By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One from a PlayStation Fan Point of View

I am a Nintendo fan who owns a PS4. I have several complains withe PSN performance as well as the poorly implemented multimedia functions in the PS4, including the lack of a remote control. Also, although subjective, comparing the libraries of released and yet to be released games, I think the XBox have an edge. As such, I have several reasons to believe I would be better served with a XBox One. Still, because of the terrible articulated original message, I brought a PS4.

Around the Network
exdeath said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Eddie_Raja said:
Mr Puggsly said:

No, I believe Sony fans exagerate the quality of Playstation exclusives. This was evident with PS3 as well, I mean Killzone was treated as a Halo killer for a brief period.

1) That isn't objective.

LOL just because you say it isn't right?

2) User reviews of exclusives are often tainted with bias, trolls, etc.

Yeah it seems like they are biased towards MS games. 

3) The only objective option I can say is Nintendo, Sony, and MS deliver very different gaming experience. Sony's focus is cinematics and I can appreciate that.

Except Bloodborne, LBP, and The Tomorrow Children completely contradict what you are saying - in fact there are no XBOX equivalents to these games.  Furthermore, Killzone and Resistance had very little cutscenes.  I would argue Gears of War is far more about cinematics, and Halo is no less about them.

When games are multiplat I think we get more objective opinions.

Yep you remove the reviewer bump XBOX games get.

In bold above.  Overall you continue to have zero facts to back up your claims.

No, I feel critics have bias and sometimes give games higher scores then deserved simply because they like the story in a game. Espeically if it tugs the heart strings. But those games generally aren't remembered as fondly in the long run. I think Batman:AK is a recent title that fall into that, because that game was shit but scored well.

MS games score well when they're genuinely great. But titles with average gameplay can score extremely well if they have a REALLY good story telling (such as Last of Us and Uncharted).

Bloodborne may be a Sony IP, but From Software is the brains of that operation. Its also more of the same of their previous games. Anyhow, I was talking about the Sony software that gets the most attention. Its the cinematic stuff Sony is more known for. The single player of Halo and Gears is story driven, but they have something Killzone and Resistance lack... good multiplayer.

What's wrong with a good story and tugging heart strings?  We need more of this IMO.  Games have become too much Hollywood action dude bro Madden Call of Duty har har pwn n00bs on the internet oriented for the past decade.   Not everything has to be judged by online dick comparing facilities and testosterone content.  I'm actually quite tired of online play being forced into everything.  You can't even have a single player JRPG anymore without minimaly being forced to at least compare dicks via achievement progress being broadcasted every time you're forced to sign on.

Halo and Gears are your benchmarks for "story" driven games?  Seriously?  LMFAO I don't even know how to respond to that.  Nearly every game in your recently completed list is straight out of the stale billion budget 6 month cycle AAA mainstream fodder list that constantly bombard the windows of Gamestop.  COD/Batman/Assasin's Creed/Halo/Gears/Mortal Kombat/Forza/God of War/etc When is the last time you really enjoyed a heartbreaking story in a game or had a story affect you IRL and leave lasting emotional scars?  That kind of thing is FAR more memorable than Master McGruntyOneLinerChief Blows Stuff Up Again And Looks Cool Doing It Part 6.

I fondly remember the goosebump inducing feelz of Final Fantasy IV or Xenogears to this day far more than I remember anything about "haha pwning n00bs" in Quake 3 or Counterstrike when I had my unfortuneate online vs shooter PC master race phase years ago. 

You have some low standards if you think Halo and Gears are "story driven".  There are manly man shooters for AXE wearing couch potato special ops alpha wannabe manchildren first and foremost.  Story isn't even a close second compared to something like Xenoblade Chronicles or Suikoden.

But just out of sake of fairness I'll side with you on Killzone having "multiplayer", let alone on par with Gears or Halo.  In fact Killzone's "multiplayer" is exactly the kind of thing that happens when you shoehorn fake multiplayer into games that are in reality single player games.

But you saying Halo and Gears are "story" oriented games is about as hilarious as the other guy saying Killzone multiplayer compares to Gears and Halo.

What do you think of Xenoblade Chronicles?  (the original one, not the action game adaptation on the Wii U)  Xenosaga? Tales of?  Ni No Kuni?  Legend of Heroes? Metal Gear?  Fire Emblem?  A Realm Reborn?  Kingdom Hearts? Old school FF pre VII before Square sold out to casual emo pop audiences?  The Last of Us?  Radiant Historia? Persona?  

COD/Batman/Assasin's Creed/Halo/Gears/Mortal Kombat/Forza/God of War/etc

When is the last time you weren't afraid to bond with a child character or felt your breath taken away by a colorful world or swept away by a symphony sound track? Because Gears and Halo are totally known for their epic sound tracks, so much that they have dedicated full time orchestras that travel the world playing Gears and Halo music at sold out events around the world... oh wait I must have confused Halo with Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger, I'm sorry.  They are so close and all it's easy to mix them up.

