By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - There is no Such Thing as "White Privilege"

PerturbedKitty said:
This thread is a good way to show me who to 100% avoid on this site. Thank you, Mr. Trump.

Exactly, this guy keeps pushing Trump in all these threads. It's kind of scary.

Around the Network
Tigerlure said:

For someone who says they go to school, you must not be learning anything. Take a basic Sociology course. You'll learn that it's a real thing. I'll spell out specific examples for you.

White privilege is having generational wealth because your family after World War II was not forced into segregated, red-zoned neighborhoods. 

White privilege is using that wealth to get access to better schools and a better education because your family can afford to pay the high property taxes.

White privilege is using drug at the same rate as African Americans, but not being dispropotionately targeted by police.

White privilege is not being pulled over by police for driving a nice car while being black/latino.

White privilege is not getting your resume thrown out, when you're just as qualified as the next white applicant but are discriminated due to a foreign sounding name.

Those are just a few examples. Some are defensive about white privilege because they take it to mean that they haven't worked hard for what they earned. That is NOT what white privilege is. No one is saying you haven't earned what you've worked hard for. What we're saying is that there are conscious and subsconscious biases in society that give you certain advantages.

sorry, i take courses that are actually worth a shit. you know, molecular biology, physical chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology, analytical chemistry.. things that actually contribute to real progress. ive taken a sociology course.. two in fact. and i wasnt impressed at all. 

im sorry, i know not everybody on this board agrees with me, but i hold to the principle that people should be judged by the content of their character and not the color of their skin. yes, i know, its an old antiquated idea from the 1960s, but i really like it and i am just going to stick to that. 

Wyrdness said:
On the whole privilege thing if it didn't exist can someone explain why white Americans are simply called American while other ethnic groups are called Afro-American, Asian-American and so on?

I kind of agree with Spoken Truth, tbh.

those are labels that people adopt for themseleves for whatever reason. that has nothing to do with this supposed privilege that we are all supposed to mindlessly accept that white males have. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ABRlWybBqM

Yeah racial profiling doesn't exist. At all. lol.

Reality is people are petty, superficial. You get judged on the color of your skin on a daily basis all the time. 

just to throw it out there, i do believe that blacks in america have a rougher time with the police than whites do. i do think that the way police treat them is incredibly unfair, but my view on police is not very positive to begin with. this is perhaps the only area that i see some kind of unfairness that black people have to deal with. but on the other side of that coin, i cant receive a single scholarship for being white, so they dont have a monopoly on being treated unfairly. every demographic faces some kind of inequality.

Around the Network
PerturbedKitty said:
just to throw it out there, i do believe that blacks in america have a rougher time with the police than whites do. i do think that the way police treat them is incredibly unfair, but my view on police is not very positive to begin with. this is perhaps the only area that i see some kind of unfairness that black people have to deal with. but on the other side of that coin, i cant receive a single scholarship for being white, so they dont have a monopoly on being treated unfairly. every demographic faces some kind of inequality.

Again this isn't police. This is average citizens. Look at the massive double standard. 

The "DEY TOOK ERRRR SCHOLARSHIPS!" issue is overblown too

https://www.good.is/articles/debunking-the-myth-that-minorities-receive-more-college-scholarships

Yes sure having black skin is an advantage ... uh ... maybe for the 0.0000001% of the population who's life goal is to be a rapper. 

PerturbedKitty said:
Tigerlure said:

For someone who says they go to school, you must not be learning anything. Take a basic Sociology course. You'll learn that it's a real thing. I'll spell out specific examples for you.

White privilege is having generational wealth because your family after World War II was not forced into segregated, red-zoned neighborhoods. 

White privilege is using that wealth to get access to better schools and a better education because your family can afford to pay the high property taxes.

White privilege is using drug at the same rate as African Americans, but not being dispropotionately targeted by police.

White privilege is not being pulled over by police for driving a nice car while being black/latino.

White privilege is not getting your resume thrown out, when you're just as qualified as the next white applicant but are discriminated due to a foreign sounding name.

Those are just a few examples. Some are defensive about white privilege because they take it to mean that they haven't worked hard for what they earned. That is NOT what white privilege is. No one is saying you haven't earned what you've worked hard for. What we're saying is that there are conscious and subsconscious biases in society that give you certain advantages.

sorry, i take courses that are actually worth a shit. you know, molecular biology, physical chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology, analytical chemistry.. things that actually contribute to real progress. ive taken a sociology course.. two in fact. and i wasnt impressed at all. 

im sorry, i know not everybody on this board agrees with me, but i hold to the principle that people should be judged by the content of their character and not the color of their skin. yes, i know, its an old antiquated idea from the 1960s, but i really like it and i am just going to stick to that. 

I notice you didn't refute any of my points. If you want to pretend that life is a simple as "judging by the content of their character and not the color of their skin", then that's fine. We all want life to be that way. But there's a clear difference between what it is and what we want it to be. 

Tigerlure said:

So American white privilege? I think this forum gets lost in topics like this because there are global users. And while I can see every example fitting the US, it doesn't fit as a template globally.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Soundwave said:

Yeah racial profiling doesn't exist. At all. lol.

Reality is people are petty, superficial. You get judged on the color of your skin on a daily basis all the time. 

i watched the entire video. lol that's pretty fucked up and disappointing. does this prove that white women are the real culprits who are hogging all the privilege? lol.

ok, but in all seriousness, youre right about something for once. people were racial profiling in this video. nobody should be engaging in this activity, but when the person was white, people were not as quick to call the police. that is an injustice. but are there any examples of somebody doing something completely innocent? ill give you a personal experience i had when i was 17. i had just got my first car and my dad sent me to go get a key copied. well, i went to OSH and it was my first time being in a hardware store like that by myself, so i didnt know where the fuck anything was. i ended up in the gardening section before i actually found where i was supposed to go, and i was literally stopped by somebody because i looked shady like i was going to steal something. the truth was that i was just lost and didnt know where the hell i was. 

another experience i had was that i wanted to work at the financial aid office at my school for a summer, and i was interviewed by a group of 4 hispanic women and 1 asian woman. i didnt think anything of it, but i left the interview feeling like i wasnt going to get the job because i wasnt the right demographic that they were looking for. you know when you do really well in an interview, and i felt great about it, but there was something in me that made me feel like i had to do that much better because i was a white male. its a shitty feeling. that was 3 years ago, and i take notice every time im in that office and they just dont hire white guys for whatever reason. im sure they apply since there are so many at my school, yet the people who work there are a very specific demographic. very curious indeed.

sorry guys, i cant play anymore. i have work to do. maybe later tonight.