By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Large Pirate Group Halts Activity to Measure Sales Impact - End of *Gaming* Piracy in Sight?

Will piracy be largley eradicated in the next 5 years?

Yes 16 12.60%

No 88 69.29%

I'll wait and see 23 18.11%

Total:127

By the time someone cracks denuvo, denuvo version 2 will be out, seems as though they've gotten ahead of the crackers.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
By the time someone cracks denuvo, denuvo version 2 will be out, seems as though they've gotten ahead of the crackers.

This group did manage to crack Dragon Age: Inquisition which used Denuvo, but it took quite a while. I wouldn't say they've gotten ahead of the crackers yet, but in a year or two, possibly.

If you are obtaining a game that you cannot get through legitimate means (ie in a way that would benefit the game's makers) then piracy is reasonable. This would apply for games that are out of production or will never be released in your region, and that's about it.

For any game that is openly available piracy is wrong. If you don't want to by a game then you shouldn't have it. I didn't have much money as a kid so I sucked it up, saving what I could get, and bought what I could.

If piracy were eliminated of course game sales would rise. Millions of people aren't going to stop gaming altogether, the hobby is too deeply entrenched. They obviously wouldn't buy a copy for each game they would have pirated, but they would buy some games.

Smear-Gel said:

ReimTime said:

A valid point

Very interesting videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD-9aygUOSg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI7O4hBFBoo

Ah, thank you

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Piracy is going to happen. The market is the biggest factor in this regard. If people don't have the expendable income to purchase these things they will be more liable to use other methods to obtain them. Call it deviant, but think of it as moving water where a dam will only hold so much before the water circumvents it.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Around the Network
Smear-Gel said:

I just defended piracy by saying it's harm is overstated and you say "anyone that Is pro piracy in anyway is probably a pirate and is just selfishly defending their vile habit." But then say you're not naming names. Lame. Just say that you mean the people in this thread and how there is no possibility they could have this different opinion unless they are selfish jerks.

Plus, it's pretty easy to defend it. I was a super poor kid. If I didnt download Pokemon Emerald as a kid I might not have become a big enough pokemon fan and eventually buy every game in Gens 5 and 6. If I couldnt have downloaded it, I would have had absolutely no other way to get it at all. A friend gave me a physical copy years later but used games are in the same boat as piracy anyways. And he only gave me because I was interested in it, and only became interested because I played it as a kid. Plus, besides this paragraph I never defended piracy, I just said it's not ruining games as much as a lot of other things are right now.

Anyways, the TV show statement was a more general statement based on piracy on a whole.  Saying a sale lost to piracy is a sale lost period is simply wrong, as there are numerous people who would never buy the game, due to it being unavailable in thier country, them not being able to ever afford it or simply just being tightwads who dont want to pay.

Sales arent a game's only source of income. There's tie in deals, and in some cases, physical media and merchendice for larger games.

It would stink if people took my stuff for free. That's not the argument though. The argument is that there are numerous games where the effect is much less than people think. And it the impack definitely changes the bigger the franchise. An indie game will take a major hit from piracy but a company selling 8 million of a game will take a much tinier hit.

I'm sorry if i came off as harsh or uncompromising..... its just that this is a very sensitive topic for me. And no, I am not a developer, but I have dabbled in making some apps and I feel for developers when in comes to piracy and the effect piracy has on them. 

I also understand that there are people that simply can't fford to buy these games, and some even can but have no legitimate easy means to get them due to where in the world they are.

In all honesty, my issue is what those that actually can afford these games. Those that can afford to spend $500+ on a GPU and God knows what else on everything else; but cheap out on actually buying the game because its easy to pirate it.

My problem with piracy, especially on the PC, is that for majority of PC gamers piracy is a very accepted distribution model. There are a lot of PC gamers I know that don't for a second even consider ever actually paying for a game. Like why the hell should you pay for something that you can get for free?

The impact won't be all that much.Many who pirate cant afford games.

Intrinsic said:

My problem with piracy, especially on the PC, is that for majority of PC gamers piracy is a very accepted distribution model. There are a lot of PC gamers I know that don't for a second even consider ever actually paying for a game. Like why the hell should you pay for something that you can get for free?

How many is a lot btw?, how much of the entire PC userbase are we talking here?.

All the PC guys I know don't pirate and have hundreds of games on Steam as well as GoG.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Intrinsic said:

How many is a lot btw?, how much of the entire PC userbase are we talking here?.

All the PC guys I know don't pirate and have hundreds of games on Steam as well as GoG.

hmmmm. well, when a games recoredee sales on PC is less than the amount of times the game is pirated, would you consider that as a lot?

Intrinsic said:

hmmmm. well, when a games recoredee sales on PC is less than the amount of times the game is pirated, would you consider that as a lot?

I dunno, it just seems to me that you're using some slight sales data and pairing it up with some ottrent numbers and claling it a day on a market of gamers. It reminds me of the time Ubisoft outright called all PC gamers pirates, I don't see how this is any different.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"