By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Large Pirate Group Halts Activity to Measure Sales Impact - End of *Gaming* Piracy in Sight?

Will piracy be largley eradicated in the next 5 years?

Yes 16 12.60%

No 88 69.29%

I'll wait and see 23 18.11%

Total:127
Chazore said:
Intrinsic said:

hmmmm. well, when a games recoredee sales on PC is less than the amount of times the game is pirated, would you consider that as a lot?

I dunno, it just seems to me that you're using some slight sales data and pairing it up with some ottrent numbers and claling it a day on a market of gamers. It reminds me of the time Ubisoft outright called all PC gamers pirates, I don't see how this is any different.

Ok whatever. How many isn't even the issue. And I have not said every single PC gamer is a pirate. I said a lot. Meaning that a lot of PC gamers pirate stuff.  if the amount of times a game is sold is less than the amount of times its been pirated that's a lot. if a game has been pirated around 50% in relation to is actual sales. That's a lot. 20%, that's a lot too. 

Point is, piracy so far is mostly a PC thing. call it slight, call it whatever. 

Around the Network

My guess is that it won't. People who pirate do so because they don't have the means necessary to buy it nor is their mindset geared to buy it. It will have a slight impact but not by much. People are stubborn.

Nuvendil said:
Hmmm. Funny thing I forgot to mention last time I stuck my head in this: while some won't buy until they pirate and some won't buy if they can pirate, I think there's a very significant group who "pirate" *because* they bought, as a means of being able to play a game without interfacing with Uplay, Origin, or Steam or so they don't need the disc. I know I did that with Oblivion,downloaded a cracked .exe so I could play without the disc. And I know a lot of people who not only do it but have been doing it for a long, long time. Just another subset of sales Piracy has no impact on.

I actually do this for all my games.I only use Steam and GOG to buy my games, and then download the cracked version to avoid drm, that way I can keep my games forever in case the company that released the games closed their online services and I'm left with no way to validate the game I bought.

Intrinsic said:

Ok whatever. How many isn't even the issue. And I have not said every single PC gamer is a pirate. I said a lot. Meaning that a lot of PC gamers pirate stuff.  if the amount of times a game is sold is less than the amount of times its been pirated that's a lot. if a game has been pirated around 50% in relation to is actual sales. That's a lot. 20%, that's a lot too. 

Point is, piracy so far is mostly a PC thing. call it slight, call it whatever. 

When you mean a lot I ask again, how big is that number out of the imaginable total?. I ask ebcause when you say a lot, a lot to me means well a lot, as in a lot more than less or halfway. It's like saying a lot is more than half so it's say to say in percentages that a "lot" is past 50%, that's why I want to know how you know that there are a lot of pirates that aren't buying the game or vs the number of those that have bought a game or will buy one in the future (because sales on PC really and honestly do not jump off a cliff and stop right there like the end gen of a console which does stop because the next system is released and taking on enw members along with being stopped in general after some time).

See Skyrim was pirated a lot back when it was released and yet it's sold a hell of a lot on PC since it was released, like a lot more than last gen. Same with XCOM EU that would have also had some piracy and yet that also sold double than last gen combined for Firaxis. The type of approach to take when lookign at seeders is akin to the way SE sees sales when they complaiend about the first Reboot of TR's sales number was like, they didn't pin it all on pirates or all on PC gamers but they still compared their numbers with numbers they previously sold at rather than looking at what they sold and what they will sell for and be happy with it, which is eventually what they did point out some time later.

Also if we want to Drag the Witness into this with the "a lot" focus, the dev in question claims that the Steam Spy data is innacurate and that he's sold a lot more than that so in the end a £35 has made him a lot of money and he's happy to point out that SS data wasn't correct and that he sold more, that actually tells you something, especially on his now changed perspective. (obvious it's changed because days earlier he was ragging pirates this and that instead of focussing on the sales he is making but days later he;s more than happy to switch to being positive about the amount of sales he's making, even to a point where he can put SS to shame).

Piracy isn't just on PC though, it's on consoles and it's existed centuries before those two platforms even existed and it;s going to remain a thing with humanity for centuries more. The whole "yeah but it's bigger more on PC" doens't somehow devalue the platform or give a fair right to keep slandering it, it's proven time and time againt hat they can make money from the platform and those that were never going to buy the game never bought it or those that pirated to test it for demo reasons (which there is a massive lack of these days and that is an issue whether you like it or not) and then proceeded to buy it later. Point is you cannot defeat piracy like how a super hero valliantly defeats a villain, it;s like trying to move an immovable object, the besty you can do is try to move around it like some devs do when approaching piracy with a level ehad rather than one that thniskks they can defeat the unknown.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

If you look at the history of PC games, there were other DRM measures before (SecuROM, SafeDisc, StarForce, etc). Eventually, they were all reverse engineered. I don't think this one will be any different.

I also don't believe that piracy makes that much of a difference.

If the industry could only convince pirates to wait 30 days or 7 days after a release, and see what impact it has.