By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Large Pirate Group Halts Activity to Measure Sales Impact - End of *Gaming* Piracy in Sight?

Will piracy be largley eradicated in the next 5 years?

Yes 16 12.60%

No 88 69.29%

I'll wait and see 23 18.11%

Total:127

I hope piracy remains relevent, really I do, despite paying for all my games. Piracy helps keep publishers in check along with demos, allowing someone to judge a game by its content/quality alone without paying beforehand. I do not condone theft, but I fear a world where these companies go completely unchecked and the consumer is being less and less respected.

Around the Network

People who pirate weren't going to buy games in the first place.
The smart groups are the ones pointing fingers at used sales

BasilZero said:
If they wont do it - someone else will.
Ultrashroomz said:
Doesn't matter if one large group stops, it certainly won't stop a good number of individuals from continuing to pirate.

Even if they can't crack Denuvo?

aLkaLiNE said:
I hope piracy remains relevent, really I do, despite paying for all my games. Piracy helps keep publishers in check along with demos, allowing someone to judge a game by its content/quality alone without paying beforehand. I do not condone theft, but I fear a world where these companies go completely unchecked and the consumer is being less and less respected.

I've also seen an increase in the number of demos and betas being made available. A huge increase in fact. I think that is a better method than piracy for judging a game. Even reviews can help

#1 Amb-ass-ador

ReimTime said:
Ultrashroomz said:
Doesn't matter if one large group stops, it certainly won't stop a good number of individuals from continuing to pirate.

It's bound to be cracked eventually, sure it might take a very long time, but hackers always find a way.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Oh man my spelling is atrocious :-| plus I've made a few mistakes in my reasoning. This is why I shouldn't browse VGC on my phone

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Around the Network
Ultrashroomz said:
ReimTime said:

It's bound to be cracked eventually, sure it might take a very long time, but hackers always find a way.

Do you think a lack of piracy will result in an increase in sales? Tough question since you can't compare the same game both with and without piracy to a tee.

You know what, the more I think about it, 3DM probably just stopped because they couldn't crack Denuvo and grew lazy. "Measuring sales" would be impossible lol

#1 Amb-ass-ador

BasilZero said:
ReimTime said:

In the world of computing and technology - nothing is impossible to crack/modify/edit. If one person cant - another person will eventually come by and do it.

But can you explain why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

Help me out man I set myself up to fail!

Do you at least think piracy will decline in the coming years with increases in DRM tech?

#1 Amb-ass-ador

BasilZero said:
ReimTime said:

But can you explain why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

Help me out man I set myself up to fail!

Do you at least think piracy will decline in the coming years with increases in DRM tech?

Kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch because it has a food additive that makes them crave for more :O - something similar in fast food too.

;O!

Anyways, I dont think Piracy will take a major hit but it will be harder to crack newer DRM technology. Companies will find a way to patch out issues with DRM or create new forms of DRM as a better defense.

It'll probably take a longer time for a game to get pirated but I dont think its gonna have a long lasting effect.

Not that I'm supporting piracy since all of my PC games are legit :O

Now there's an idea! Slowly ween people off of piracy by undercutting the pirate groups! Give games away for free! /s

So you don't think one group backing off for a while speaks for piracy as a whole? Will the ratio of purchased to pirated games see a change?

#1 Amb-ass-ador

imagine how much they will charge now for complete games?

Sadly, Piracy isn't going anywhere. There's always going to be people who don't want to play by the rules. And I'm not saying it's a good thing but many present game developers have been quoted saying that they pirated games a while back, when they were younger, because they couldn't afford the game at the time. My stance on Piracy has two sides. I say it's okay to pirate games that you can't find anywhere else/no longer being sold. I don't promote pirating fresh off the market games and it's quite difficult to do on consoles anyhow.