Halo...Gears... "story"... bwhaha.

Recently I've taken a stance of just observing and keeping my opinions to myself but I'm making a special exception for you.  Who do you think you are? We're both gamers and we like what we like.  What makes you feel that your opinion of quality is any better than anyone else's?  With the cavalcade of spelling and grammatical errors in your posts, you may want to be less pretentious.  I've played the vast majority of the games you've named and then some.  

I started gaming on the NES and I play virtually any genre of game from any company. Look at my profile and my games collection (last updated probably 3-5 years ago but it'll give you a good idea of what I play).  I've thoroughly enjoyed both the Gears and Halo series.  Am I a " dudebro" by your definition?

Let's have a conversation.

CGI-Quality said:
Monteblanco said:
I am a Nintendo fan who owns a PS4. I have several complains withe PSN performance as well as the poorly implemented multimedia functions in the PS4, including the lack of a remote control. Also, although subjective, comparing the libraries of released and yet to be released games, I think the XBox have an edge. As such, I have several reasons to believe I would be better served with a XBox One. Still, because of the terrible articulated original message, I brought a PS4.

I have the PS4's multimedia remote. So it's not lacking that. Second, what media functions perform poorly? Finally, and this is just my curiosity, what games give the X1 the edge?

Only after reading your post I found out there is a remote control to the PS4 that was released a few months ago almost under secrecy, considering I didn't even know about it.

Concerning the media functions, the DLNA client crashes very often. Also, it only plays a very limited number of codecs. Most MKV videos doesn't play and even the MP4 support is buggy and often cannot play a movie to the end. Finnally, it does not support lossless music files.

Regarding the game libraries, both consoles are mainly feed by the same games. I think the XBox exclusives seem to be better but that is me. Feel free to disagree.

Hynad said:
Rafie said:
^^^^

There was a time you were guilty of doing that with the Xbox One. Not saying everything else sucked, but you downplayed it.

That time hasn't yet passed.

Had to be nice, but felt it still had to be said. LOL

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

CGI-Quality said:
Monteblanco said:

Only after reading your post I found out there is a remote control to the PS4 that was released a few months ago almost under secrecy, considering I didn't even know about it.

Concerning the media functions, the DLNA client crashes very often. Also, it only plays a very limited number of codecs. Most MKV videos doesn't play and even the MP4 support is buggy and often cannot play a movie to the end. Finnally, it does not support lossless music files.

Regarding the game libraries, both consoles are mainly feed by the same games. I think the XBox exclusives seem to be better but that is me. Feel free to disagree.

The remote release wasn't really a secret, though (in fact, I recall plenty of online annoucements). Either way, it isn't a fault of the system. Next, concerning the DLNA, I've encountered multimedia quibbles (minor in each case) on both the PS4 and X1. Haven't ever noticed any frequent issues on one more than the other, however. And regarding MP4s, I've had no issues at all. Haven't really heard of any widespread problem, either.

As for limited codecs, what are available on the X1 that aren't on PS4? 

I know this want directed at me but my gf and I were watching The Hateful Eight via (maybe illegal... maybe not... Who's to say?) digital download.  I absolutely HATE how slowly the Xbox One fast forwards so I plugged my portable HDD into my Ouya, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, XBO, and eventually, directly into my TV's USB port.  For whatever reason, the only devices that recognize any of my movies on that particular HDD are my PC, Laptop, and Xbox One.

My older, damaged 500hdd works with everything.  Doesn't really answer your question but this is my personal experience.  And for the record, we actually wound up connecting a laptop to the bedroom and using that instead.

Last gen, typically if a movie didn't work on PS3, it worked on 360. If it didn't work on 360, it played on PS3.  I honestly have no clue what the problem is with the current hard drive (USB 2.0) unless there's some kind of Windows 10 trick that stops everything else from viewing the HDD contents. I know my PS4 media player was up to date because it actually updated when I clicked on it.

Around the Network

List of ps4 formats (maybe i need to make files?)
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/music/mp_format_m.html

List of Xbox One formats:https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/media-player-faq

The Media Format War is silly IMO.

Most of those arent even used by the majority of the gamers.

Im not saying that its bad that a console support them, the more the better. 

BUT nobody decides to buy a console depending of the Compatible Media Formats.

+95% of Ps3 owners never used Linux on the system.

The moment that Sony removed it, obviously it was an avalanche of people shitting on Sony "Oh noes! Sony is devil!"

AEGRO said:

The Media Format War is silly IMO.

Most of those arent even used by the majority of the gamers.

Im not saying that its bad that a console support them, the more the better. 

BUT nobody decides to buy a console depending of the Compatible Media Formats.

+95% of Ps3 owners never used Linux on the system.

The moment that Sony removed it, obviously it was an avalanche of people shitting on Sony "Oh noes! Sony is devil!"

