By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo NX Handheld to Release in 2016 According to IHS Inc - A US Research Firm

If they're not going the hybrid platform route then this makes sense.

Launching 2 separate systems at the same time would be a mess, especially If they have ambitions for the home console beyond receiving handheld and Wii U ports. They'd need time to provide it with its own launch line up and software. Launching it a year later would also allow better hardware, something I personally care about and think will secure it a better future

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
zorg1000 said:
WoodenPints said:
Weather it comes out in 2016 or 2017 I would really like to see a release of both handheld and console at the same time. Seems daft to be unifying there handheld and console then splitting there release up, Makes it seem somewhat non-unified.

I agree. Same Day. Same Games. Same Price. Your Choice.

Same day means neither system will sell as much up front, as few people will have enough cash to buy two expensive bits of hardware at once. Same games means there's little incentive for the majority to ever buy both systems. Same price means a horribly expensive handheld or a really underpowered home console.

This is pure speculation, since exactly zero about the NX has been confirmed yet, but the "unified" part appears likely to me to be referring less to hardware specs and more about the operating software. If that's the case, it would be unnecessary to release both systems at once.

Same day means people who prefer handhelds can get the handheld and people who prefer consoles can get the console.

Same games means all of Nintendo's resources are going to a single, unified platform rather than being split among two platforms.

Same price means consumers can choose based on preference instead of based on finances.

With a unified setup Nintendo doesn't really NEED anybody to buy both sets of hardware, it's simply about getting as many people into the Nintendo ecosystem as possible. They may lose out on double-dippers but that risk is offset by the potential to attract people who previously did not own any Nintendo device. For example, let's say someone is interested in 6 3DS games but they aren't willing to buy a 3DS just for 6 games, let's say they are also interested in 6 Wii U games but again that's not enough for them to buy a Wii U, but would that person be more likely to buy a single device if it had all 12 of those games? I think so.

It's feasible to release a $199 handheld that can display Wii U level visuals at a lower resolution with a $199 console variant of that with the CPU/GPU running at higher clock rates and having 2x the RAM which allows the games to be displayed in a higher resolution/frame rate and some other minor perks. It's basically the difference between N64 vs N64+RAM pak or GC vs Wii or 3DS vs New 3DS. Being powerful really isn't a huge deal for Nintendo hardware, it's more about offering an affordable device that has a constant stream of fun & unique games, as long as the devices run modern engines like Unity & Unreal 4 than its really not that huge of a concern.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Pavolink said

You said well: delayed games. Zelda, 2015 delayed games. SF, 2015 delayed game. SMTxFE, late localization of a 2013 announced game. Pokken, Arcade port. TPHD, remaster. Don't fool yourself calling this "support".

And there's zero bussiness sense to wait until 2017 if you are taking in count PS4 in the equation, as 2017 will be a worse year than 2016 with a higher installbase.

The PS4 install base will only ever increase and ultimately has nothing to do with the success of Nintendo's next platform. Its not the size of the installbase thats important but about the markets apetite for new hardware. Someone who has only had a PS4 for a year is less likely to invest in a new game console, versus someone who has had a PS4 for several years. The later Nintendo releases, the more people there are that fit into the latter category and the more chance of people considering their hardware; Regardless of whats on offer.

The only thing that signals an earlier release date as better is them wanting to get thier revenue up sooner rather then later

teigaga said:
Pavolink said

You said well: delayed games. Zelda, 2015 delayed games. SF, 2015 delayed game. SMTxFE, late localization of a 2013 announced game. Pokken, Arcade port. TPHD, remaster. Don't fool yourself calling this "support".

And there's zero bussiness sense to wait until 2017 if you are taking in count PS4 in the equation, as 2017 will be a worse year than 2016 with a higher installbase.

The PS4 install base will only ever increase and ultimately has nothing to do with the success of Nintendo's next platform. Its not the size of the installbase thats important but about the markets apetite for new hardware. Someone who has only had a PS4 for a year is less likely to invest in a new game console, versus someone who has had a PS4 for several years. The later Nintendo releases, the more people there are that fit into the latter category and the more chance of people considering their hardware; Regardless of whats on offer.

The only thing that signals an earlier release date as better is them wanting to get thier revenue up sooner rather then later

This is assuming that Nintendo's plan is to steal PS4/XB1 owners, which likely is not their strategy.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Zorg should get a upvote or medal for those replys.
I completely agree with everything hes said so far in this thread.

What the NX needs to be : "Same Day (release for HH &console). Same Games. Same Price. Your Choice." - Zorg.

When the NX needs to launch : "2016" - me & others.

I actually think you could market that rather well.

"same day, same games, same price, your choice".

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
teigaga said:

This is assuming that Nintendo's plan is to steal PS4/XB1 owners, which likely is not their strategy.

I think they will want to try and chip off some of the X1/PS4 consoles userbase but more so I actually think their plan with the NX could well be to stop their current userbase buying X1/PS4 for the third party games and stick purely to Nintendo, Thats why I think Nintendo will value third party support so much this time around. If Nintendo fans don't have to buy a seconds console for the third party titles but rather just get them on the NX it also opens up more profit for Nintendo from the platform fee of third party sales as well as stopping any potential droughts.

teigaga said:
Pavolink said

Or risk your entire strategy when you realize that those people will not be starved for new hardware as the userbase grows, and with it, the support. "Why would I need to buy a new console now when this one is getting even more support?"

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

WoodenPints said:
Weather it comes out in 2016 or 2017 I would really like to see a release of both handheld and console at the same time. Seems daft to be unifying there handheld and console then splitting there release up, Makes it seem somewhat non-unified.

Dividing the launches (by few a - 6 mos....NOT 1 yr) would be better for Nintendo, to maximize sales, presence, and relevance in the market..  It makes for a better flow of business, and to keep NX buzzing in the headlines.  Now all of a sudden, Nintendo will look healthy in the public eye and perception of the company will improve.  I will stress that if the NX indeed shares a library, that launches should be within several months and no longer.  Nintendo just needs to decide which form will come first, and which will perform better as a non-holiday launch.

My initial prediction was a handheld 2017 release, but I wouldn't be surprised either way anymore

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Hmmmmm if this is true, and the new influx of rumours seems to be pointing out so, then Nintendo needs to release a new Direct soon to announce some games for Wii U, because this year rather barren with the exception of 2 or 3 games.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1