By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Gaming Sales breaks records in 2015! PC digital sales outpace mobile, Digital sales on consoles saw the greatest year-over-year and more!

Tagged games:

Did you spend more on digital gaming than physical gaming?

I spent more on Digital gaming 21 34.43%

I spent more on physical gaming 40 65.57%

Total:61
KiigelHeart said:

Yep, for example Fifa15 was released on fall 2014 and it's still above Fifa16.

What did you expect? 12 months revenue from FIFA 15 vs. 3 months of revenue from FIFA 16... of course the 2015 revenue of the game available 9 months longer is higher, even if sales are frontloaded.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

Well that's PC. PC digital prices are actually good. Console digital prices are usually just a rip off.

True that, though I can imagine adoption rates will change with time as well as pirces.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Well that's PC. PC digital prices are actually good. Console digital prices are usually just a rip off.

True that, though I can imagine adoption rates will change with time as well as pirces.

Do you think the big retailers are putting pressure on the console manufacturers and publishers to keep their digital prices high so they can compete?  

OneKartVita said:

Do you think the big retailers are putting pressure on the console manufacturers and publishers to keep their digital prices high so they can compete?  

I never actually thought of that, that's a good perspective to look into, though I don't know if we can say for sure but I can imagine physical retailers feeling threatened when MS/Sony/Nintendo try cutting out the middle man, I mean it's technically the best step forward for the big 3 since they won't need to pay the retailers while still being able to shift units on their own. The down side to this is a possibility of less physical products being on the shelves, my local GAME store for example has a tiny shelf spot for PC games compared to one whole side being reserved for Sony's games and Xbox having the other side, Nintendo has maybe two small shelves with one side being 3DS and the other Wii U/Wii but that's just my take from the store on where I live (I could take a photo sometime to give a better representation of how my GAME store looks in terms of physical and I don't think they would mind if I asked for some data, they are all basically late teens to mid 20's).

I do believe retailers should stop fighting though, I mean they exist due to the manufavcturers, not the other way around and they won't be around forever themselves, the ebst they can do is make do with what they have and let the big 3 decide what to do with their products as it's always going to be in their own best interests as to how they sell them.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Can I just add to this topic; how come we never get any sort of data at all on the use of digital or physical coupons?. Surely they can be recorded as they have barcodes on most of them which is likely to be fed to the end retailer/manufacturer as to how many games were sold at a price cut vs those bought at full price, how come we never see that kind of data?. I know it sounds silly but I'd really like to see something like that represented to show how the market reacts to a game being full priced both physically and digitally and which market makes the first move towards said coupons.

Around the Network

Good stuff. No wonder Japanese developers looking more and more at PC now.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

OneKartVita said:
Chazore said:
Ka-pi96 said:

I doubt that. The PSN/XBL/eShop prices are that high because enough people are willing to pay these prices (digital share is climbing every year) and there is no digital competition.

Conina said:
KiigelHeart said:

Yep, for example Fifa15 was released on fall 2014 and it's still above Fifa16.

What did you expect? 12 months revenue from FIFA 15 vs. 3 months of revenue from FIFA 16... of course the 2015 revenue of the game available 9 months longer is higher, even if sales are frontloaded.

You can check yearly retail sales for Fifa16 and Fifa15 on vgchartz. I have no idea how accurate these numbers are but according to them Fifa16 sold significantly more last year. My point was dlcmicrotransaction sales though. Alot of people, including me, spent more money on fifapoints than the actual game.

Ka-pi96 said:
Chazore said:

I snagged F4 for £26 digitally from GMG during Dec and Steam was selling it for £30 during their Winter sale.

Also snagged XCOM 2 digital deluxe edition for the price of a regular AAA game at £35, at least £5 cheaper than the usual £40 games you'd get physically in your local GAME store here in the UK (On the isle of Man at least).

Yea PC prices are a lot better than console but they still leave you with a "dead games" after you completed them with zero value.

As for console 3 games at £49.99 =£150, I could probably buy 25 games with reselling physical copies before I've actually spent £150, This is the biggest reason I'd be against full on digital.

Lawlight said:
So, which brought in more revenue? Mobile or PC?

The PC market (including online games) brings in more revenue than the mobile market at the moment. It's been that way since forever but recently Mobile is growing at such a fast pace that I would expect Mobile to be the largest generator of revenue within the next 3 years. 

Teeqoz said:
So what is the digital market on console worth now?

According to Superdata it's around $4 billion worldwide. But this number is purely for game revenue and doesn't include things like PS Plus subscriptions and such. 

I'm no expert but I'd put physical sales at around $16-$20b. 

TheSting said:
BasilZero said:

Pretty sure its PSN/XBL/Eshop combined -  3rd party titles make up the bulk of profit from digital sales. Specifically due to the Microtransactions/DLC that come with them as well (also the benefit of being Multiplatform).

So MS and Sony are giving out numbers on their digital side? Only to these guys? 

No. 

Superdata estimate the total market values by using digital point-of-sale data received from publishers, developers and payment service providers. At the moment they get digital reciepts for monthly spending of 37 million paying digital gamers, worldwide. 

So they have plenty of data to work with, however it's only a small portion of the market so a lot of their research relies on other methods. 

By the way, for those interested in the USA console market I've written up a yearly round up for 2015 which includes data for digital console spending as well. To sum it up, New Physical games generated $5.2 billion across console and portable titles at US retail and $2.5 billion was generated through full game downloads and DLC. So in other words, 1/3rd of software revenue is generated via digital when it comes to the US Console market.

https://zhugeex.com/2016/01/us-console-market-in-2015-year-in-review/