By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo NX Handheld to Release in 2016 According to IHS Inc - A US Research Firm

spurgeonryan said:
And all is now right in the world. Wii U gets another year of life!

There aren't going to be any games to play on the thing in 2017 and it's going to sell at 32X levels. I can't imagine that being a good thing.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
spurgeonryan said:
And all is now right in the world. Wii U gets another year of life!

There aren't going to be any games to play on the thing in 2017 and it's going to sell at 32X levels. I can't imagine that being a good thing.

It will have another year of "life"...

"life"...

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

RolStoppable said:
zorg1000 said:

What makes you think the handheld & console won't have nearly identical controller configurations? We have already seen Nintendo start to make then nearly identical with New 3DS & Wii U. 2 control pads, D-Pad, 4 face buttons, 4 shoulder buttons, start/select/home, touch screen, gyroscope, accelerometer, NFC compatible. I don't see any reason why Nintendo would backtrack and create devices with completely separate control inputs.

Because it would be lame and make the home console look like another Nintendo console that wants to be a PlayStation.

It makes sense to have the control inputs you mentioned on a handheld because the controls are on the device itself, but a home console has the benefit of being able to feature more than one controller, so a standard controller that instantly differentiates Nintendo from Sony and Microsoft would be welcome. And no, the Gamepad didn't perform such a job.

I'm not advocating for a PS/XB controller, just that I see no need for the next handheld & console to have vastly different input methods.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

If this is true, the console better come out early 2017. The Wii U is effectively dead after Zelda comes out, and that's really bad for momentum if they allow that situation to sustain itself.

RolStoppable said:

As for the "home console games don't work on handhelds" conventional wisdom, I don't believe it to be true. What we do know is that it didn't work for Nintendo's competitors, but on the other hand, Nintendo's own games have resulted in several multimillion sellers up to this point. I think the correct interpretation is that competitors' games have, quite frankly, sucked. More specifically, all too often did we have to deal with style-over-substance games which is the opposite of Nintendo's general approach to software development. Once the style is removed due to being played on weaker hardware or by virtue of a much smaller screen size, competitors' games didn't have anything left going for them.

Perhaps this is true: I moderated my earlier statements because I had the Ocarina port in particular in mind, for example. That said, I still have to question whether that's enough to carry a console, as opposed to simply moving software units when that's a side dish instead of the main course. The Home Console Lite games remain a distinct minority on Nintendo handhelds, and while things may have changed over time, and correlation is not causation, I still can't help but recall that Nintendo has historically crafted its handheld titles and its home console titles somewhat differently, its competitors haven't, and Nintendo has succeeded where others have failed.

Regarding the excluded portions on your post, my concern isn't actually for the graphics output per se, it's for the feasibility of attracting games. I'm not as blase yet about cutting out the entirety of the Western developers, especially because there appear to be fewer and fewer Japanese developers actually releasing games in a timely manner, and many of those that remain appear more dependent on first-party assistance than their Western counterparts. If Nintendo adopts this approach, I don't think it's hard to envision a scenario where they must effectively fund or subsidize a large chunk of the content for their system(s). I concede that approach isn't inevitable, but it's not far-fetched either. And if that happens, then from a business perspective what was the point?

You said Japanese developers came around on the 3DS in Japan, but leaving aside how that system has performed indifferently outside of Japan have developers really come around? Atlus has shown up to play for certain, but Capcom allegedly needed a lot of incentive to bring and keep Monster Hunter around, and after launch their offerings have dried up. Ace Attorney got made, but Resident Evil went AWOL to the point where Revelations 2 is skipping the system entirely, and other than some Lost Planet spinoff I can't think of anything else Capcom has made for the system. Konami never really appeared, every Tecmo game apparently needed Nintendo assistance, Square Enix has reduced its production since last generation, Namco made almost nothing but low budget and licensed games until Smash Bros, and non-Atlus Sega has been tepid at best. Before Yokai Watch even Level 5 announced that some its flagship titles would be skipping the 3DS for mobile.

I mean, it's not bad support by any stretch, but the system seems to be Nintendo doing most of the heavy lifting, with some of the other heavy hitters needing incentive to get on board. In light of what happened with the Wii last generation, I'm not so sure that waiting for third parties to eventually come around will be as fruitful as it theoretically should be.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
noname2200 said:

Perhaps this is true: I moderated my earlier statements because I had the Ocarina port in particular in mind, for example. That said, I still have to question whether that's enough to carry a console, as opposed to simply moving software units when that's a side dish instead of the main course. The Home Console Lite games remain a distinct minority on Nintendo handhelds, and while things may have changed over time, and correlation is not causation, I still can't help but recall that Nintendo has historically crafted its handheld titles and its home console titles somewhat differently, its competitors haven't, and Nintendo has succeeded where others have failed.