I agree. It's just a nice little bonus.  Aside from that one time and a time long ago just to try it out, I've never once used my 8th gen consoles to view content.  I did use my PS3 and 360 all of the time, though.  These days, it's either my laptop or even my Ouya (thanks, VLC App!) to watch content on TV. I know I'm in the minority on this one.

exdeath said:
Mr Puggsly said:

No, I feel critics have bias and sometimes give games higher scores then deserved simply because they like the story in a game. Espeically if it tugs the heart strings. But those games generally aren't remembered as fondly in the long run. I think Batman:AK is a recent title that fall into that, because that game was shit but scored well.

MS games score well when they're genuinely great. But titles with average gameplay can score extremely well if they have a REALLY good story telling (such as Last of Us and Uncharted).

Bloodborne may be a Sony IP, but From Software is the brains of that operation. Its also more of the same of their previous games. Anyhow, I was talking about the Sony software that gets the most attention. Its the cinematic stuff Sony is more known for. The single player of Halo and Gears is story driven, but they have something Killzone and Resistance lack... good multiplayer.

What's wrong with a good story and tugging heart strings?  We need more of this IMO.  Games have become too much Hollywood action dude bro Madden Call of Duty har har pwn n00bs on the internet oriented for the past decade.   Not everything has to be judged by online dick comparing facilities and testosterone content.  I'm actually quite tired of online play being forced into everything.  You can't even have a single player JRPG anymore without minimaly being forced to at least compare dicks via achievement progress being broadcasted every time you're forced to sign on.

Halo and Gears are your benchmarks for "story" driven games?  Seriously?  LMFAO I don't even know how to respond to that.  Nearly every game in your recently completed list is straight out of the stale billion budget 6 month cycle AAA mainstream fodder list that constantly bombard the windows of Gamestop.  COD/Batman/Assasin's Creed/Halo/Gears/Mortal Kombat/Forza/God of War/etc When is the last time you really enjoyed a heartbreaking story in a game or had a story affect you IRL and leave lasting emotional scars?  That kind of thing is FAR more memorable than Master McGruntyOneLinerChief Blows Stuff Up Again And Looks Cool Doing It Part 6.

I fondly remember the goosebump inducing feelz of Final Fantasy IV or Xenogears to this day far more than I remember anything about "haha pwning n00bs" in Quake 3 or Counterstrike when I had my unfortuneate online vs shooter PC master race phase years ago. 

You have some low standards if you think Halo and Gears are "story driven".  There are manly man shooters for AXE wearing couch potato special ops alpha wannabe manchildren first and foremost.  Story isn't even a close second compared to something like Xenoblade Chronicles or Suikoden.

But just out of sake of fairness I'll side with you on Killzone having "multiplayer", let alone on par with Gears or Halo.  In fact Killzone's "multiplayer" is exactly the kind of thing that happens when you shoehorn fake multiplayer into games that are in reality single player games.

But you saying Halo and Gears are "story" oriented games is about as hilarious as the other guy saying Killzone multiplayer compares to Gears and Halo.

What do you think of Xenoblade Chronicles?  (the original one, not the action game adaptation on the Wii U)  Xenosaga? Tales of?  Ni No Kuni?  Legend of Heroes? Metal Gear?  Fire Emblem?  A Realm Reborn?  Kingdom Hearts? Old school FF pre VII before Square sold out to casual emo pop audiences?  The Last of Us?  Radiant Historia? Persona?  

COD/Batman/Assasin's Creed/Halo/Gears/Mortal Kombat/Forza/God of War/etc

When is the last time you weren't afraid to bond with a child character or felt your breath taken away by a colorful world or swept away by a symphony sound track? Because Gears and Halo are totally known for their epic sound tracks, so much that they have dedicated full time orchestras that travel the world playing Gears and Halo music at sold out events around the world... oh wait I must have confused Halo with Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger, I'm sorry.  They are so close and all it's easy to mix them up.

Halo...Gears... "story"... bwhaha.

Oh boy, I somehow missed this gem of a post. I only noticed this response because of d21lewis.

I'll just say this, its evident you enjoy JRPGs. I've probably played through 20 JRPGs. But I stopped playing them because the gameplay in that genre is generally tedious, they are a slog. We could argue all games can be repetitive, but 60 hours of that bores me to tears and that's why I've stopped playing JRPGs for the most part.

Hence, I'm more about playing games for fun. If they wanna tell a touching story, great! I just don't wanna spend 60 hours hearing this story. The western bro games you're critical of are more respectful of my time and frankly are more fun.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

SWORDF1SH said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well if not struggling to find a match is the barometer we are using to determine success, well then I guess its online population is doing great. People generally haven't been that open minded when discussing Titanfall's population.

I'm not sure why what you mean then! Should of I said it's not hard to find a populated match to make it more clear? Or do you mean something else by "the online population has always been poor."

Well Sony themselves acknowledge the population in Killzone:SF shortly after release. There were also claims and photos showing it was under 2000 players the same holiday it released. It seems Sony's response was removing our ability to see the population numbers.

I know Killzone has its fans, but its simply not a popular online title.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)