment on consumption taxes of the planet, the Brazilian economy. Don't go down that slope, please.

Another example: Germany has had very high consumption taxes, for ages. Doing just fine.

Bet with PeH: 

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

Geralt said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/02/11/donald-trump-rolls-into-south-carolina-as-his-supporters-shout-amen/

There are countries like China, Japan, Saudi Arabia and many more that have better infranstructure than in the United States. Asia has high speed trains and airports that outshine the ones here in the USA.

It is embarrassing!

As a person who takes the train everyday, I can relate to this. The train I take to Chicago moves at speeds around 30 MPH, the train cars are either cold or too warm. The toilets don't flush. The tickets are way too expensive. This is going to change folks!

Trump said that :

-He'll rebuild infrastructure

-He'll rebuild the military

-He won't get rid of public healthcare

And he's OF COURSE not raising taxes!

Let's see which 2 of the four he's going to pull through with.

Bet with PeH: 

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

We should bring back the Civilian Conservation Corps and have them focus on infrastructure.

Geralt said:

It is embarrassing!

Almost as embarrassing as misspelling infrastructure in the thread title.

Around the Network

Man I don't know if any of you complaining about USA infrastructure have stepped a foot into another country lol.

I was blow away by it.

HUGE roads, well designed malls. best sports in the world.

Our roads you can basically hand shake the guy next to you without sticking your whole arm out of the car lol.

Cobretti2 said:
Man I don't know if any of you complaining about USA infrastructure have stepped a foot into another country lol.

I was blow away by it.

HUGE roads, well designed malls. best sports in the world.

Our roads you can basically hand shake the guy next to you without sticking your whole arm out of the car lol.

We do have a lot of bridges and roads in dire need of repair.  There are bridges that collapse every once in awhile here which are sometimes caused by human error (like a semi truck that is too high tries to go under a bridge) but some just fall because of neglect/poor upkeep.

One of the many reasons why I got the Bern!

deskpro2k3 said:

Every few years the NYC metro keep raising the price. Currently it's $2.75 for a ride, that is almost $3.00. Almost 3 bucks just to get on a pubic bus/train while we still get the shitty service and shitty trains. All that coupled with high rent, price for living going up, all while the minimum wage staying the same. This is BS.

I remember when it used to be $1.50 back in 1999!

Bern for pres!

Oh and congratulations if you noticed the typo.

I still don't get how the NYC subway and London underground lose money.How is this possible, where does the money go? What wages are the drivers on and is there too many managers?

trains are great for the big cities but most of the country isn't built for it. You'd need to have at least 500k people to even think about it unless they remake the cities so everything is built closer together. Most mid sized cities are losing lots of money on the bus system because people aren't riding them. I do my part and i walk a mile to get to work every day even though it's the dead of winter and it's gonna be -27 C tomorrow night.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X