By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Curious About Final Fantasy Franchise. Where to Start?

Final Fantasy X would be a good start. It's fairly easy and straightforward.

Around the Network
nico_kaneo said:

Curious About Final Fantasy Franchise. Where to Start?

Since no Final Fantasy game are linked story-wise, or character-wise, this question makes no sense. If you're looking for which good Final Fantasy to play, then you already know the answer to this. As some have said FFVII is the most popular. FFVI is the one that is most popular to people who stopped playing Final Fantasy. FFIX is the most popular to people who like weird anime creatures. FFX is the "last great Final Fantasy", and everything else is "meh" at best. Take your pick. But, if you can, avoid FFXIII and its sequels.  

Actually, Final Fantasy XII, was one of the biggest Final Fantasy games, when talk about secret Foes, Huntings, the term "Hunter" define what you are in Final Fantasy XII, and the battle system was nice, everyone  was able to be anything from the start, the Licensing system was very nice, you could have 6 Black mages if  was you wish, and from the Start.

Final Fantasy XII, had a poor protagonist, but a good Side-characters, like Balthier, Bash, Fran, and Ashe, but the main protagonist that are Vaan, and Penelo, are not good characters, this does not make Final Fantasy Xii, a bad game, because the Support-characters, or the Side-characters, are so much alive, that fit the Hole that the Main protagonist make on the Plot. but as i said before, the Hunting, on Final Fantasy Xii, makes the game very funny, and make it worth despite having poor main characters.

other Final Fantasy games, are locked until the final of the game, or until you get on a advanced part of the game, because of that Final Fantasy VII, also is a great game, because also gives you freedom to chose your class.

Final Fantasy Xiii, was a decent game, but not the best of the Final Fantasy games, was too Linear, but instead of Final Fantasy X, had some good characters like Lightining, and some poor characters like Hope, while Final Fantasy X, all the Characters are unique, and we need each one in the plot, even when Kimahri, only speaking 130 words the entire 7 Hours of Final Fantasy X's Cut-scenes, he is a necessary, and a very good character, fits very well on the Plot.

the Final Fantasy Xiii Sequels,  the FFXIII-2, and FFXIII-Lightining Returns, are better than the Main Final Fantasy Xiii, because those 2 games were made with the help of the Creators of the Star Ocean's Series, so have  a better Battle System.

Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VII (pc version +mods)
Final Fantasy X

I would start with the Final Fantasy X / X2 HD Remaster.
After that you can continue with Final Fantasy Type 0.

I wouldn't buy the Final Fantasy VII port on PS4 since the Remake will release probably later this year.

AlfredoTurkey said:
My advice is the same advice I give anyone who hasn't played any franchise. Start with the first and work your way through them as they released. It's the only way you can appreciate the franchise as much as the rest of us who did the same thing. Going out of order will forever taint your ability to objectively critique each game.

Unfortunately, this is a fairly unrealistic endeavor. Particularly the early releases are just too difficult to find (unless I want to play the iOS ports which I assume are garbage). Or I could spend like $90 to buy FFI & FFII on GBA. I'm just not willing to put in that sort of investment. Also, in order to play like, XI & XII, I'd have to buy a PS2. For XIII I'd have to buy a PS3. It's just not worth it.

Around the Network
SJReiter said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
My advice is the same advice I give anyone who hasn't played any franchise. Start with the first and work your way through them as they released. It's the only way you can appreciate the franchise as much as the rest of us who did the same thing. Going out of order will forever taint your ability to objectively critique each game.

Unfortunately, this is a fairly unrealistic endeavor. Particularly the early releases are just too difficult to find (unless I want to play the iOS ports which I assume are garbage). Or I could spend like $90 to buy FFI & FFII on GBA. I'm just not willing to put in that sort of investment. Also, in order to play like, XI & XII, I'd have to buy a PS2. For XIII I'd have to buy a PS3. It's just not worth it.

I didn't know money was an issue. If that's the case, personally, I'd still buy the first game and then wait to move on when I have the money. But, it was just advice. Do whatever you want.

AlfredoTurkey said:
SJReiter said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

I didn't know money was an issue. If that's the case, personally, I'd still buy the first game and then wait to move on when I have the money. But, it was just advice. Do whatever you want.

It's not that money is an issue....

Of course I could if I wanted to, but I just think it's crazy to go back and buy like 2 consoles (at least) and also close to $100 for 20+ year old games. 

Start with FFVII PS4 version, Then FFVII Remake later when it's out.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:
Start with FFVII PS4 version, Then FFVII Remake later when it's out.

Yup. I've just started FFVII on PS4. About a couple hours in and I think it's pretty cool. The graphics are fine IMO, although one thing that is kinda weird is how it seems like the character models don't really belong in those environments. Never played a game like that before lol.

Hiku said:
Dr.Vita said:
I would start with the Final Fantasy X / X2 HD Remaster.
After that you can continue with Final Fantasy Type 0.

I wouldn't buy the Final Fantasy VII port on PS4 since the Remake will release probably later this year.

The first FF7 Remake game (there will probably be at least three) is probably due in 2017. Because that's the 30th anniversary. And it's going to be quite a few years before all games are out. And even then, the game is already confirmed to be very different from the original, so its a very different experience. Nothing that should stop you from experiencing FF7.

Indeed, FF 7 Remake, mighty release on 2017, they will not Release Final Fantasy XV, just 2-3 Months before Final Fantasy 7 Remake, would hurt the sales.