By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Overlooked graphical showcases on 360

When people talk about the best looking games of last gen, the conversation tends to be dominated by the works of Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, and Quantic Dreams on PS3. The only 360 title that seems to get mentioned with any frequency is Halo 4.

In my humble opinion, Xbox 360 doesn't get enough credit for its graphical accomplishments.

For hardware released in 2005, it was a freaking powerhouse, and produced some truly stunning visuals. Yet it seems to get left out of the conversation whenever we talk about the highlights of last generation's graphics.

To remedy this injustice, I thought I'd make a thread to celebrate the Xbox 360's visual showpieces outside of what is generally its sole poster boy in Halo 4.

Forza Horizon

Gears of War Judgement

Gears of War 3

Around the Network

Well said, and consider all GPU's since, follow some of the Xbox 360's innovations it does earn it's mark in history.  Here is one I really liked:

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Developers of the 360 really made some fantastic show pieces. I will admit the first time I played bioshock, I thought I was in a cutscene (lol).

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Alan Wake was a beautiful treat, even when it was a bit ugly on certain parts:

While it was already on PC and looked much, much better there, the work of CD Projeckt on the 360 port of The Witcher 2 is noteworthy:

(btw game is free on 360 right now, go get it!)

And I always loved the simplistic but loveable graphics of Geometry Wars 2:

Around the Network

While it didn't run very well and was heavily cut down from the PC version, I'm still going to give a nod to Crysis 3, just for the fact that the 360 could run it at all, which is a minor miracle in itself.

Halo 4 is a true powerhouse, no doubt.
Played it recently again on the MCC and while it of course saw an 1080p 60FPS boost, it totally looked like a current gen game. For those who don't know, a simple bump from 720p to 1080p doesn't make a generational leap.

Halo 4 is a visual and design showcase for the 360 unlike anything else, but e console really had some fantastic looking games.

I know I said "apart from Halo 4" in the OP, but fark, dem graphics doe, coming from hardware releasing in 2005...

The problem with say... Halo 4 is how much of the details are baked and not dynamic and the extensive use of sprites (Which becomes more evident in the MCC.)
Essentially it looks so good not because of novel effects but because of the great assets, that is a testament to 343i's art teams.

Regardless, despite many people claiming that a PS3 had "hundreds" of gigaflops more power than the 360, the graphics difference never truly showed itself to any great degree, certainly not the kind of difference you got between say... Battlefield 3/4 360 vs PC.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--