By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Gaming Sales breaks records in 2015! PC digital sales outpace mobile, Digital sales on consoles saw the greatest year-over-year and more!

Tagged games:

Did you spend more on digital gaming than physical gaming?

I spent more on Digital gaming 21 34.43%

I spent more on physical gaming 40 65.57%

Total:61
Lawlight said:
Conina said:

You are right, they only see "mobile" as largest category because they split up PC revenue in different segments/sub-categories. Here is their estimate of May 2015:

$32B (PC) + $25.1B (mobile) + $4B (consoles) = $61.1B total digital revenue. Together with ~20 billion dollar retail revenue, the total revenue should be around 80 billion dollar.

So, consoles = PC (with Asia) = Mobile more or less.

Not quite, because this doesn't look at the whole market, it just looks at digital game revenues and doesn't include stuff like advertising. 

Assuming we count everything then you're looking at roughly

$25b for Console

$30b for Mobile & Tablet

$35b for PC

And this includes all the sub genre breakdowns. (So MMO and Social come under PC etc...)

Around the Network
ZhugeEX said:
Lawlight said:

So, consoles = PC (with Asia) = Mobile more or less.

Not quite, because this doesn't look at the whole market, it just looks at digital game revenues and doesn't include stuff like advertising. 

$25b for Console

$30b for Mobile & Tablet

$35b for PC

And this includes all the sub genre breakdowns. (So MMO and Social come under PC etc...)

I think it's safe to remove eSports, Social and video content from PC. Those aren't games.

Lawlight said:
ZhugeEX said:

$25b for Console

$30b for Mobile & Tablet

$35b for PC

I think it's safe to remove eSports, Social and video content from PC. Those aren't games.

Social games are games lol. 

ZhugeEX said:
Lawlight said:

I don't see them as such. Traditional games are what matters to me. I'll leave the Facebook games to the kids.

Lawlight said:
ZhugeEX said:

I don't see them as such. Traditional games are what matters to me. I'll leave the Facebook games to the kids.

But they still generate revenue for the games industry. Which is what this discussion is about. 

If you want to talk about just the console industry, or just the mobile industry, then fine. 

But if you want to include the PC industry then you need to account for all sub categories and that includes social gaming. 

Around the Network
ZhugeEX said:
Lawlight said:

But they still generate revenue for the games industry. Which is what this discussion is about. 

If you want to talk about just the console industry, or just the mobile industry, then fine. 

But if you want to include the PC industry then you need to account for all sub categories and that includes social gaming. 

Not revenue that's relevant to us. It doesn't have to be console games but it has to be traditional games. How many threads about Facebook games do you see? Or even about an Asian MMO, etc? 

bananaking21 said:

i guess this is the last nail in the coffin when it comes to the claim that halo performed miracles digitally, and that "50% attatch rate!" nonesense. 

Also clash of clans and league of legends doing that much is just insane... fucking insane. 

so, Halo 5, managed less than 1 Million with Digital Sales, when people thought that  sold 2+ Millions, also, this means that the other console games did not sold more than 1 Million of units, at full price.

Swordmasterman said:
bananaking21 said:

i guess this is the last nail in the coffin when it comes to the claim that halo performed miracles digitally, and that "50% attatch rate!" nonesense. 

Also clash of clans and league of legends doing that much is just insane... fucking insane. 

so, Halo 5, managed less than 1 Million with Digital Sales, when people thought that  sold 2+ Millions, also, this means that the other console games did not sold more than 1 Million of units, at full price.

This is for digital sales. Not retail + digital. 

As much as I support physical gaming and used games (especially for younger kids who can't afford to buy as much at full price), I have primarily bought digital for the last five years. When Xbox started having games on demand relatively close to the physical launch or at the same time it became a no brainer to me. Maybe I will transition back at some point, and there are still times here and there that I buy physical, but for the vast majority I buy my games digital. 

I actually might go back to physical on principle because so many games that I bought are basiacly DRM anyway (Halo 5, Destiny, Titanfall to name a few). I don't know if there is a good way to fight the industry milking consumers with microtransactions and dlc and if there was I would help support change, but for me digitial is just my preference.

Lawlight said:
ZhugeEX said:

You might not see them as games, publishers and people that actually play those games see them as such. FB and other social games are not just Farmville and Candy Crush, there are plenty of, what analysts like to call, mid-core games out there that actually ask for skill and that have a lot of grown up folks spending some quite insane amounts monthly.