By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lair Overhyped by VGChartz Members???

This thread was quite a laugh, I admit.

I still think Lair will probably sell 500,000 units over the course of its lifetime. But in terms of a 30million US game, that's a huge financial loss. I wonder whether Sony might attempt to get out of its remaining contract with Factor Five and stop production on their next game after all is said and done.

Around the Network
albionus said:

As for ckmlb, wow, he's 0 for 3 on calling games (the record being negative on RE4:WE and Bioshock, positive on Lair).

I hate to kick someone when they're down, but in response to my first post on this site, ckmlb said "I bet you Project Sylpheed will be a decent game and will sell decent."

Project Sylpheed sold 14,500 in three weeks before dropping off the US charts and has a Metascore of 63.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

i thought the game was around 25 mill total of everything hopefully it will sell 1million and have sequel!!!!

sinha said:
albionus said:

As for ckmlb, wow, he's 0 for 3 on calling games (the record being negative on RE4:WE and Bioshock, positive on Lair).

I hate to kick someone when they're down, but in response to my first post on this site, ckmlb said "I bet you Project Sylpheed will be a decent game and will sell decent."

Project Sylpheed sold 14,500 in three weeks before dropping off the US charts and has a Metascore of 63.

Ahh, 0 for 4 then.  What happened to Piritakio?  His comment is another gem,  

lair is a great game.
i will buy it.
and you delusional fanboys anti-sony are a little weird......

Too bad he hasn't posted since June, I'm interested in if he is still buying it.

Alb let me know what you honestly think of the game when you finish it. I know it has gotten some really bad reviews and all but a fair and honest review from someone on this site who is looking forward to the game is probably far more trustworthy than any gaming site I could visit.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

Lair was overhyped by a lot of people. A LOT. Not neccessarily on the VGchartz forums, but lots of other forums.

Just kiss the tip.

Arkk said:
Lair was overhyped by a lot of people. A LOT. Not neccessarily on the VGchartz forums, but lots of other forums.

I think it's because, one, it's Factor 5. They made, arguably, one of the most beautiful games for the Gamecube at launch. Two, it's dragons. The few dragon games that have come out have been quite phenomenal (see Panzer Dragoon). And, I think that's what I was hoping it would be like. Can't really blame anyone for hyping this game. The trailers, the music ... all top notch stuff.

Well, I stand by my comments. First of all, Lair was only "hyped" because people are legitimately excited about riding a dragon and fighting hordes of enemies. If you aren't, then I guess you don't understand.  Oh, and it looks really good and seems to have a good tone for the story.  I'm still going to rent it because I find a lot of people don't like Six-axis controls when it works for me, but obviously I am very disappointed with the review scores being low.

Anyway, judging whether a game was overhyped or not has nothing to do with sales. I understand this website is a sales counter but imo you judge a game based on review scores. Bioshock was clearly not overhyped.

Btw, Blue Dragon did turn out to be like ckmlb and others predicted. It is equal to the PSP RPG Brave Story: New Traveler in that it is a mediocre RPG that receives decent rankings because it is the best option on the platform.

Blue Dragon is averaging 77, and Brave Story is averging 79. Decent RPGS. Btw, Eternal Sonata is much the same at 78 average so far. (scores from gamerankings.com because metacritic doesn't take a true average and I refuse to read their explanation considering its a simple thing to just average scores).

I hope Folklore receives better reviews because the demo has me excited (as did the Japanese demo, but it's better being able to understand the story as well).