By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - There is no Such Thing as "White Privilege"

Azuren said:
Soundwave said:

Human beings are petty, superficial creatures, our brains judge people by looking at them at a glance.

So yes, it does matter what skin color you have, unfortunately, even today. People assume a hundred different things about you just by the shade of your skin color.

It's unfortunate and hopefully we will make past it some day, but we're not there yet.

I assume things based on clothing and the number/placement of tattoos. 

I don't care if you're black. Congratulations. I do, however, care that the white guy behind you decided to tattoo his face. 

Because he decided that. 

That's fine that you don't, but most people still are hardwired to base people on looks. Our brain doesn't have time to get to know/trust everyone one so it makes snap judgements based on looks. 

We assume better looking people are better than uglier people too for one. 

Skin color certainly factors into things, thinking otherwise is just naive. It's still a big issue. I have a friend who's black and I've literally seen people cross the street to avoid walking past us, probably because they think he was going to rob them or who knows what else. 

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
I teach in a 98-99% inner city, low income, African american public school. I am white. Here are some thoughts I have on what I see:

There is a TON of disrespect towards each other, themselves, and adults by the students. When someone in the community (often a former drop out or graduate) dies, instead of being sad about it the students most often treat it as some interesting and exciting news. The value for life in this community is drastically lower in comparison to higher income environments.

The kids, for the vast majority of them, do not care about their grades. No matter how many times we, as adults, try to point out the importance of it, no matter how many times we describe how this could be there way out of this way of life, they just don't care. To them, dropping out or failing doesn't matter (we do have students that do care, but most don't).

There are fights all the time and there are legit gangs (based on streets the students live on around the school). We have had weapons, drugs, sexual activity and we've had the cops in the school and around it when these events go on, chasing down the students that are trying to flee.

When I look at this (and this does connect to the white privilege thing) I start to ask why. I have a history background and teach government in this school. Why do I (and let's just be honest here) see black people doing this stuff so often in these types of environments? It doesn't take long to find the answer. You look at the families and realize the truth. In education, it's common for us teachers to say to each other that we are powerless if the home life isn't aligned with us. If the family has fallen to pieces, then we have no shot at helping these kids most often. When I look at the families of the students I work with, so often is there no dad or grandma is in charge because mom is on drugs or dad is in prison, dead, or was too scared to be a baby dady and ran.

So it's easy to just blame the families, but then I have to think why are they the way they are? I have a good friend, from Nigeria, that I was roommates in college with for a couple years. He NEVER acted like this. He contributed to society. He had a whole and wonderful family and now has a wife and a baby on the way and is living the dream, if you will. He was and is extremely respectful, cares about his future, and cares about life. What makes him, and many other Africans I knew, so different in their morals, values, and educational focus than so many African Americans?

Slavery. When Africans were stripped from Africa and forced to become slaves, we beat them down and made them feel inferior. We took them away from their families and split them all up. There entire race has been basically shut into an insane asylum and then, after a LOOOOONG time, were set free. Did we do anything to help them adjust to this freedom? Did we issue national programs to help them reconnect with their families?

Any race, if given what Africans Americans went through, would degenerate similarly. It isn't their fault and many of them are ignorant to why they are what they are in the first place. We are all subject to conditioning. Their conditioning started hundreds of years ago. As a race, white people totally screwed up the mentality of African Americans through slavery. This is the reason why we are "privileged" and why we owe them until their race is restored to the same playing field as any decent African (intelligent, family focused, and concerned with helping themselves and others have good lives).

Very interesting read. Just wanted to say that. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to this being a root cause.

Quite a lot of what you say can link into more deprived areas of the UK too. Though many of these areas are predominantly white. So I would say a big chunk of it is more down to the environment you're brought up in, and the values that are instilled in you growing up as much as a race thing. Though I could certainly see how the historical context does mean it's generally black people in the US.

Having married an American and spent a bit of time talking to some Americans, I am still getting my head around "white privilege". I think it's a wrong concept and institutional racism would be more appropriate from what I have seen. I was absolutely disgusted by how some black people were treated by conductors on St Louis Metro. However it wasn't a "white privilege", more the way they were speaking to the black people on the train was just disgusting.

I was really surprised with how rather overtly racist a lot of people seem to be in the US. The reason I would more consider it racism, than white privilege, is because there are white minority groups which suffer exactly the same treatment in Europe. Particularly Eastern Europeans get a lot of flak, and this is without the slavery aspect that you can link into African American ancestors.

But as usual, the internet likes to try and make things sound like they are very 2 dimensional "good/bad" issues. Rambling a bit now though, as I don't really have an argument to make either way. In the UK though at the moment, there is a thing about "privilege" but it's more to do with how rich your family is and whether you went to state school or private school and the impact that makes on your success in your career.

I guess basically, a lot of the argument, you can actually take skin colour out of it and find identical groups which have exactly the same discrimination? Though in the US, I can see why it has now been labelled white privilege.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Oh great. It's this guy again. Apparently he is VGchartz self appointed conservative agenda pusher.

Of course, white privilege exists. When your country is taken over by white people, then run by white slave owners for 200 years, then you have segregation for another 100 years... Yet white people bitch when a SINGLE black person is in a movie, or nominated for an award. We're surrounded by racism is this country; you have to be blind not to see it...or in denial.

White privilege is a ridiculous term, as it insinuates that white people have a privileged and easy life, despite this not really being true for the majority.

Spending warm summer days indoors   

Writing frightening verse

To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mega Drive, Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Atari Lynx

In fact: read through the original topic post. You SOUND like you suffer from white privilege yourself. "Them damn minorities are trying to screw everything up for the white man!" No, the just want to be treated equally. It's not that difficult.

Around the Network

I hope people realize the world is not perfect (never has been and never will) and that making things better is not exactly easy or simple as many think. :S It takes time, effort and most importantly: interest from those who can actually do something meaningful.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Puppyroach said:
DonFerrari said:

And  Sweden is accumulating a lot of debts and looking ever so more to a abyss because of it, but sure keep growing the debts and raising the taxes and you are set for success, for sure.

Except Sweden has one of the lowest debt-per-GDP in the world at something like 40%. We also had a gdp growth last year of 3,9% which is amazing considering how much turmoil we have in the world right now.

From what I know the trend is that of a growing debt.

teigaga said:
DonFerrari said:

Jews had it a lot

Besides having 6M MURDERED? Being despised and hunt in Germany for decades before, being hunted on Spain and Portugal for centuries (perhaps other european countries as well during the middle age), being slaves on Egypt and a lot more... yes jew had it easy.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I used to think it was just made up but as time has passed by I think being born white gives you more advantage than being born lets say Black or Hispanic/Latino. You can believe it doesn't exist all you like though :P

All I know is that if you are born white, straight and male, that's close to hitting the lottery in the US. Not a guaranteed to an super easy life, but a lot more doors are open to you.

As a hispanic male, I think there is some white privilege but not so extreme that is the cause for every minority's problems. I think of white privilege more in the sense that being white makes life generally easier. Whites are regarded or "viewed" as more educated, intelligent, and such here in the US, it's just (almost but not really) a fact.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

I agree with OP ...

There is no such thing as "White Privilege", there is only "Rich Privilege" and then "Power Privilege" ...

The world as of today is based on a meritocracy and it's a new generation so there should be no excuses ...