By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One from a PlayStation Fan Point of View

Mr Puggsly said:
SWORDF1SH said:

I'm not sure why what you mean then! Should of I said it's not hard to find a populated match to make it more clear? Or do you mean something else by "the online population has always been poor."

Well Sony themselves acknowledge the population in Killzone:SF shortly after release. There were also claims and photos showing it was under 2000 players the same holiday it released. It seems Sony's response was removing our ability to see the population numbers.

I know Killzone has its fans, but its simply not a popular online title.

I can't believe that. I was playing it a few weeks ago and quickly found busy maps. If it was 2k launch holiday, it would be completely dead now.

EDIT: The online users are actually quite low by the looks. The do a good job of matchmaking ten, which is a welcome after trying to play online with friends on GTA for a few hours and failing more times than being successful.

Around the Network

I use to own all three up until about a month ago. My take on the Xbox One is basically that it feels like a mistake. The hardware was a mistake (they thought they could get by with weaker hardware and didn't think quicker installs was important), the UI was a mistake (it was designed for Kinect, not a controller) the controller was a mistake (analog sticks are so long that there are now dead zones), the message of the console was a mistake (Kinect and TV!!), Kinect was a mistake... the whole thing was one big mistake.

I think what Microsoft has done is slowly try to fix these things. It started by firing the guy in charge and putting a better guy in place and then eventually changing the message and everything else to match the demographic of gamer that is out there. From BC to a new UI to trying to release a new (albeit expensive) controller... they've done all they can do to try an fix their issues. But none of them can really help the console "feel" right. It all feels cheap and you can still tell that they're almost in beta, trying to get their pieces back together. The fact that they're selling so poorly right now is proof that the public has moved on. I think they know this and they're just trying to get by until they can come up with new hardware or whatever else they're planning to do in the future.

Which leads me to my last point... I think Xbox One has taught me that Microsoft doesn't care about gaming and doesn't know what it even is. They're a software conglomerate that wanted to dip their toes into a market that was exploding with riches (late 90's and early 00's). They wanted to hurt Sony and slow their ability to become a media hub in homes around the world... that's it. Xbox was a trojan horse from day one. Start with gamers, slowly morph into casuals and then make the final turn towards "media box". They failed... and now they're stuck trying to convince us that the man behind the curtain was in fact, not really there.

SWORDF1SH said:

EDIT: The online users are actually quite low by the looks. The do a good job of matchmaking ten, which is a welcome after trying to play online with friends on GTA for a few hours and failing more times than being successful.

Yep, I just checked and there are 11 Active Warzone some of which have bots. I'm gonna take a guess and say there are probably less than 200 online.

I went into a Pistols Only matche and it was virtually all bots. Those bots are brutal as well, not fun.

If they are gonna make a new Killzone, the gameplay needs to be revamped and faster like Halo, CoD, BF, etc.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Killzone 3 also had userbase issues shortly after launch. That or just horrid matchmaking. I was constantly in games less than half full (and no auto balancing of teams, meaning it could be 5 vs 2 and the next two guys would go on the team with 5 peeps). It was the operations mode, forgot what it was called, with cinematics between phases of each level.

I was surprised when Sony said last gen that SOCOM Confrontation was beating all their other first party titles online.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Killzone 3 also had userbase issues shortly after launch. That or just horrid matchmaking. I was constantly in games less than half full (and no auto balancing of teams, meaning it could be 5 vs 2 and the next two guys would go on the team with 5 peeps). It was the operations mode, forgot what it was called, with cinematics between phases of each level.

I was surprised when Sony said last gen that SOCOM Confrontation was beating all their other first party titles online.

Killzone 2 was dead when I got a copy in 2011. It was a few years old by then but being virtually empty was a sign people dont like this game.

Killzone 3 went F2P multiplayer to stimulate the population as well.

Killzone games sell respectable numbers. But its evident the gameplay needs to change, especially in multiplayer.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Monteblanco said:
CGI-Quality said:

I have the PS4's multimedia remote. So it's not lacking that. Second, what media functions perform poorly? Finally, and this is just my curiosity, what games give the X1 the edge?

Only after reading your post I found out there is a remote control to the PS4 that was released a few months ago almost under secrecy, considering I didn't even know about it.

Concerning the media functions, the DLNA client crashes very often. Also, it only plays a very limited number of codecs. Most MKV videos doesn't play and even the MP4 support is buggy and often cannot play a movie to the end. Finnally, it does not support lossless music files.

Regarding the game libraries, both consoles are mainly feed by the same games. I think the XBox exclusives seem to be better but that is me. Feel free to disagree.

Well, ours is buggy, so it's no different there...