Regarding the excluded portions on your post, my concern isn't actually for the graphics output per se, it's for the feasibility of attracting games. I'm not as blase yet about cutting out the entirety of the Western developers, especially because there appear to be fewer and fewer Japanese developers actually releasing games in a timely manner, and many of those that remain appear more dependent on first-party assistance than their Western counterparts. If Nintendo adopts this approach, I don't think it's hard to envision a scenario where they must effectively fund or subsidize a large chunk of the content for their system(s). I concede that approach isn't inevitable, but it's not far-fetched either. And if that happens, then from a business perspective what was the point?

You said Japanese developers came around on the 3DS in Japan, but leaving aside how that system has performed indifferently outside of Japan have developers really come around? Atlus has shown up to play for certain, but Capcom allegedly needed a lot of incentive to bring and keep Monster Hunter around, and after launch their offerings have dried up. Ace Attorney got made, but Resident Evil went AWOL to the point where Revelations 2 is skipping the system entirely, and other than some Lost Planet spinoff I can't think of anything else Capcom has made for the system. Konami never really appeared, every Tecmo game apparently needed Nintendo assistance, Square Enix has reduced its production since last generation, Namco made almost nothing but low budget and licensed games until Smash Bros, and non-Atlus Sega has been tepid at best. Before Yokai Watch even Level 5 announced that some its flagship titles would be skipping the 3DS for mobile.

I mean, it's not bad support by any stretch, but the system seems to be Nintendo doing most of the heavy lifting, with some of the other heavy hitters needing incentive to get on board. In light of what happened with the Wii last generation, I'm not so sure that waiting for third parties to eventually come around will be as fruitful as it theoretically should be.

Think about what has worked on handhelds already: Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., Super Mario Bros., Pokémon, Animal Crossing. I didn't include 3D Mario because that can be bigger in scale than Super Mario 3D Land. But that's still at least five big IPs that work very well on a handheld without being significantly different to a home console release.

As for third parties, regardless of what Nintendo does, it will be very difficult to get a significant amount of support. I think we can agree on that. But that's where the whole shared library thing comes in. If first party software arrives in more regular intervalls (up till now it has been see-sawing for home console and handheld as Nintendo had to focus on one over the other every time), then third party support or the lack thereof doesn't have that much of an impact on hardware momentum anymore.

Between all the possible options for Nintendo, a more unified approach to software is the best thing they can do. It gives increased weight to the factors that are under Nintendo's direct control. And yes, you are right about the Wii, but consider how it would have played out if Nintendo hadn't had to supply their handhelds with completely different software. Certainly better, because the Wii would have gotten more quality games on a more regular basis.

I'd point out that Animal Crossing and Pokemon shine much more brightly on handhelds than consoles. AC in particular has question marks regarding whether a mainline entry would return to home consoles again. Smash and Kart are good counterpoints, though.

Regarding the second point, I agree that a more even release schedule would have to be the purpose if the handheld and home console are largely identical, and the benefit from that may outweigh the advantages. My fear is that, by having to make games that satisfy both audiences, they'll be making compromises that don't let them take full advantage of either system. Again, perhaps the two audiences are no longer separate and distinct, in which case this fear is groundless. I'm just not sure there's enough data to support that assertion yet.

You may ultimately be right that this is the best course of action: heavens knows they'll effectively have to go it alone on the home console front barring some miraculous turnabout. I just read the tea leaves a bit differently, in that I believe the two systems will largely share many of the same aspects and tools, thus allowing teams to seamlessly pivot from title to title without having to relearn tricks. Basically, a code monkey making a portable title can get moved to a home console title without making any real changes. But I fully concede I could be mistaken: I haven't really sunk my teeth into NX stuff yet, so who knows.

Edwardooo said:
If that's the case (which I don't believe at all), what games will the Wii U have for its last holiday, except Zelda ?

Let's see if Zelda will arrive in 2016. Paper Mario is rumored to be in development. Maybe they have one or 2 small scale games in development.

spemanig said:
If this is true, the console better come out early 2017. The Wii U is effectively dead after Zelda comes out, and that's really bad for momentum if they allow that situation to sustain itself.

But wouldn't pushing the NX handheld be what they would be doing? If they effectively remove themselves from the Wii brand, cutting back supporting the Wii U and heavily pushing the NX handheld seems like it would be the more logical direction of 2017 till home console NX releases.

That said, look at the leaked list of things that have been questioned as coming to Wii U. Pikmin 4, Paper Mario... It definitely comes off as a games more suited to tide over fans till a new console. I still believe (if NX comes Nov 2017) that there will be at least one more Wii U game, but NX is going to be on everyones minds (and probably have a Pokemon and a Mario) for 2017.

Thunderbird77 said:

1. Not "NX handheld", it's 3ds successor.

2. Not a rumor, it's just what they think.

http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2016/01/nintendo-nx-targets-2016-launch-with-standalone-portable-game-system/?

Edwardooo said:
If that's the case (which I don't believe at all), what games will the Wii U have for its last holiday, except Zelda ?

Maybe Pikmin 4.