By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Gaming Sales breaks records in 2015! PC digital sales outpace mobile, Digital sales on consoles saw the greatest year-over-year and more!

Tagged games:

Did you spend more on digital gaming than physical gaming?

I spent more on Digital gaming 21 34.43%

I spent more on physical gaming 40 65.57%

Total:61
Conina said:
Lawlight said:
So, which brought in more revenue? Mobile or PC?

Teeqoz said:
So what is the digital market on console worth now?

Both answers can be found in the superdata source: https://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/us-digital-games-market/

"The largest category in terms of dollar sales was mobile, earning $25.8 billion" and "Sales of digital console games showed the biggest jump and were up 34%, despite being one of the smaller categories at $4B annually."

So mobile revenue > PC revenue >>> console revenue (without retail sales).

Yeah, but as I said, when I tried to open up anything under the Superdata domain (not only that link, I googled and tried to access their homepage), it just told me the website wasn't available. It works now though, so I dunno what was up, but either way, I found the answer in VGC's own article about it.

Around the Network

I'm shocked I expected Halo 5 to be on that list. With that 90% digital attach rate.

WoodenPints said:

I agree I'd rather not pay £50 per game where as now with physical with resale it costs me like £5 a game, Such a big difference.

That's a gross mirepresentation of the digital market.

Ruler said:

The Value is not the same

Of course it is.

Conina said:
Lawlight said:

Teeqoz said:

Both answers can be found in the superdata source: https://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/us-digital-games-market/

"The largest category in terms of dollar sales was mobile, earning $25.8 billion" and "Sales of digital console games showed the biggest jump and were up 34%, despite being one of the smaller categories at $4B annually."

I kinda don't understand that article, given that it ending paragraph states:

“PC-based gaming—consisting of free-to-play MMOs, subscription-based games like World of Warcraft, social games and PC downloadable games—earns over $32 billion annually, well above the $25.1 billion generated by mobile games,” the report states.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
Conina said:
Lawlight said:

Teeqoz said:

I kinda don't understand that article, given that it ending paragraph states:

“PC-based gaming—consisting of free-to-play MMOs, subscription-based games like World of Warcraft, social games and PC downloadable games—earns over $32 billion annually, well above the $25.1 billion generated by mobile games,” the report states.

You are right, they only see "mobile" as largest category because they split up PC revenue in different segments/sub-categories. Here is their estimate of May 2015:

$32B (PC) + $25.1B (mobile) + $4B (consoles) = $61.1B total digital revenue. Together with ~20 billion dollar retail revenue, the total revenue should be around 80 billion dollar.

spemanig said:
WoodenPints said:

I agree I'd rather not pay £50 per game where as now with physical with resale it costs me like £5 a game, Such a big difference.

That's a gross mirepresentation of the digital market.

The only thing that matters is the cost in the long run I bought Fallout 4 for £29.99 and got rid of it for £24 6 weeks later so in the end it cost me £6 where as a digital purchase would of cost me £54.99 and be left rotting away as a digital license. Thats a massive difference is the money required to be a gamer.

WoodenPints said:

The only thing that matters is the cost in the long run I bought Fallout 4 for £29.99 and got rid of it for £24 6 weeks later so in the end it cost me £6 where as a digital purchase would of cost me £54.99 and be left rotting away as a digital license. Thats a massive difference is the money required to be a gamer.

I snagged F4 for £26 digitally from GMG during Dec and Steam was selling it for £30 during their Winter sale.

Also snagged XCOM 2 digital deluxe edition for the price of a regular AAA game at £35, at least £5 cheaper than the usual £40 games you'd get physically in your local GAME store here in the UK (On the isle of Man at least).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

darkenergy said:
bananaking21 said:

i guess this is the last nail in the coffin when it comes to the claim that halo performed miracles digitally, and that "50% attatch rate!" nonesense. 

I knew someone is going to bring this up and not surprise by who. Did you also read BasilZero other comment where Microtransaction/DLC also count towards these revenue? It also helps that all of these games are multiplatform and not a single exclusive is on this list.

Yep, for example Fifa15 was released on fall 2014 and it's still above Fifa16. I think it's quite clear that people spend shitload of $$ on Fifa points during January (team of the year cards) and summer (team of the seasons). It's no surprise Halo didn't make it to that top10 list.

NSS7 said:
GTAV still make more on console than PC without physical sales.

Just wow!!! 

And yeah halo 5 digital speculation was overblown to fuck and back.  We need to all accept this reality now.