By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Curious About Final Fantasy Franchise. Where to Start?

Hey guys, I realize that this is a question that must be fairly common, but I was curious about which Final Fantasy game would be best as an entry point for someone who's never played a game in the series before. I've done a little reading on it and saw that the games don't really follow any sort of narrative structure so it's not necessary to play them in order. I also realize that it's not realistic to expect to play every game (there's like 20 something right?). But anyway, I read an article where the author stated either Final Fantasy X HD, Final Fantasy VII (should I wait for the remake?), and Final Fantasy XIII were all good starting points. Is this correct? Or are there better ones to begin with?

Please bear in mind that I have a PS4 & Wii U (I think there are some FF games on Wii Virtual Console?), so if there's one that was only for like PS1/PS2 or PS3/X360 I wouldn't be able to play it unfortunately.

Thanks guys

Around the Network

Final Fantasy VII and X are the two most popular, and I would say that either is a good starting point. VI and IX are also widely praised, though.

FFX and FF7 are good starting points. People will probably say 6, 8, and 9 here because they have a huge following on the site -but I very much disagree. Personally, theyre a lot to take in for beginners. X & 7 are more straight forward than the before mentioned. Play 6, 8, and 9 after. Or if youre more familiar w/ Xenoblade, go for 12

Start with 4 or 7, since you have a ps4 you could also try 10 when it's cheaper

VII was the starting point for millions of fans and it still holds that fanbase 20 years later. Plus, considering you own a PS4 there is a really, really good version available for you to buy.

I would say it's a good starting point.

Around the Network

I would start with VII or X like the others said ...

The ones that are pretty universally loved are 4,6 and 7 so those may be good starting points but I also highly recommend 9 with it being my favorite. 14 is also good if you like MMOs but basically as long as you avoid 13 and the nes games there is no bad place to start.

IV, I belive it's available in the wii u virtual console

Edit: it's VI not IV

My personal favorite is IV, the story and characters are so well done.
My first was III though.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

I actually started with FFV. I say start old school so that you'll appreciate the jump to 3D for FFVII. FFIV is a good one to start with. The first 3 games are really reserved for diehard fans of the franchise.