By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - There is no Such Thing as "White Privilege"

DonFerrari said:

Puppyroach said:

Except Sweden has one of the lowest debt-per-GDP in the world at something like 40%. We also had a gdp growth last year of 3,9% which is amazing considering how much turmoil we have in the world right now.

From what I know the trend is that of a growing debt.

Actually it doesn´t, or atleast at a very slow pace. The economic model that we use today was largely formed after the economy crashed in 1990-1991 and has proven very stable, evene through the world economy crashes of 2000 and 2008. The growth of the debt is real, but compared to growth of GDP, it doesn´t grow much, or at all. Any financial system is dependent on balance where government should provide the basis for a well educated and healthy people, while at the same giving private corporations the opportunity to grow, while at the same time contributing to society. It is a system that puts a heavier tax on its people, but on the other end they will save money by not having as many private expenditures (health insurance, college tuitions and so on).

Around the Network

I'm just going to say it.

You're a racist.

User was moderated for this post ~StarOcean

We still use terms like "minorities". That should be enough.

Those who have it at best don't know it and at worse deny it.

Why? Because they look at their personal struggles rather than the difficulties of an entire collective.

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

johnsobas said:
Dulfite said:
I teach in a 98-99% inner city, low income, African american public school. I am white. Here are some thoughts I have on what I see:

There is a TON of disrespect towards each other, themselves, and adults by the students. When someone in the community (often a former drop out or graduate) dies, instead of being sad about it the students most often treat it as some interesting and exciting news. The value for life in this community is drastically lower in comparison to higher income environments.

The kids, for the vast majority of them, do not care about their grades. No matter how many times we, as adults, try to point out the importance of it, no matter how many times we describe how this could be there way out of this way of life, they just don't care. To them, dropping out or failing doesn't matter (we do have students that do care, but most don't).

There are fights all the time and there are legit gangs (based on streets the students live on around the school). We have had weapons, drugs, sexual activity and we've had the cops in the school and around it when these events go on, chasing down the students that are trying to flee.

When I look at this (and this does connect to the white privilege thing) I start to ask why. I have a history background and teach government in this school. Why do I (and let's just be honest here) see black people doing this stuff so often in these types of environments? It doesn't take long to find the answer. You look at the families and realize the truth. In education, it's common for us teachers to say to each other that we are powerless if the home life isn't aligned with us. If the family has fallen to pieces, then we have no shot at helping these kids most often. When I look at the families of the students I work with, so often is there no dad or grandma is in charge because mom is on drugs or dad is in prison, dead, or was too scared to be a baby dady and ran.

So it's easy to just blame the families, but then I have to think why are they the way they are? I have a good friend, from Nigeria, that I was roommates in college with for a couple years. He NEVER acted like this. He contributed to society. He had a whole and wonderful family and now has a wife and a baby on the way and is living the dream, if you will. He was and is extremely respectful, cares about his future, and cares about life. What makes him, and many other Africans I knew, so different in their morals, values, and educational focus than so many African Americans?

Slavery. When Africans were stripped from Africa and forced to become slaves, we beat them down and made them feel inferior. We took them away from their families and split them all up. There entire race has been basically shut into an insane asylum and then, after a LOOOOONG time, were set free. Did we do anything to help them adjust to this freedom? Did we issue national programs to help them reconnect with their families?

Any race, if given what Africans Americans went through, would degenerate similarly. It isn't their fault and many of them are ignorant to why they are what they are in the first place. We are all subject to conditioning. Their conditioning started hundreds of years ago. As a race, white people totally screwed up the mentality of African Americans through slavery. This is the reason why we are "privileged" and why we owe them until their race is restored to the same playing field as any decent African (intelligent, family focused, and concerned with helping themselves and others have good lives).

Listen obviously you are thinking about this deeply and i can respect where you are coming from but the black family survived hundreds of years of slavery and was still going strong, slavery did not do that.  It was a hundred years after slavery that the black family started to fall apart and it has been a slow process over the last 50 years.  I could go on further into reasons why but i'm just gonna leave it there.

Yes, I would say the governement giving out money and saying black people is inferior and need help plus drugs hurt the black folks a lot more than the prejudice and white privilege. Hispanic, Asians and some europeans also suffer prejudice, but their family cell is tight and the desire to succed is strong so they end up evolving, while we teach that the black are entitle special treatment because they can't provide to themselves, for me that is a lot worse.

