By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Gaming Sales breaks records in 2015! PC digital sales outpace mobile, Digital sales on consoles saw the greatest year-over-year and more!

Tagged games:

Did you spend more on digital gaming than physical gaming?

I spent more on Digital gaming 21 34.43%

I spent more on physical gaming 40 65.57%

Total:61

That's good, will also means MS/SOny will become less dependant on retailers. I still believe digital prices on console games are so high because of retailers.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
Teeqoz said:

None of the superdata links works for me though. It doesn't work when I google superdata and go to their home page (page doesn't load) :-3
The VGC article about this said digital console sales grew to 4$ Billion though, so I found my answer.

Hmm strange.

The links load for me but takes a while though.

It just tells me the website isn't available. Oh well.

BasilZero said:
TheSting said:
Those are all 3rd party console sales. Are they counting sales directly from console stores? I didn't read the article yet

Pretty sure its PSN/XBL/Eshop combined -  3rd party titles make up the bulk of profit from digital sales. Specifically due to the Microtransactions/DLC that come with them as well (also the benefit of being Multiplatform).

So MS and Sony are giving out numbers on their digital side? Only to these guys? 

Teeqoz I'm getting the same thing

If gaming becomes digital only i quiet mordern gaming all together

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Ultrashroomz said:
I'm just hoping that consoles don't end up becoming digital only anytime soon, I'd probably lose some interest in gaming if that happens.

You'd probably get over it. The experience is 99% the same.

The Value is not the same

i guess this is the last nail in the coffin when it comes to the claim that halo performed miracles digitally, and that "50% attatch rate!" nonesense. 

Also clash of clans and league of legends doing that much is just insane... fucking insane. 

GTAV still make more on console than PC without physical sales.

bananaking21 said:

i guess this is the last nail in the coffin when it comes to the claim that halo performed miracles digitally, and that "50% attatch rate!" nonesense. 

I knew someone is going to bring this up and not surprise by who. Did you also read BasilZero other comment where Microtransaction/DLC also count towards these revenue? It also helps that all of these games are multiplatform and not a single exclusive is on this list.

Proud to be a Californian.

Lawlight said:
So, which brought in more revenue? Mobile or PC?

Teeqoz said:
So what is the digital market on console worth now?

Both answers can be found in the superdata source: https://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/us-digital-games-market/

"The largest category in terms of dollar sales was mobile, earning $25.8 billion" and "Sales of digital console games showed the biggest jump and were up 34%, despite being one of the smaller categories at $4B annually."

So mobile revenue > PC revenue >>> console revenue (without retail sales).