By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How Well Does GTA IV Have to do on 360 to be a Success?

regin2005 said:

I thought of that as well and really should not have added that in first place. I really couldn't think of any CONs for the 360 except the HW really.

The HW reliability (which may be practically solved but will probably stick to 360's image for some time), and the unknown factor of whether Europeans will jump on the 360 bandwagon with the new price cuts (both in the coming weeks and after GTA4 launches).

I'd be really surprised if the 360 doesn't win the GTA4 race in USA though. Japan is almost irrelevant for this game, so in the end it should boil down to the 360 winning (or losing by a small margin) in Europe.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

I think the questions is how crappy must it do to not be considered a success, though anyone who thinks it won't be a success is living in a fantasy world. It will probably sell close to 1 million on each console in it's first week alone.

gebx said:
MS success would not be measured by the software alone.

It would be based mostly on an increase in hardware for the 360 and it would have to be much higher then the PS3's

why?

Well because MS spent $50 million on extra content, so if the PS3 gets a bigger boost in console without spending a dime then MS will look like even bigger ass's.
Fixed.

regin2005 said:
NJ5 said:
regin2005 said:
Both sides (PS3 / 360) have advantages and disadvantages that could even out the amount of sales for each consoles.

360 PROs - bigger userbase, most affordable console, and DL content
PS3 PROs - bigger FANbase, franchise is more well-known on a PS console

360 CONs - PAYED to have content in first place, HW unreliable
PS3 CONs - console less affordable, no DL content, and smaller userbase

If there is anything else or if I'm wrong then please add!

^ I don't see how the part I bolded will have any impact in sales.

I thought of that as well and really should not have added that in first place. I really couldn't think of any CONs for the 360 except the HW really.

I foresee disc scratching in 360s GTA4's future.

regin2005 said:
Both sides (PS3 / 360) have advantages and disadvantages that could even out the amount of sales for each consoles.

360 PROs - bigger userbase, most affordable console, and DL content
PS3 PROs - bigger FANbase, franchise is more well-known on a PS console

360 CONs - PAYED to have content in first place, HW unreliable
PS3 CONs - console less affordable, no DL content, and smaller userbase

If there is anything else or if I'm wrong then please add!

360 CON: You have to pay for online with the 360.

I think both versions will be great, but the am curious how "PAY FOR LIVE NOW, PAY FOR D/L LATER" will compare with "JUST BUY THE PS3 GAME" and online costs nothing.

For an existing LIVE subscriber, there is no question which version is worth more; for a new purchaser, it's not so easy a choice...

Around the Network

They'd have to make enough money to warrant them spending 50 Mil on the DLC

MrBubbles said:
perhaps then, we should wonder...how much more will sony have to sell, than microsoft, for them them to have "success". if its less or par, i would consider that a fail for them.

Your post lacks logic. If it sells 50/50 despite the 360's higher install base and exclusive DLC, then that's a fail for MS or a win for Sony. The cards are stacked in the 360's favor.

Do you guys really think the fact the game series started on the ps will mean more ps sales? What does recognition of where the franchise began have to do with it?

Ignoring the people that only own 1 of the ps3/360 combination(as theyll buy for whatever console they have), most people will see the advertising saying on 360 and ps3, and then choose which console to buy most likely based on the other games on the system.

No ones gonna think, oh the playstation is where gta started, ill buy that. Theyll think, oh the ps3 has final fantasy and gran turismo coming out as well as gta, so ill get that.

The dlc might also impact, but i seriously doubt a single person will pick up gta on ps3 over 360 because the originals were on the ps.... that to me is a completely stupid thing to do and it makes no logical sense.

The only time the series recognition on playstation might cause someone to buy the ps3 over 360 is if they dont happen to realise its multiplatform. Then theyre more likely to associate gta with playstation, and assume its only coming for ps3 or a timed exclusive for ps3. But i think with microsofts advertising, thats not gonna happen too much.

thekitchensink said:
Double what it sells on PS3 to be the success that Microsoft wants it to be. Only selling 'on par' with the PS3 version despite having sold 7 million more units and having the extra $50 million spent on it would be horrible for MS.

I thought most of the $50 million was only a loan?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

i think the 360 version will sell more, but it would be a succes if it sell as much as ps3 version