By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Did gamecube have good third party support? Also looking at it games it looks great

luigi mansion
starfox adventures
resident evil zero
resident evil remake
resident evil 2
resident evil 3
resident evil 4
viewtiful joe
p.n.03
zelda wind waker
star wars rogue leather
etc...

Around the Network

Yep it definitely did. Most major titles that werent ps2 exclusive were on it. Sure there were a few ps2/xbox only games but there were also quite a few xbox/Gamecube games or gamecube/ps2 games as well. The third party support that the Gamecube received is horribly understated at times.

According to me it was by far the best supported Nintendo console by third parties. Nintendo actually tried to compete with PS2 and Xbox the only thing that made it fail where stupid design choices like making it look to kiddy and those mini dvd's. It made it the Xone of the 6th gen, while Xone tried to be playstation, playstation remained playstation. Oh well good times, we will not see back.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

TheLastStarFighter said:
There is no point in having "good" third part support. You need "full" third party support. Without FF and GTA, you only buy GCN for 1St party.

There is a point in having good third party support if you don't have major draughts. With it the Wii U could have sold a bit better or even a lot better.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Gamecube is great, I have one set up in my kitchen which I still use regularly. I still need my Wave Race Blue Storm and Mario Sunshine fix.

Around the Network

It had the best version of RE4, so I'd say it didn't do too badly when it came to 3rd party games.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Capcom certainly turned out some strong 3rd party titles for the system but fell short of the stella efforts made by Rare on the N64.

If only the Gamecube used DVD format, looked less like a kids system, had Rare still producing 3rd party titles and did more to embrace third parties it may have been a success.

Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

SlayerRondo said:
Capcom certainly turned out some strong 3rd party titles for the system but fell short of the stella efforts made by Rare on the N64.

If only the Gamecube used DVD format, looked less like a kids system, had Rare still producing 3rd party titles and did more to embrace third parties it may have been a success.

Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

Not even just in hindsight, a lot of those issues seemed problematic even at the time. 

It had decent third party support for about 18 months. It got most of the third party multiplatform games that PS2 and Xbox got. Then around mid-2003, the industry collectively decided to drop their GameCube support. After that, it still got the annual sports games and some exclusive third party games but not nearly what it got before.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Qwark said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
There is no point in having "good" third part support. You need "full" third party support. Without FF and GTA, you only buy GCN for 1St party.

There is a point in having good third party support if you don't have major draughts. With it the Wii U could have sold a bit better or even a lot better.

Nope.  If you are lacking key major titles like GTA or Final Fantasy, there's no point in even bothering.  People who want to play the full market of games will pick a different system.  People will only pick up a system with partial 3rd party support if they really, really, like the 1st party.  And they would do that regardless of the semi-good 3rd party because they either a) have another console or b) don't really care about the 3rd party stuff and are a massive fan of the 1st party (Nintendo).  Either way, the spotty 3rd party content is irrelevant.  And that's why 3rd party doesn't sell on Nintendo consoles.  It needs to be full or nothing.