By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Curious About Final Fantasy Franchise. Where to Start?

fatslob-:O said:
SJReiter said:

I don't really mind visuals from that era too much (Ocarina of Time is still one of my favs ever). Which one is action based and which is turn based? I guess I prefer action based, but turn based can be alright, à la Pokémon right?

The remake will feature the action based combat system and the original is turn-based combat but it's a fair bit more complex than Pokemon ... 

Alright. I'm sure I'll think it's cool. Thanks

Around the Network
SJReiter said:

I don't really mind visuals from that era too much (Ocarina of Time is still one of my favs ever). Which one is action based and which is turn based? I guess I prefer action based, but turn based can be alright, à la Pokémon right?

Only real Pokemon-like battle system is X. Its got a similar rock/paper/scissors combat with elemental weaknesses and even has summons that function a bit like Pokemon

StarOcean said:

SJReiter said:

That's exactly right. I recently finished XCX and I'm now really curious about other JRPGs. Is FF 12 only available on PS2 though? If so, that's a bit of a problem...

Unfortunately, yes. However its probably going to get a PS4 remaster in the near future

Well that would be awesome! I'll probably get it if they do release a remaster.

I've been recommended VI, VII, and IX quite a lot. All those are good starting points.

Also, if you are interested in old school JRPGs, you should really consider Chrono Trigger, one of the finest.

Well, I'll probably start with FFVII on the PS Store. After I'll get FFX-X2 HD. If I like them I'll look into some of the others. Thanks everyone.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
I suggest starting with Final Fantasy explorers.

What why? That plays NOTHING like a normal FF game alos he said he has a PS4 and a Wii U.

Own:Nes,Snes,N64,Gamecube,Wii,WiiU,Gameboy Pocket,Gameboy Advance SP,DS,DSi,3DS XL,Sega Genesis,Sega Dreamcast,PS1,PS2,PS3,PSP,PSVita and Xbox 360.

Looking to get: Original Xbox 

A significant portion of my soul died with the first "SMT X FE" footage reveal.

Add me on PSN: afnanthekooltrex 

Check out my YouTube channel:  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzZ6P0251NWOf7WUTsHmw_Q

That's an easy question.

VII by a mile.

Like everyone else said VI,VII and X are your best bets! They can all be acquired on the systems you own. ENJOY!!

Own:Nes,Snes,N64,Gamecube,Wii,WiiU,Gameboy Pocket,Gameboy Advance SP,DS,DSi,3DS XL,Sega Genesis,Sega Dreamcast,PS1,PS2,PS3,PSP,PSVita and Xbox 360.

Looking to get: Original Xbox 

A significant portion of my soul died with the first "SMT X FE" footage reveal.

Add me on PSN: afnanthekooltrex 

Check out my YouTube channel:  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzZ6P0251NWOf7WUTsHmw_Q

kooltrex said:
spurgeonryan said:
I suggest starting with Final Fantasy explorers.

What why? That plays NOTHING like a normal FF game alos he said he has a PS4 and a Wii U.

Pretty sure he was trolling lol. I actually do have a 3DS also though.

Too much FF7 and X, so I will counter with the FF6!!! >: D

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread