By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - There is no Such Thing as "White Privilege"

Dulfite said:
I teach in a 98-99% inner city, low income, African american public school. I am white. Here are some thoughts I have on what I see:

There is a TON of disrespect towards each other, themselves, and adults by the students. When someone in the community (often a former drop out or graduate) dies, instead of being sad about it the students most often treat it as some interesting and exciting news. The value for life in this community is drastically lower in comparison to higher income environments.

The kids, for the vast majority of them, do not care about their grades. No matter how many times we, as adults, try to point out the importance of it, no matter how many times we describe how this could be there way out of this way of life, they just don't care. To them, dropping out or failing doesn't matter (we do have students that do care, but most don't).

There are fights all the time and there are legit gangs (based on streets the students live on around the school). We have had weapons, drugs, sexual activity and we've had the cops in the school and around it when these events go on, chasing down the students that are trying to flee.

When I look at this (and this does connect to the white privilege thing) I start to ask why. I have a history background and teach government in this school. Why do I (and let's just be honest here) see black people doing this stuff so often in these types of environments? It doesn't take long to find the answer. You look at the families and realize the truth. In education, it's common for us teachers to say to each other that we are powerless if the home life isn't aligned with us. If the family has fallen to pieces, then we have no shot at helping these kids most often. When I look at the families of the students I work with, so often is there no dad or grandma is in charge because mom is on drugs or dad is in prison, dead, or was too scared to be a baby dady and ran.

So it's easy to just blame the families, but then I have to think why are they the way they are? I have a good friend, from Nigeria, that I was roommates in college with for a couple years. He NEVER acted like this. He contributed to society. He had a whole and wonderful family and now has a wife and a baby on the way and is living the dream, if you will. He was and is extremely respectful, cares about his future, and cares about life. What makes him, and many other Africans I knew, so different in their morals, values, and educational focus than so many African Americans?

Slavery. When Africans were stripped from Africa and forced to become slaves, we beat them down and made them feel inferior. We took them away from their families and split them all up. There entire race has been basically shut into an insane asylum and then, after a LOOOOONG time, were set free. Did we do anything to help them adjust to this freedom? Did we issue national programs to help them reconnect with their families?

Any race, if given what Africans Americans went through, would degenerate similarly. It isn't their fault and many of them are ignorant to why they are what they are in the first place. We are all subject to conditioning. Their conditioning started hundreds of years ago. As a race, white people totally screwed up the mentality of African Americans through slavery. This is the reason why we are "privileged" and why we owe them until their race is restored to the same playing field as any decent African (intelligent, family focused, and concerned with helping themselves and others have good lives).

What people seem to overlook is that American slaves were emancipated in 1863, but the Civil Rights Act wasn't passed until 1964. That means, FOR ONE HUNDRED YEARS, American blacks were niminally free, but not equal. It was completely legal to discriminate against black for a century, and people need to let that simple fact sink in. If someone (like my father) says, "they need to stop complaining about slavery: that was 150 years ago," they are being completely disingenuous. Black Americans were only explicitly granted equality 50 years ago, and, even then, systemic racism persisted. The corrupt, privatized prison system was exposed over 20 years ago (companies paying judges to sentence minorities harsher to ensure records and recidivism), yet judges only started getting convicted last year. An honest sociologist can also tell you that cities have been intentionally deisgned to marginalize minorities and isolate them from rest of society (See "Chicago housing projects"). If these problems are still being addressed as early as last year, it would be foolish to think that others still do not persist or that passing laws magically resolves centuries of diminishment and discrimination.

Around the Network

MY TAKE ON POLITICS
written by Azuren

Things that need to be socialized, but be allowed private sectors:
Medicine
Healthcare
Education

Things that need to be socialized EXCLUSIVELY:
Fire Departments
EMS
Police
Military
Roads
Prisons

Things that should require a job to qualify for:
Welfare
Foodstamps
FHA

Things that shouldn't require a job to qualify for:
WIC
Disability
Unemployment

Illegal things that should be legal:
Marijuana, Mushrooms, and all other naturally occurring vegetation that is classified as a Scheduled Substance

Legal things that should be illegal:
Xanax
Voting without ID
"Dragging people through court" (The act of rescheduling court dates until your opponent declares bankruptcy or settles)
Government officials giving themselves raises
(Can probably think of a lot more)

People who need to be removed from office:
Anyone who's ever voted in favor of giving themselves a raise since 2001
Anyone with an IQ lower than 100 points.
Anyone who has ever filibustered

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

SpokenTruth said:
outlawauron said:
SpokenTruth said:

There are no racial percentage quotas for private companies (with no government contracts).  Also, the Civil Rights Act of 1991 only added strengthened the means of redress during discrimination litigation.  It didn't establish any quotas.

I know, I said it only dampered the threat of suits from employees. It also didn't affect the existing laws about quotas.

and honestly, I don't think there is a large company that doesn't have at least one government contract. (Even my relatively small company (~150 employees) has several)

There are thousands of large companies that do not have government contracts.  It all depends on what service your company provides.

Nope. It is the law. Companies are required to meet certain levels of diversity in order to be safe from being out of compliance with EEOC (i.e. it opens themselves up to discrimination claims and suits). While the Civil Rights Act of 1991 dampered the threat of suits, it still happens today and the culture in which companies choose people.

There are no racial percentage quotas for private companies (with no government contracs).  Also, the Civil Rights Act of 1991 only added strengthened the means of redress during discrimination litigation.  It didn't establish any quotas.

There may be no quotas... I don't know their regulation on the matter, but I saw companies that had pressure to have 50/50 on woman and black people because of public perception.

Certainly there is pressure.  But there are no laws requiring percentages or quotas.  

I personally believe the best candidate for the job should be who a company hires.  But if 2 candidates have absolutely equal credentials and the only difference is race or sex, I'd suggest the minority for the perspective that person would bring to the company against maintaining a homogeny that may miss quality, valid outside perceptions and ideas.  Forced quaotas are a bad idea.  But policy to achieve a broad ranging workforce that adds breadth to the company's input should be sought after.

I see, no problem.

On the diversity, my company push it as far as I see on a fair way. But I still can't assure if having homogeinity will enhance speed because of common culture and dynamic or having diversity would be better because different ideas may arise. But since I don't grade people on skin tones I don't care, and would like to have more black friends (though I have a lot of miscigenized folks as friends).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Azuren said:
MY TAKE ON POLITICS
written by Azuren

Things that need to be socialized, but be allowed private sectors:
Medicine
Healthcare
Education

Things that need to be socialized EXCLUSIVELY:
Fire Departments
EMS
Police
Military
Roads
Prisons

Things that should require a job to qualify for:
Welfare
Foodstamps
FHA

Things that shouldn't require a job to qualify for:
WIC
Disability
Unemployment

Illegal things that should be legal:
Marijuana, Mushrooms, and all other naturally occurring vegetation that is classified as a Scheduled Substance

Legal things that should be illegal:
Xanax
Voting without ID
"Dragging people through court" (The act of rescheduling court dates until your opponent declares bankruptcy or settles)
Government officials giving themselves raises
(Can probably think of a lot more)

People who need to be removed from office:
Anyone who's ever voted in favor of giving themselves a raise since 2001
Anyone with an IQ lower than 100 points.
Anyone who has ever filibustered

I agree.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

d21lewis said:
Soundwave said:

I'm guessing being a black person (no I'm not black) for a couple of weeks would be a rude awakening for a lot of people.

Yes anyone can be successful in America if they try hard enough most of the time. That said ignoring that there is racism against blacks or other minorities doesn't magically make it true either. 

I have a black friend and I've seen it first hand, dude wouldn't hurt a fly, but he gets stopped by police more often than I have. When we are social situations he feels he has to go out of his way to show people he in non-threatening. Etc. etc. 

I'm black, 6 ft tall, muscular, articulate, a former cop, etc. I can read a room and sometimes, it happens. I've stood in line at an auto store with my item in hand and been totally ignored for the "non black" person behind me. I've had people afraid of me as soon as I walk into a room. I saw harassment first hand when I was still a cop. Even dated a white female a while back who got pulled over every time she drove through a particular intersection because the officer knew we were dating.

It's real but you can't let things like that stop you from living and you can't let that be your excuse. Some people may go their while life and never see something similar to racism. Some see it all the time. Some look for it in places where it doesn't exist (ie: the black female who was in my fiance's office and thought she was racist). I choose not to dwell.

Exactly! I'm black and my name is Sheldon. My friends from the old neighborhood used to make fun of me and say that I only get good jobs because I get calls back on the account that I have a white-sounding name. I'd say that may be true but I still have to go kill the job interview. I've never applied for a job and not gotten a call back. I even had a guy named Walter tell me that same thing lol.

But yes, can't let that crap hold you back. I used to be the Supervisor for a Washington Mutual bank back in 2007. I was a rapper back then and a guy whom I'd done some shows with walked into my branch for assistance. I was helping him and we were catching up on old times. He asked me if I still rap and I told him not as much as I used to. I asked him the same question and his reply was, and I quote: "Yeah, I still do. But what else is a n**ga supposed to do? It ain't like I can play ball." I sat stunned and responded: "You do know that those aren't the only 2 things you can do with your life right?" But some people have that mentality. Those are the ones who'll complain the most about white privilege.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Around the Network
FentonCrackshell said:
d21lewis said:

I'm black, 6 ft tall, muscular, articulate, a former cop, etc. I can read a room and sometimes, it happens. I've stood in line at an auto store with my item in hand and been totally ignored for the "non black" person behind me. I've had people afraid of me as soon as I walk into a room. I saw harassment first hand when I was still a cop. Even dated a white female a while back who got pulled over every time she drove through a particular intersection because the officer knew we were dating.

It's real but you can't let things like that stop you from living and you can't let that be your excuse. Some people may go their while life and never see something similar to racism. Some see it all the time. Some look for it in places where it doesn't exist (ie: the black female who was in my fiance's office and thought she was racist). I choose not to dwell.

Exactly! I'm black and my name is Sheldon. My friends from the old neighborhood used to make fun of me and say that I only get good jobs because I get calls back on the account that I have a white-sounding name. I'd say that may be true but I still have to go kill the job interview. I've never applied for a job and not gotten a call back. I even had a guy named Walter tell me that same thing lol.

But yes, can't let that crap hold you back. I used to be the Supervisor for a Washington Mutual bank back in 2007. I was a rapper back then and a guy whom I'd done some shows with walked into my branch for assistance. I was helping him and we were catching up on old times. He asked me if I still rap and I told him not as much as I used to. I asked him the same question and his reply was, and I quote: "Yeah, I still do. But what else is a n**ga supposed to do? It ain't like I can play ball." I sat stunned and responded: "You do know that those aren't the only 2 things you can do with your life right?" But some people have that mentality. Those are the ones who'll complain the most about white privilege.

Awesome post. That's all I can say.

As a guy who was born into poverty, I can say first hand that your attitude will get you was further than you could ever imagine. Maybe some people don't have a choice (or think they don't. I don't know.) but I firmly believe you don't have to accept where you are in life. The quote goes something like "Entitled people complain about things other people are busy earning".

Something like that.

DonFerrari said:
Puppyroach said:
In Sweden we have some of the highest education in the world, some of the healthiest people, far less income inequality and a population that is way more involved in voting in the general elections. So yes, making the rich pay more to make education and healthcare available for all is the recipe for a successful society where everyone get the same opportunity to succeed.

What is you explanation that a disproportionate small amount of black people and women are financially successful compared to white men?

And  Sweden is accumulating a lot of debts and looking ever so more to a abyss because of it, but sure keep growing the debts and raising the taxes and you are set for success, for sure.

