By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How Well Does GTA IV Have to do on 360 to be a Success?

FelmanX said:
MrBubbles said:
perhaps then, we should wonder...how much more will sony have to sell, than microsoft, for them them to have "success". if its less or par, i would consider that a fail for them.

Your post lacks logic. If it sells 50/50 despite the 360's higher install base and exclusive DLC, then that's a fail for MS or a win for Sony. The cards are stacked in the 360's favor.

He was pointing out the historical impact GTA has made on PS sales and Sony finances.  If Sony only sells the same amount of games as MS and doesn't get a monstrous hardware boost, they have failed relative to their GTA history.

MS on the other hand, only has to sell a couple of million games to be a success. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

I think the same question should be asked about the PS3 version as well. The PS2 version of San Andreas sold almost 8 times as many copies as the Xbox version. So in my opinion if GTAIV on the PS3 version should sell a lot more copies than the 360 for it not to be considered a failure for the PS3.

I would get the 360 version because Iam an achievement hoser! the reason it killed on ps2 over xbox is 5x the userbase! and most peeps own both consoles they werent gonna buy the game again a year later!

Username2324 said:
I think the questions is how crappy must it do to not be considered a success, though anyone who thinks it won't be a success is living in a fantasy world. It will probably sell close to 1 million on each console in it's first week alone.

Two troll posts and one "I didn't really read the thread" post in less then 5 minutes...

nice job! 

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Sony should use this line in their advertising:

The ONLY version with 100% free online play.

This will be a big hit to MS ad campagin ,cause belive me free online play matters and that's why most of my friends are considering PS3 and not 360.(MGS4 also plays a bit in their decision ;) )

OT:considering the user base of 360 in US and the amount of money that is going to this game by microsoft(50 mil +lot's of advertising),it should sell 2 times more software and outsell PS3 hardware by 80,000 units for 4 weeks.

Honestly MS is relying too much on a FREAKING multiplat game.they could have made a new awsome game with that 50 mil .

Around the Network

MS would like to (realistically) see a 70/30 US, 60/40 Europe split first month. What's really important is that GTA4 swings system sales in MS's favor until the MGS4 launch.

I fell aslong as GTa does not do too bad it will be good, it jus needs to sellas good as the other systems does in april near the end, it will do good tdue to the 50mil MSS has gioven to R* at the year 2007. Most peopel will not care about more game and juist get the PS#, the more stuff wl cost too much with the XBL ost added to the game it ill be too mucj for the Sony fans and GTA fans, they will buty the the PS# no matter what Ms does to coubnter the greatnmess that is the pS3.

Success for whom? Microsoft or Rockstar?

I imagine as long as the game sells over 5 million copies, it will turn a profit for the company, regardless of the console. But if it sells anything under 7-8 million, it will be considered a disappointment based on the sales of GTA3/VC/SA.

As for Microsoft, this is a PS established franchise. If you believe, as I do, that each 360 sold likely means that a PS3 was not, being able to take 1/3 of overall sales should put a chink in Sony's base, but I don't think they'll be happy unless they get over 40, maybe 50%.If they can hit 2/3, they'll be dancing in the streets, and Sony reps will be walking ledges.

Man said:
Do you guys really think the fact the game series started on the ps will mean more ps sales? What does recognition of where the franchise began have to do with it?

Ignoring the people that only own 1 of the ps3/360 combination(as theyll buy for whatever console they have), most people will see the advertising saying on 360 and ps3, and then choose which console to buy most likely based on the other games on the system.

No ones gonna think, oh the playstation is where gta started, ill buy that. Theyll think, oh the ps3 has final fantasy and gran turismo coming out as well as gta, so ill get that.

The dlc might also impact, but i seriously doubt a single person will pick up gta on ps3 over 360 because the originals were on the ps.... that to me is a completely stupid thing to do and it makes no logical sense.

The only time the series recognition on playstation might cause someone to buy the ps3 over 360 is if they dont happen to realise its multiplatform. Then theyre more likely to associate gta with playstation, and assume its only coming for ps3 or a timed exclusive for ps3. But i think with microsofts advertising, thats not gonna happen too much.

I think people like to stick with what they know. Obviously, present 360 and present PS3 owners will buy the game for the system they already have. The battle will be over the 80 million or so PS2 owners who have not yet bought a next gen console. By and large, these are "traditional-casual" gamers (as opposed to the new-Wii-casuals), and they often don't do their homework. If they want to play GTA4, and know it s available on PS3, they may not even bother to consider the 360, let alone be aware of the exclusive content. Thus MS has to hope that they advertise enough to get through to the thickest PS2 owners, and that the PS3's price tag is still high enough to keep those gamers at least on he sidelines, if not in the 360s corner.

misterd said:
Success for whom? Microsoft or Rockstar?

I imagine as long as the game sells over 5 million copies, it will turn a profit for the company, regardless of the console. But if it sells anything under 7-8 million, it will be considered a disappointment based on the sales of GTA3/VC/SA.

As for Microsoft, this is a PS established franchise. If you believe, as I do, that each 360 sold likely means that a PS3 was not, being able to take 1/3 of overall sales should put a chink in Sony's base, but I don't think they'll be happy unless they get over 40, maybe 50%.If they can hit 2/3, they'll be dancing in the streets, and Sony reps will be walking ledges.

The game will turn the profit for much less then 5mil sold, the game is already in the profit form the 50mil MS game to R*.  The game does not cost alot to make,. it looks very band and i imagine it costs cheap to make.