By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Is this website actually SFW?

I kind of agree. I don't think that it's the purpose of this site. Same with some of the... weirder or more inappropriate posts and threads.

Around the Network

Whoa, seen this topic and thought... man that reminds me of that thing I said.... and that thing apparently spawned this thread.

Look first thing right off the bat, all the people who are saying "well you shouldn't be looking at websites at work/school/breaks/in your home near your loved ones," What you are saying is, This website is NSFW, if your go to reason behind the content on here is that people shouldn't be on this site while at work or w/e then yeah you are saying that the site you want to be browsing is NSFW in its entirety.

There is a few solutions which are local browser based things, such as blocking all images while on this site, and while that could be done because some people want to make the site NSFW with the images they post, what would it do to the rest of the site? articles, any actual gaming news on here which includes images, all of those things have to be sacrificed and for what? (side issue of note here, any sort of browser based modification to block images is only done locally and must be done to each PC used to browse this site, ie share a link to someone and you dont know what you're sharing in terms of NSFW content. as in, if I block the images from this site there is no way in heck I can share a link from here to anyone else)

That is my main issue, when I'm scrolling down a thread about a new console/game sales, why does someone have a 2 second long gif of a woman smiling with a glove on? Is it that persons partner? the gif looks awful to me because it's looped so terribly just 2 secs and jerk back and forth. I don't mean to focus on just you LipeJJ it's just right above where I'm writing this, I mean all the various pics which are used in sigs and avatars which are trying to be edgy or mature? My thoughts 90% of the time seeing something like that is whyyyyyyyyyyy, what does it add....

The thing is tho, mods haven't tried to make this whole Site SFW and for the people who want their bit of boob (no nipple) or a sexy Bayonetta 3 thread with images of her in every which way (that isn't full frontal nudity) they can have those threads, it's all there in the rules just when making said threads mark them as NSFW, that way while people are in a situation where someone might be having a look over the shoulder then we can know not to go into those threads, having a NSFW tag for threads becomes completely pointless if people insist on making their avatars and sigs filled with items which they themselves in here deem NSFW in general.

Also something you really have to consider is that this site enjoys hits and being popular, and while the logic of "well don't use it at X" is alright for the current user base to continue using the site there have been a few times when I've seen a story on here or a really well made thread which I consider sharing with friends who don't use VGchartz, but there isn't a single thread on this whole site now which doesn't have at least 1 instance of an avatar/sig which makes me not want to link the site to other people, having to cushion a link with.... oh yeah... there is some weird shit on that link.... it's mostly nsfw, I can't say that while wanting to link a thread to a workmate or family member really. In making the site NSFW you're limiting the number of users that can enjoy the content on here for one reason or another, not to mention the fact that there are a number of users who browse vgchartz who are young teens, again LipeJJ I'm don't mean to stick on you but would you be fine with your naked body knowing that there is some users on here in the 12-14 age bracket looking at it?

TL:DR
-What does random semi Hentai sigs provide.
-Such content limits the share ability of the site.
-Local limitations on images/gifs are not shared with a site link.
-There are NSFW regions of this site already, why must the whole site be NSFW.

P.S. for acronyms of things you aren't sure about (see a lot of posts about what SFW means) Just google it guys, the first result will normally be the one that people are talking about, just so ye can jump into the chat right off rather than asking.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I personally don't see what these images add. I also don't see the point in the entire nsfw board. Then again, 90% of my posts are in off-topic/politics, so I'm not exactly in a position to complain on that front.

People who work in places where they cannot spend any time at all doing personal things are in an utter shit job. You shouldn't judge others for "not working" if their employer allows leeway. My employer provides pool tables, Xboxes, a gym, bar, sleeping room, all of which are being used at all times throughout the day. We can go into town to run errands, or do whatever whenever we want, so long as you don't take the piss, and you hit your delivery targets.

That said, I work in finance, and all forums are strictly forbidden, anyway, for regulatory purposes, so I could never come on vgc during work hours.

---

Coming from the position of someone who was (very briefly) a mod, half the reports are of stupid crap that shouldn't offend anybody, and the other half are of insidious people who purposefully try to "bend" the rules in the most ridiculous way possible.

That's why the mods slip on this every time. They already have to deal with a metric tonne of crap from some genuinely odd people. Strictly enforcing avatar and signature rules in addition to the rest of it is a butt-load of work, and, honestly, for very little benefit.

Like I said at the opening of this post, though, I don't get why people feel the need to stick that crap in their avatars and signatures, there's plenty of other places for people to get their jollies. This ain't the 90s anymore, we have tabbed browsers. You can have more than one site open at once.

I dunno what you are talking about there is nothing sexual at all about my avatar....

Just for the heads up how acceptable is my avy and sig.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:

Like I said in my giant post on the end of the previous page, This sort of Sig means I can't share links on vgchartz with people who aren't hip/cool/edgy and who wouldn't enjoy the fun side of what your gif is trying to get across (so basically anyone I know)

Heck my Sig used to have a 100kb gif at the side of it of Renamon doing Caramelldansen and yeah I thought it was cool but at the same time... I'm aware some people enjoy a forum without that sort of thing bouncing about in the corner of the screen so removed it.

Mourn Renamon Dancing.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

jason1637 said:

Well, if topless girls aren't allowed then topless guys shouldn't be either.

hershel_layton said:
Ultrashroomz said:
Maybe it's just me, but for the most part, I think a lot of sigs and avis here are completely fine.

There are obviously some exceptions, but for the most part, I think you can be on this site, and not have to worry about NSFW material every second.

At least it isn't like 9Gag.

100% of people will never use apps like 9Gag in public, since there's a high chance the popular posts will involve someone semi-nude

At least with 9gag you need to log in to your account to see nsfw material. Here it appears for everyone, unless they log in and disable signatures.

naruball said:
hershel_layton said:

At least it isn't like 9Gag.

100% of people will never use apps like 9Gag in public, since there's a high chance the popular posts will involve someone semi-nude

At least with 9gag you need to log in to your account to see nsfw material. Here it appears for everyone, unless they log in and disable signatures.

Aye and if you are linking the site to someone to get them interested, they're obviously not going to be logged in with that setting changed over, again it just goes back to my point about if the site is generally NSFW it is hard to recommend to others to come here (for me personally)

I don't think the only solution to this would be to make it so you have to enable sigs/avatars by default tho, because a lot of people won't see that setting and I think some peoples sigs are great, the ones with the network id they use and the console of choice in it are really great additions because you can see say.... someone is whining about the new psn+ games and their sig actually has the psn+ logo on their psn account then their complaints in my eyes are always more valid than someone having a whine about a system they clearly have no interest in just based on the manufacturer.

Part of the problem is right here (points to himself). I take this site seriously to the point of respecting the mods when they think a pic or avatar is inappropriate. I should know since I had my last two avys moderated. More that likely, I'll keep employing "questionable" avys not to push the envelope, but just to my preference while making a personal judgement call. As implied. I "failed" my last two times. But practice makes perfect, so I'll keep "practicing." At least it has made for a few interesting conversational pieces.