Except Sweden has one of the lowest debt-per-GDP in the world at something like 40%. We also had a gdp growth last year of 3,9% which is amazing considering how much turmoil we have in the world right now.

Geralt said:

I'm just going to say it, anyone who says we need to increase government handouts because of white privilege is simply not educated. This thread is for us to talk about the notion of White privilege that has really been buzzing around in the USA lately.

Many Bernie Sanders fans want to raise taxes and take money from some people to make education free for other people to eliminate the gap between the rich and poor. This will simply not work.

Not only does this take away incentives to work and be a productive citizen, but it also hurts the people getting free education. As more people are being covered by the government, colleges raise prices because there are more consumers in the market thus making everyone in the country poorer. Not only that, but the value of having a degree lessons because if everyone has a degree it means less to have one.

My ex girlfriend and I had this arguement all the time. She recieved free schooling and i have to pay 8,000 a semester not including housing and travel expenses. She said that she deserved to get free school more than me because i was a priviledged white person. Notice how i said ex girlfriend? She support bernie and used to get mad at m and poured a can of coke on my head.

I work and go to school. I have no free time, no student debt. I work hard and get good grades. Anyone can do the same. We don't need additional discrimination against whites in this country. White people, brown people, black people are all capable of achieving if they try! I am a believer of equality.

What is your take on all of this? For the record, this is not meant to be racist I love the Mexicans, Whites, Blacks, Everybody! I just dont like when white people are held to a disadvanted in society.

As a white male in his mid 20s, white privilege most certainly exists.  No way would I have gotten out of some cop situations if I were a black male.  Only reason we got pulled over is because there was a black guy in the front seat at 1am.  (Assuming, as cops had zero reason to pull us over). 

But this and Sanders do not relate too much imo.  Sanders main goal is the healthcare reform so everyone has it.  If you make under 250 grand a year, fear not, your tax bracket will be the same.  You pay slightly more for healthcare (.75% increase) but your employers pays much much less.  It balances out and you'll be saving a lot of money per year. 

The idea is if you get sick, you should not have the fear of debt.  If you get cancer, your fellow countrymen are there to ensure you don't go into debt for something you cannot control.  What is so bad about this?  The government would turn a corrupt, Big Pharma owned business, into a non-profit system where the only goal is to help sick people, not make millions every year and reject patients who are a liability in your profit making business. 

School is different.  I get the more degrees -> the more people qualified for the same position -> the less the starting salary will be.  But you need to understand the government did not get involved into grants and loans until interest rates and tuition prices got out of hand.  Once again, capitalism showing it does not work because of greed.  College should not be some sort of luxury only wealthy should be involved with.  Or I guess you could go 100 grand+ in debt just to get a piece of paper and continue paying it off for the rest of your life.  

Tax for paying for family leave up to 90 days for a newborn? Where do I sign up?  Absolutely something I'd rather have my taxes go towards over more military, corporate welfare and subsidies and many other things on the budget I'm sick of paying for. 

Renewable energy infrastructure tax? Where do I sign up? same reasons as above. I want a Tesla with sun roof installed in my future house more than anything. 

Tax wall street after taxpayers bailed them out, banks, and automobile companies so hard? where do I sign up?

Break up too-big to fail banks into smaller entities? Yes sir. 

End Citizens United and keep corporations out of politics? YES SIR.  New version of glass steagall?? Yes sir. 

lol @ someone voting Hillary.  Republican majority Congress despises her.  Nothing will get done.  
and triple LOL at people voting Trump.  Not one decent idea has came out of his mouth.  His tax plan helps the rich more than the poor.  No thanks. 
Rand Paul was the only decent choice for Republicans, but that chance is dead now. 

SpokenTruth said:
Lawlight said:

Yes, there is discrimination in the workplace - discrimation against white people as companies want to employ minorities for the sake of it.

That's actrually against the law.

Except that's what companies do - diversity quotas.

And slavery died a long time ago in the US. If you've been living for generations there, there's no excuse other than your own laziness, incompetence or bad luck for not having succeeded.