By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How Well Does GTA IV Have to do on 360 to be a Success?

Nobody seems to remember that Microsoft didn't PAY $50 million for the DLC... they gave a LOAN of $50 million for the DLC.

Around the Network

@ misterd
I agree, but i just think microsoft will push so mush advertising about the dlc that everyone will know its on the 360 aswell, and has more content. But i may be wrong.

@Deviation
Really?
I did not know that. If thats the case, and rockstar have to pay the $50m back, then microsoft basically got dlc for free. They can easily afford a $50m loan, and it may pay off big time.

Can anyone else confirm it was just a loan?

Man said:
@ misterd
I agree, but i just think microsoft will push so mush advertising about the dlc that everyone will know its on the 360 aswell, and has more content. But i may be wrong.

@Deviation
Really?
I did not know that. If thats the case, and rockstar have to pay the $50m back, then microsoft basically got dlc for free. They can easily afford a $50m loan, and it may pay off big time.

Can anyone else confirm it was just a loan?

Not just. Rockstar get money for each download. Lets say 10$ (I don't know, since the prices are not there yet). MS does not get (much) money for the download, but ms cash it in (since you  buy over live). So if 10$ is correct, MS prepaid 5 Million downloads, with a money back options if it does not hit 5 Million. But they wouldn't enforce it if Take Two will stay independent: You won't piss the GTA maker off, so it is more like a financial trick. T2 needed cash (for the "flow") since banks won't give them more. MS needed a "no loss". This way MS can write the loss of later :)

I heard it was a loan. To a company in as much crap as Take Two, financing can be very hard to get. Especially knowing (long before we ever did) that GTA, their biggest cash cow was going to be delayed, they may have needed to give up a lot of ground to MS for that loan.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

gebx said:
Username2324 said:
I think the questions is how crappy must it do to not be considered a success, though anyone who thinks it won't be a success is living in a fantasy world. It will probably sell close to 1 million on each console in it's first week alone.

Two troll posts and one "I didn't really read the thread" post in less then 5 minutes...

nice job!

What's your post have to do with the OT, hmm? Seems to me like you're trolling me.

Around the Network
Username2324 said:
gebx said:
Username2324 said:
I think the questions is how crappy must it do to not be considered a success, though anyone who thinks it won't be a success is living in a fantasy world. It will probably sell close to 1 million on each console in it's first week alone.

Two troll posts and one "I didn't really read the thread" post in less then 5 minutes...

nice job!

What's your post have to do with the OT, hmm? Seems to me like you're trolling me.

He's got three troll posts now Gebx;)

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I think if the 360 version sells below 3 million units it's a disappointment to the creators.

I think, given the GTA brand and sales of previous games anything below 7 million on PS3 & 360 combined would be failure in the views of the creators and GTA fans. For 360 version to be successor then its what Lafiel said.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions
Legend11 said:
I think the same question should be asked about the PS3 version as well. The PS2 version of San Andreas sold almost 8 times as many copies as the Xbox version. So in my opinion if GTAIV on the PS3 version doesn't sell at least 3-4 times at many copies as on the 360 then it's a major failure for the PS3.

LOL Ur on crack right? rolf

Quote --->  about X360, MS made a BIG anti-piracy system, it is called 3RLs, or RRoD. I know a bunch of ppl afraid to open a X360 and void warrant because they will need it... 

It was a kind of loan. MS did give 50m upfront for the extra DLC the way I understand it though is that when it comes to selling the DLC ms will keep the money from it. So Rockstar gets a 50m no risk while ms gets the chance of making that back. Thats how I understood it that might not be the case but I know that they didnt puy 50m without some puy back. As for all the free online thing that is suppose to sway buyers wouldnt that be true for call of duty 4 yet the 360 version is outselling it by loads and if it wasnt for the japan numbers for DMC4 the 360 version would have outsold the ps3 so brand recagnation doesnt seem to play a huge roll. Ofcourse Im not saying those points people have talked about wont play some part in the sales because I think they will just not as much as people might beleive.