Puppyroach said:

Actually it doesn´t, or atleast at a very slow pace. The economic model that we use today was largely formed after the economy crashed in 1990-1991 and has proven very stable, evene through the world economy crashes of 2000 and 2008. The growth of the debt is real, but compared to growth of GDP, it doesn´t grow much, or at all. Any financial system is dependent on balance where government should provide the basis for a well educated and healthy people, while at the same giving private corporations the opportunity to grow, while at the same time contributing to society. It is a system that puts a heavier tax on its people, but on the other end they will save money by not having as many private expenditures (health insurance, college tuitions and so on).

All I read was that the scandinavian countries were on debts rising and would face several problems with their state of wellfare. And I do preffer to pay for my own bills instead of lending the money to government to pay for me as a middle man and include ineficiencies and extra costs. But if in Sweden the rise in debt isn't leading to a crash and you think that heavy taxation won't generate less growth for industries ok.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:

Why? Because they look at their personal struggles rather than the difficulties of an entire collective.

there are plenty of inequalities that white males face. we are not all completely equal, but the solution isnt to deprive groups that you think are privileged of opportunities.

PerturbedKitty said:
SpokenTruth said:

there are plenty of inequalities that white males face. we are not all completely equal, but the solution isnt to deprive groups that you think are privileged of opportunities.

I don't think anyone is talking about depriving a group of opportunities but rather helping those groups that need the help.

If an entire classroom of students had to take paper ball shots at a wastebasket at the front of the class, those in the front have the easiest shots (privelage).  Nobody is talking about moving thier chairs further back.  Only moving the chairs in the farthest rows a little further up.

Areym said:
All I know is that if you are born white, straight and male, that's close to hitting the lottery in the US. Not a guaranteed to an super easy life, but a lot more doors are open to you.

As a hispanic male, I think there is some white privilege but not so extreme that is the cause for every minority's problems. I think of white privilege more in the sense that being white makes life generally easier. Whites are regarded or "viewed" as more educated, intelligent, and such here in the US, it's just (almost but not really) a fact.

lol what? hitting the lottery? did you know that people who win lotteries are in the.. minority? lol sorry, this analogy you made here just fucks my brain up. and what doors are open to you as a white male? can you be specific about that? im a white male and there is plenty of shit that i cant do or apply for based on the color of my skin and my gender. what are you not allowed to do as a hispanic male? name something specific. 

white people are not viewed as more educated. you can look at someone and there are plenty of things you can look at that ARE NOT RACE that will tell you if they are educated or not. this is just a bunch of bullshit that white people are viewed as more educated and intelligent and that contributes to our "privilege" well what about asians and indian people? these two are the top two educated demographics in the US. what do you make of that? ill tell you what i make of it, it doesnt fucking matter. these groups typically come from cultures that put a large emphasis on academia. so what? this bickering about race thing is ridiculous. i find it interesting that people who arent of my demographic find it perfectly acceptable to speak to "my experience" as a white man but  you have guys like spokentruth (ironic, i know) who say that it is impossibile for white men to speak about the experience of anybody else. isnt there anybody out there who see how hypocritical and racist this sounds?

you know, part of not being a racist or sexist is not taking into consideration somebody's race or gender. 

SpokenTruth said:
PerturbedKitty said:

I don't think anyone is talking about depriving a group of opportunities but rather helping those groups that need the help.

If an entire classroom of students had to take paper ball shots at a wastebasket at the front of the class, those in the front have the easiest shots (privelage).  Nobody is talking about moving thier chairs further back.  Only moving the chairs in the farthest rows a little further up.

yes, i saw that ridiculous picture already. 

yes, white people are deprived things like scholarships just for the color of their skin. at my school if you want to study physics, for example, and youre black, you get a free ride just for the color of your skin. i mean, wtf is that shit? its a bunch of racist bullshit is what it is. that isnt the equivalent of moving their chairs closer to the wastebasket, that is literally letting them bypass taking the shot altogether. people shouldnt be granted awards because of their race or gender. 

PerturbedKitty said:
SpokenTruth said:

yes, i saw that ridiculous picture already. 

yes, white people are deprived things like scholarships just for the color of their skin. at my school if you want to study physics, for example, and youre black, you get a free ride just for the color of your skin. i mean, wtf is that shit? its a bunch of racist bullshit is what it is. that isnt the equivalent of moving their chairs closer to the wastebasket, that is literally letting them bypass taking the shot altogether. people shouldnt be granted awards because of their race or gender.

To understand it, you have to step back from an individual perspective and look at it from a collective perspective.

You also fail to regonize that the "free ride", scholarship, that any black can claim, so you say, is not privelage, it's your schools attempt to help move that back row forward.  That didn't push your front row back any.  And again, don't look at the rows as individuals but as a collective.