By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Large Pirate Group Halts Activity to Measure Sales Impact - End of *Gaming* Piracy in Sight?

Will piracy be largley eradicated in the next 5 years?

Yes 16 12.60%

No 88 69.29%

I'll wait and see 23 18.11%

Total:127

*note* The poll is supposed to read "will gaming piracy be largely eradicated within the next five years", in reference to anti-crack measures getting stronger. Apologies for poor spelling and messy OP

Good afternoon people of VGC. An interesting article came to my attention recently. A big Chinese pirate group has decided to take a one year break from cracking single player games. Read on

Pirate Group Suspends New Cracks to Measure Impact on Sales

The China-based cracking group that recently bemoaned Denuvo's anti-piracy system as all but unbreakable has delivered a second surprise announcement. 3DM says it will stop working on single-player games cracks for at least a year so it can assess whether genuine sales will be affected.

One of the hottest topics in the game piracy scene in late 2015 surrounded the Avalanche Studios/Square Enix title Just Cause 3.

Released on December 1, 2015, pirates were eager to get their hands on the game for free. However, JC3 is protected by the latest iteration of Denuvo, an anti-tamper technology developed by Denuvo Software Solutions GmbH. Denuvo is not DRM per se, but acts as a secondary encryption system protecting underlying DRM products.

All eyes had been on notorious Chinese game cracking group/forum 3DM to come up with the goods but last month the group delivered a killer blow to its fans.

According to the leader of the group, the very public ‘Bird Sister’ (also known as Phoenix), the game was proving extremely difficult to crack. In fact, Bird Sister said that current anti-piracy technology is becoming so good that in two years there might not be pirated games anymore.

One month on from those words and Just Cause 3 still hasn’t been cracked and today brings even more bad news for those hoping to obtain the best gaming titles for free. Taking to her personal blog once more, Bird Sister has just announced an immediate end to the cracking activities of 3DM.

“We just had an internal meeting. Starting at the Chinese New Year, 3DM will not crack any single-player games,” Bird Sister says.

For those wondering, the Chinese New Year is next Monday, February 8.

“Cracks by overseas warez groups will still get posted on the [3DM] forum, and we will actively deal with these,” the group’s leader adds.

It is not entirely clear what “actively deal with” means, but the suggestion is that these cracks will not be allowed on the 3DM BBS/forum.

Bird Sister

What is perhaps most interesting, however, is the group’s apparent reasoning for ceasing their cracking activities. Denuvo was previously cited as a headache for the group but this time around that technology isn’t mentioned.

Instead, 3DM essentially indicates they’re taking part in an experiment to see how the lack of cracks affects the legitimate market.

“We’ll take a look at the situation in a year’s time to see if genuine sales have grown,” Bird Sister says.

There can be little doubt that the effective withdrawal of 3DM from the piracy market will be received as a huge blow to the group’s fans internationally who have come to rely on it for their pirate fix. There is a modicum of good news for the Chinese though, since 3DM will still work on translating and localizing games for its internal market.

The announcement comes on the heels of yesterday’s earnings report from Square Enix, the company behind Just Cause 3 and fellow Denuvo-protected (and also yet to be cracked) title Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Square Enix of America and Europe CEO Phil Rogers said both games had enjoyed “solid starts” but stopped short of revealing sales stats.

------------------------------------------

Taken from https://torrentfreak.com/pirate-group-suspends-new-cracks-to-measure-impact-on-sales-160206/

What do you think? Will reduced piracy activity by such a big group cause a noticeable increase in sales? Will *gaming* piracy be largely eradicated in the next 5 years due to increasing tech levels?

Discuss. Thanks for reading and enjoy the rest of your day!

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Around the Network

Hasnt it been proven as not affecting AAA games as much as people like to believe?

We always go back to the Game of Thrones argument. One of the most pirated TV shows ever and still an absolutely massive ratings success.

Hmmm. Funny thing I forgot to mention last time I stuck my head in this: while some won't buy until they pirate and some won't buy if they can pirate, I think there's a very significant group who "pirate" *because* they bought, as a means of being able to play a game without interfacing with Uplay, Origin, or Steam or so they don't need the disc. I know I did that with Oblivion,downloaded a cracked .exe so I could play without the disc. And I know a lot of people who not only do it but have been doing it for a long, long time. Just another subset of sales Piracy has no impact on.

Smear-Gel said:
Hasnt it been proven as not affecting AAA games as much as people like to believe?

We always go back to the Game of Thrones argument. One of the most pirated TV shows ever and still an absolutely massive ratings success.

I don't know if we can put shows in the same basket. TV shows will be streamed for free on some sites regardless, and I don't think you can put DRM software on a TV show. 

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Nuvendil said:
Hmmm. Funny thing I forgot to mention last time I stuck my head in this: while some won't buy until they pirate and some won't buy if they can pirate, I think there's a very significant group who "pirate" *because* they bought, as a means of being able to play a game without interfacing with Uplay, Origin, or Steam or so they don't need the disc. I know I did that with Oblivion,downloaded a cracked .exe so I could play without the disc. And I know a lot of people who not only do it but have been doing it for a long, long time. Just another subset of sales Piracy has no impact on.

I know I pirated a couple of games I own because I moved from Windows to Mac for work-related reasons and didn't want to run Boot-camp. The games I downloaded had a mini windows emulator wrapped around them so you can run them like any other app. Most pirating I've ever done was stuff like that, unoffical localizations of games that stayed in Japan, games that didn't have a mac port, stuff that would be otherwise inaccessible to me. What I can buy, I do buy, and once I've bought something I feel sort of free to pirate it for convenience sake.

(Only semi-related to the topic, but region-locked DvDs are the shittiest thing ever. I own several complete shows on Region 1 Dvds that I just can't play. I bought these. Yes I'm going to use a stream if you won't let me watch them otherwise)

I don't think they'll really see any effect on sales though. Not neccissarily because there are NO lost sales due to piracy (although I don't think the number is anywhere near as substantial as companys think it is) but because another group will step up in their place.

Around the Network

Piracy has gone on for centuries, why would it suddenly stop completely and utterly in 5 years with a planet of 7+ billion people?.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I like this Denuvo thing. No BS DRM limitations yet extremely hard to crack.

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One

Piracy will never die, people will always find a way to do it.

Doesn't matter if one large group stops, it certainly won't stop a good number of individuals from continuing to pirate.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

ReimTime said:
Smear-Gel said:

I don't know if we can put shows in the same basket. TV shows will be streamed for free on some sites regardless, and I don't think you can put DRM software on a TV show. 

True. That was more of a "piracy in general'

But I do still think it's also meaningless in games.

The Witness is being pirated so much that the developer complained, but it's also outsoled in a week what his last game sold in a year, despite being much more expensive.