By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lair Overhyped by VGChartz Members???

Who cares, as long as it will be a good EPIC1up game. :) Lair is GOOD, but those other games are better. NGS is awesome too. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

To me that poll just shows the reasoning behind sequals to established franchises. Every game there other than Lair and The Eye of Judgmenet(never heard of it), are all big franchises. So their naturally going to have a lot of premade hype. New franchises tend to do most of their shining once their out. Not to say that Lair will be amazing. To me it just seems like Rouge Squadron with dragons (which is still pretty cool), but it should be a very strong game that will rack up relatively high sales for a PS3 title and will move some units.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

diegomoroco777 said:
Blue Dragon won´t sell that much. It is not a FF type of game, more like a DQ game. FF sells very well in USA and Europe, DQ sells decently I would say 500k tops.

I don't understand this argument one bit. The FF game that put the series on the map in the United States and Europe was done in a similar art style to Blue Dragon.

Since Blue Dragon is created by the troika who created FF, I see no reason why this game would not be popular outside of Japan. Sakaguchi has zero ties to the DQ franchise, so these comparisons have even less basis. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocket pig: Bzzzzt wrong! Toriyama was never the same art style as Yoshitaka Amano, nor the other designer whom I forgot the name. They're not even close! And no, Blue Dragon is not made by the troika that "created" FF, as that would include Amano (the character designer). Now, the dev team behind the successful DQ8 was Level 5, again nothing to do with Blue Dragon.

Yes.

Around the Network
diegomoroco777 said:
Blue Dragon won´t sell that much. It is not a FF type of game, more like a DQ game. FF sells very well in USA and Europe, DQ sells decently I would say 500k tops. Bioshock, 1 million tops. Lair, probably as much as Resistance, or maybe a bit less. A million seller but not a system seller My opinion on Top 10 for 360/PS3 Halo 3 GTA IV ( Maybe 2 systems, but that has an enormous appeal on casulas, but the price points of the consoles isn´t for casuals yet) Assasins Creed ( Sounds revolutionary, and is in both consoles) Mass Effect ( A perfect appeal for 360 owners, 2 million at least) Bioshock/Uncharted/R&C/Heav.Sword/Lair ( probably between 500k and 1 million)

I don't think Blue Dragon will do as well as Final Fantasy however, it will possibly draw in the RPG following as the same man created FF. In addition some of the anime following may be dragged in due to the artists and some of the FF following for 1 it's creator and 2 the same composer.

Ah yes, they used a different artist for BD. Forgot about that. I never said the art styles were the same, only similar. BD and FFVII had a more traditional anime look to them while the later FFs (8 and beyond) are more realistic in their look.

So, in short, I was wrong about the art director. But the director and the composer are both from the FF series. My argument still holds though, BD will be much more FF than it will be DQ.

rocketpig said:
diegomoroco777 said:
Blue Dragon won´t sell that much. It is not a FF type of game, more like a DQ game. FF sells very well in USA and Europe, DQ sells decently I would say 500k tops.

I don't understand this argument one bit. The FF game that put the series on the map in the United States and Europe was done in a similar art style to Blue Dragon.

Since Blue Dragon is created by the troika who created FF, I see no reason why this game would not be popular outside of Japan. Sakaguchi has zero ties to the DQ franchise, so these comparisons have even less basis.

The reason being that it isnt a franchise. The average gamer doesnt know about it nor do they know about Lair. Hell I am a gamer that scoures several gaming sites and I never knew about them until yesterday reading the forums here. It really has nothing to do with the "type" of game imho, it has to do with the fact that they are not really advertised through major media during prime times. No radio, major newpaper articles, or prime time tv ad's thus the average joe will never hear of them. However, FF is practically a household name in some countries. If you see a new one, you know what you are getting and that the quality will be at least ok. If joe shmo sees Blue Dragon he will probably think nothing of it because it is an unknown. Now... if the game is really good and gains attention with gamers after its release, that might change things but that kind of thinking in todays world of gaming is unwise... most of the time, regardless of a games budget and hype, you will be dissapointed. Id say we will not know anything until we finally see it.

marc said:

The reason being that it isnt a franchise. The average gamer doesnt know about it nor do they know about Lair. Hell I am a gamer that scoures several gaming sites and I never knew about them until yesterday reading the forums here. It really has nothing to do with the "type" of game imho, it has to do with the fact that they are not really advertised through major media during prime times. No radio, major newpaper articles, or prime time tv ad's thus the average joe will never hear of them. However, FF is practically a household name in some countries. If you see a new one, you know what you are getting and that the quality will be at least ok. If joe shmo sees Blue Dragon he will probably think nothing of it because it is an unknown. Now... if the game is really good and gains attention with gamers after its release, that might change things but that kind of thinking in todays world of gaming is unwise... most of the time, regardless of a games budget and hype, you will be dissapointed. Id say we will not know anything until we finally see it.

BD does have that new IP thing going against it. But I expect to see plenty of commercials for it before it launches. I think MS is going to really try to pimp this game since the genre it represents is so important to the console.

Only time will tell if it works or not. Personally, I think the game will sell around 1.5m copies in the US, if not more.

I think there are quite a few other games that could be added to the overhyped on video game forums list. I have to say God of War is the overhyped game that bugs me the most. Reading reviews of it and listening to Sony fanboys it's God's gift to gamers, one of the greatest series of all time, etc etc etc, and yet GoW1&2&3&PSP combined will likely fall in the range of Halo alone in sales. Sales-wise (I don't care about how great the game is or isn't since that's different for everyone) I think Lair, Heavenly Sword, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Bioshock and the rest will also fail to light up the charts. They'll do alright, but they'll be more Lost Planet/Crackdown (if that) and less Gears of War/Halo.