By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Is There Like Zero Attention About the 3DS Successor?

ya know, I thought initially thought (and still sorta stand by it) that NX would be a handheld successor...

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Because most people around here greatly prefer home consoles over handhelds, there is no Xbox handheld and Sony fans would like to forget.

What you are left with is only a small amount of people that is interested in talking about handhelds.

Everything is true.  Never leave the box to go for portable.

Lube Me Up

I agree that the focus for Nintendo first and foremost needs to be on preserving the moderate success that they had with the 3DS and then growing from there back into home consoles. The Wii U is a failure and it's basic business sense that if you want to grow your business then you need to start with what your company is already good at and then grow from there. Nintendo is not going to be able to create another Wii and trying to take back core home console gamers as the core plank of the NX while ignoring their handheld user base would be a disaster since Nintendo hasn't had core home console gamers since the N64 days. On the other hand, Nintendo probably has 30-40 million dedicated 3DS owners who are, as of today, favorable towards going another round with Nintendo. If the NX is first and foremost based around retaining the 3DS owners by creating a successful portable platform and then bringing the portable platform into the home console realm, then this could be a successful business strategy.

For example, one way Nintendo can do this is by securing key Japanese 3rd party support on the NX handheld that they currently have for the 3DS. If they can get Square Enix, CAPCOM, ATLUS, etc to support the NX portable in same way that they have supported the 3DS then it will be a very easy step to get those same developers to optimize their games for the NX home console (since porting will hopefully be ridiculously easy to do between the two NX devices). Pretty soon you'll be seeing Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest and Etrian Odyssey show up on the NX home console and then it is only a small step before you might see the Final Fantasy VII remake getting ported straight from the PS4 as Square Enix will now be very comfortable developing for the NX home console platform.  Now if games like FFVII catch on, then western developers will have no choice but to start taking a look at developing for Nintendo home consoles again and before you know it, Nintendo is now a medium-weight contender again in the home console world. That said, this all starts with their handheld.

Dedicated handheld gaming is pretty much dead outside of Japan.

3DS's weekly sales in Europe and North America aren't much better than Wii U's. 

There's no future in it.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

People focus on the console side because there is so much interest in Nintendo's poor performance in that space.

While I am personally more interested in the handheld than anything else, I understand why it makes for less enticing speculation, especially when we know so little.

Around the Network

Because everyone (should) knows that the NX is the 3DS successor too.

Well, this is new.

Read.

curl-6 said:

There's no future in it.

That's because the 3DS is turning five and its big holiday title of 2015 was Tri Force Heroes. Handhelds most definitely have a bright future.

Well, this is new.

Read.

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

There's no future in it.

That's because the 3DS is turning five and its big holiday title of 2015 was Tri Force Heroes. Handhelds most definitely have a bright future.

The dedicated handheld market shrank from 240 million systems in the 7th gen to about 80 million in the 8th gen. Markets with a bright future don't shrink by two thirds from one generation to the next.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

The dedicated handheld market shrank from 240 million systems in the 7th gen to about 80 million in the 8th gen. Markets with a bright future don't shrink by two thirds from one generation to the next.

The dedicated handheld market grew from 80 million in the 6th gen to 240 million in the 7th gen. That's not anything to compare success to. Gen 7 was a freak show of a sales bubble that was bound to burst, and it did.

Well, this is new.

Read.

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

The dedicated handheld market grew from 80 million in the 6th gen to 240 million in the 7th gen. That's not anything to compare success to. Gen 7 was a freak show of a sales bubble that was bound to burst, and it did.

3DS will be the lowest selling Nintendo handheld, the Vita is an unmitigated disaster, and it's pretty clear at this point that Sony won't be making another handheld, while if Nintendo do, they'll only be mainstream in Japan; the West has been lost to smartphones.

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but honestly, I can't see a future for dedicated portables outside of Japan.