By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Gaming Sales breaks records in 2015! PC digital sales outpace mobile, Digital sales on consoles saw the greatest year-over-year and more!

Tagged games:

Did you spend more on digital gaming than physical gaming?

I spent more on Digital gaming 21 34.43%

I spent more on physical gaming 40 65.57%

Total:61
zero129 said:
Chazore said:

I snagged F4 for £26 digitally from GMG during Dec and Steam was selling it for £30 during their Winter sale.

Also snagged XCOM 2 digital deluxe edition for the price of a regular AAA game at £35, at least £5 cheaper than the usual £40 games you'd get physically in your local GAME store here in the UK (On the isle of Man at least).

Clearly he knows in almost every case Digital in the end is cheaper. I mean if we are going to be adding in used gaming might as well add in piracy also since both hurt the industry just as much.

How is digital always cheaper in the end?

Around the Network
WoodenPints said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Well that's PC. PC digital prices are actually good. Console digital prices are usually just a rip off.

Yea PC prices are a lot better than console but they still leave you with a "dead games" after you completed them with zero value.

As for console 3 games at £49.99 =£150, I could probably buy 25 games with reselling physical copies before I've actually spent £150, This is the biggest reason I'd be against full on digital.

For me they aren't really dead, any game I 100% I sort on Steam into a "completed" catagory to which I can always look back on and play, I bought Red Alert 3 across all 3 platforms and to this day since 2008 I've been playing it on PC now and then rather than selling it and forgetting it forever or buying it second hand a few times, I would rather own it forever and never have to re-sell it only to buy it back again since that doesn't make logical sense to me. On PC there is no reselling your games anyway, that market more or less died off years ago so we can't really compared the two in such a way when it exists within one market but not the other, digital gaming however exists within both.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

zero129 said:
WoodenPints said:
zero129 said:

Clearly he knows in almost every case Digital in the end is cheaper. I mean if we are going to be adding in used gaming might as well add in piracy also since both hurt the industry just as much.

How is digital always cheaper in the end?

I might of missed your point where you only on about console digital sales?? or PC ones??. In the case of PC Digital is much much cheaper then physical cos the is so many online Digital stores trying to out do each other. However that might not be the case on consoles since they only have one digital store each.

Was speaking about console gaming prices where even 50% or 60% off offers are still generaly more expansive than a new physicall copy of the games.

I do get that in PC gaming the digital purchase is almsot always cheaper than the physical and infact used to be mianly a PC gamer and have spent plently on steam alon gwith some DRM free stuff. Lately though some of the digital prices if you buy through steam have gone sky high basically matching console prices so without g2a etc digital on steam would be a lot more costly.

Chazore said:
WoodenPints said:

Yea PC prices are a lot better than console but they still leave you with a "dead games" after you completed them with zero value.

As for console 3 games at £49.99 =£150, I could probably buy 25 games with reselling physical copies before I've actually spent £150, This is the biggest reason I'd be against full on digital.

For me they aren't really dead, any game I 100% I sort on Steam into a "completed" catagory to which I can always look back on and play, I bought Red Alert 3 across all 3 platforms and to this day since 2008 I've been playing it on PC now and then rather than selling it and forgetting it forever or buying it second hand a few times, I would rather own it forever and never have to re-sell it only to buy it back again since that doesn't make logical sense to me. On PC there is no reselling your games anyway, that market more or less died off years ago so we can't really compared the two in such a way when it exists within one market but not the other, digital gaming however exists within both.

Yea I understand what your saying with games like that. Stuff like that generally has a lot of replay value I have no problem with paying high price for digitally sicne I'd play it plently over many years Iv'e bought games such as Diablo III and all 3 campaigns of Starcraft 2 as I know they will offer many years of gaming on and off also got Gears of War Ultimate (was £5 more than physical) as I knew it would be my go-to games for the next year or so which gives it some good value. When it comes to short singleplayer campaigns with very poor replay value for £44.99+ thats when full digital completely fails imo.

About the poll... thanks to my almighty excel file and the power of pivot tables, I can easily check my annual digital share, either the totals or filtered by platform.

From 2006 to 2015 my annual digital share has grown from 0.34% to 75%:

"No" are physical games I don't have anymore, either I rented them for 1 - 2 weeks (f.e. Forza Horizon 2 on XBO, The Order & Watch_Dogs on PS4) or I resold them (difference of buying and selling price), so these costs belong to retail/physical.

If anyone wonders about PS4 games i bought in 2012: these are cross-buy titles like Journey, Flower and Sound Shapes, which were released later as PS4 version.

Around the Network
WoodenPints said:

Yea I understand what your saying with games like that. Stuff like that generally has a lot of replay value I have no problem with paying high price for digitally sicne I'd play it plently over many years Iv'e bought games such as Diablo III and all 3 campaigns of Starcraft 2 as I know they will offer many years of gaming on and off also got Gears of War Ultimate (was £5 more than physical) as I knew it would be my go-to games for the next year or so which gives it some good value. When it comes to short singleplayer campaigns with very poor replay value for £44.99+ thats when full digital completely fails imo.

Oh yeah I see what you're on about now, agreed on that part.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Wow what an asinine 'analysis', 90%+ of mobile revenue is ad revenue not game purchases, dlc, or even in-game purchases. I guess anything to show that PCs 'aren't dying'. As far as actual revenue goes its still consoles>mobile>PCs.

Moderated - Miguel_Zorro

elektranine said:
Wow what an asinine 'analysis', 90%+ of mobile revenue is ad revenue not game purchases, dlc, or even in-game purchases. I guess anything to show that PCs 'aren't dying'. As far as actual revenue goes its still consoles>mobile>PCs.

I'm confused. Are they combining mobile and PC gaming?

elektranine said:

These numbers actually don't include ad revenue. 

So no idea what you're on about?

Conina said:
HoloDust said:
Conina said:
Lawlight said:
So, which brought in more revenue? Mobile or PC?

Teeqoz said:
So what is the digital market on console worth now?

Both answers can be found in the superdata source: https://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/us-digital-games-market/

"The largest category in terms of dollar sales was mobile, earning $25.8 billion" and "Sales of digital console games showed the biggest jump and were up 34%, despite being one of the smaller categories at $4B annually."

So mobile revenue > PC revenue >>> console revenue (without retail sales).

I kinda don't understand that article, given that it ending paragraph states:

“PC-based gaming—consisting of free-to-play MMOs, subscription-based games like World of Warcraft, social games and PC downloadable games—earns over $32 billion annually, well above the $25.1 billion generated by mobile games,” the report states.

You are right, they only see "mobile" as largest category because they split up PC revenue in different segments/sub-categories. Here is their estimate of May 2015:

$32B (PC) + $25.1B (mobile) + $4B (consoles) = $61.1B total digital revenue. Together with ~20 billion dollar retail revenue, the total revenue should be around 80 billion dollar.

So, consoles = PC (with Asia) = Mobile more or less.