By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - There is no Such Thing as "White Privilege"

Lawlight said:
And slavery died a long time ago in the US. If you've been living for generations there, there's no excuse other than your own laziness, incompetence or bad luck for not having succeeded.

You apparently think people who grow up in poverty can just flip a switch and be just like you and me.  Some make it, many don't.  Not black and white like you think it is. 

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
And slavery died a long time ago in the US. If you've been living for generations there, there's no excuse other than your own laziness, incompetence or bad luck for not having succeeded.

There was a study released a few months ago that showed that blacks with the same level of education and experience are FAR less likely to get employed even when compared to canidates with lower credentials.  This study was longitudinal.   I will edit with the source but your comments are full of ignorance.  Discrimination is real and this is one of the reasons why affirmitive acton is important.   So those qualified individuals who are turned down are lazy and incompotent to you?  

Look, I know that once you have certain predujices baked into who you are, there is no changing your mind.  but from personal experince I find your comment offensive, degrading and misinformed.   This is a free country though.  You can call blacks lazy and thats your right.   I'm sure I would even agree with you if I had your frame of reference.   I would invite you to do some research if you are interested in broadening your view of the subject.

Sharpryno said:
Lawlight said:

You apparently think people who grow up in poverty can just flip a switch and be just like you and me.  Some make it, many don't.  Not black and white like you think it is. 

Like you and me? I grew up in poverty. Thankfully, my mom and I worked really hard and got out of it. People in first world countries just don't know how well they have it.

20/20 basically did a segment on this where a white kid and a black kid were both basically doing the same thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ABRlWybBqM

Quite a difference in response.

I'm going to ask question as an answer to your question - Do you know there are more nation in the world than United State?

You might need to educate yourself on that subject.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Sharpryno said:

Like you and me? I grew up in poverty. Thankfully, my mom and I worked really hard and got out of it. People in first world countries just don't know how well they have it.

I grew up in lower middle class, but still have friends back home who never did anything with their life.  You had your mom, some people have a mom working two different jobs at fast food places and retail who think they have to do illegal things like selling drugs to get money to help out.  I know quite a few who went this route.  None of them I know have gotten into trouble but I've heard plenty of stories.  

And good for you.  As I said, some make it, many do not.  Don't think your situation can apply to everyone, ever. 

DonFerrari said:

Jews had it a lot worse and from different nationalities for a lot longer, they had come out fairly well.

Whats the context? Genocide versus 150 years of slavery and social deprivation are not comparable when looking at the generational impact on american communities.

Unless the Jewish experienced a recent century of basic reading+writing abilities being trained out of them, we really shouldn't be comparing the two. Not in the context of this discussion.

Human beings are petty, superficial creatures, our brains judge people by looking at them at a glance.

So yes, it does matter what skin color you have, unfortunately, even today. People assume a hundred different things about you just by the shade of your skin color.

It's unfortunate and hopefully we will make past it some day, but we're not there yet.

FentonCrackshell said:

Exactly! I'm black and my name is Sheldon. My friends from the old neighborhood used to make fun of me and say that I only get good jobs because I get calls back on the account that I have a white-sounding name. I'd say that may be true but I still have to go kill the job interview. I've never applied for a job and not gotten a call back. I even had a guy named Walter tell me that same thing lol.

But yes, can't let that crap hold you back. I used to be the Supervisor for a Washington Mutual bank back in 2007. I was a rapper back then and a guy whom I'd done some shows with walked into my branch for assistance. I was helping him and we were catching up on old times. He asked me if I still rap and I told him not as much as I used to. I asked him the same question and his reply was, and I quote: "Yeah, I still do. But what else is a n**ga supposed to do? It ain't like I can play ball." I sat stunned and responded: "You do know that those aren't the only 2 things you can do with your life right?" But some people have that mentality. Those are the ones who'll complain the most about white privilege.

Ohh man I experienced the same thing over here. I have a very french name and I talk with the local accent so employers always used to be surprised to see that I was black. But yeah attitude is everything. Don't play the victim and don't get carried away in troubles.

I was walking in the street with a black friend and a latino friend and a guy passed by my friend, they hit shoulders but the white guy said move over nigger. That pissed my friend so much that he wanted to go after him to beat him up. We managed to calm him down and remind him that getting carried in a fight like that would only make him look bad and waste precious time. Fighting is rarely the solution and it's not like this kind of behavior happens often, white people aren't the bad people some groups want them to be. Be civilized and you'll end up getting the respect you deserve.

Soundwave said:

Human beings are petty, superficial creatures, our brains judge people by looking at them at a glance.

So yes, it does matter what skin color you have, unfortunately, even today. People assume a hundred different things about you just by the shade of your skin color.

It's unfortunate and hopefully we will make past it some day, but we're not there yet.

I assume things based on clothing and the number/placement of tattoos. 

I don't care if you're black. Congratulations. I do, however, care that the white guy behind you decided to tattoo his face. 

Because he decided that. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames